South Africa in Australia (3 T20I's, 5 ODI's)

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Normally very good but was questionable yesterday. Smith should have got at absolute most two overs bowling the way he was going so I found it odd to keep him on for a third. It was also asking for trouble sending Maxwell in at that situation when Wade was clearly more suited to it. Overall, I think he's a very good captain who seems to run a calm and steady team, more so than Clarke seems to. Clarke from a tactical point of view is more proactive, although Bailey is very good at controlling the death overs and limiting damage.
How much say does the captain really have in the batting lineup though?

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
What do people think of George Bailey's captaincy?

Pretty good tbh.

He had to juggle the bowlers after NCN went down, got Maxwell on early (and he bowled damn well), at one stage SA were 3/200 odd in the 37th and looking at 320+. Got Starc and Faulkner back on for the death and they didn't let him down. Cummins was ok except for a couple where he went for a few.

Fielding in general was pretty awful, gave up plenty of extra runs.

Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
76ers
Faulkner>Maxwell...Maxwell needs to go back to state cricket and work on his mental approach, it's absolutely pathetic. Loving Smith's application at the wicket in tests/odi's. He plays the situation soo well! Maxwell could learn a thing or two from him

Faulkner>Maxwell...Maxwell needs to go back to state cricket and work on his mental approach, it's absolutely pathetic. Loving Smith's application at the wicket in tests/odi's. He plays the situation soo well! Maxwell could learn a thing or two from him

He'd have to get rid of his overinflated ego firstly.

He'd have to get rid of his overinflated ego firstly.
This gets said about Maxwell a lot from fans but from all reports from people who know him he is apparently a really nice, humble guy. I can't help but feel that w***ers like Brayshaw, Healy and Slater have pretty much killed the guy's reputation with their commentary.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
This gets said about Maxwell a lot from fans but from all reports from people who know him he is apparently a really nice, humble guy. I can't help but feel that ******s like Brayshaw, Healy and Slater have pretty much killed the guy's reputation with their commentary.

The way he plays combined with the commentary he receives basically dictate that he will be labelled a flog but I have also heard from blokes who know him that he is quite a humble guy. I've met him once and he was good to chat to. Just needs to find some balance in his cricket

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
This gets said about Maxwell a lot from fans but from all reports from people who know him he is apparently a really nice, humble guy. I can't help but feel that ******s like Brayshaw, Healy and Slater have pretty much killed the guy's reputation with their commentary.
Nah, BF told me he labelled himself the Big Show, so I better believe that :drunk:

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
The way he plays combined with the commentary he receives basically dictate that he will be labelled a flog but I have also heard from blokes who know him that he is quite a humble guy. I've met him once and he was good to chat to. Just needs to find some balance in his cricket

This is what I don't understand about cricket 'commentary' these days. If you were standing at the pub watching the game on TV and someone was sitting next to you going on and on and on for an entire game about their favourite player, you'd either move seats or if it was a mate, tell them to give it a break. You certainly wouldn't pay them or reccommend that they do it on TV.

What is it about this nonsense that makes it acceptable commentary? All it does is make you unreasonably hate the player who is the target of that sort of garbage.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thre one game of the series I'm actually home for and have time to watch, WIN decides not to exist. WIN is always a problem over summer. Maybe the rest of the year as well, but I wouldn't know as there is not a single program on Nine/WIN I watch outside of cricket.

Back