IRS - Australia v Ireland Game 1

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a stupid game let's face it.
Near as boring as the cricket.
We should get them to field an AFL team with the intention of getting other countries to play AFL too, have a World Series every now and then. Bring good players to australia.
This mutant game is pathetic and an embarrassment.
Bit harsh.

Well done Perth crowd for showing up in great numbers.

Well done elite AFL players for genuinely wanting to play.

Great game.

This time last year International rules was on the scrapheap destined to be banished but last night it was revived and we shall see you next year at Croke Park

Is Fletcher actually looking down field or just bombing it? Continually ending up in Irish hands.
Fletcher has always loved to grab the ball and bomb it up the field in hope. I'm surprised it doesn't get acknowledged more often.

Last night was the best thing to happen to International Rules in well over a decade, hope it revives an ailing format and starts something new. You could just see the pride in the jumper last night, well done to the players, coaches and think tank for all leading the way with the 2014 edition.

Have always liked International rules football, miss seeing the Sherrin kicked of course, but enjoy the anticipation of soccer type goals.

Get rid of the point posts for mine

Fun game, good crowd. Really well officiated. Seems the rules and their interpretation have achieved a balance between some physical contact allowed and preventing the embarrassing biffo we've used on the Irish in some past games. The team selection for us was really good in terms of exciting play.

Fun game, good crowd. Really well officiated. Seems the rules and their interpretation have achieved a balance between some physical contact allowed and preventing the embarrassing biffo we've used on the Irish in some past games. The team selection for us was really good in terms of exciting play.
the embarrassing biffo not only sold out stadiums for multiple games at a time in Aus and Ireland but also started to draw the interest of many T1 sponsors and TV deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no I in team SJ
There-is-an-I-in-TEAM.png
"I can remember a game, we were down with about 5 to 10 points, I go off about 25 points, we come back and win the game, we're walking off the floor. Tex (Winter) looks at me and says "There's no "I" in team!" I looked at Tex and say, "There's not, but there's an 'I' in win!"." Michael Jordan.

Was a fantastic exhibition of speed and skill, with some toughness thrown in. Obviously the series had a lull period for a few years, but this game should revive the concept. The Aussies are obviously the superior, all round, full professional athletes, but the Irish are plucky, and lightning quick, slick, slippery little leprechauns. Very competitive, and to be respected and admired for that, as they go back to their plumbing and teaching jobs. Future series should be 2 tests, fully re-establish the series for a few years, and then take in international, as Clarko says.

Fair play to the Aussies on their win. Much the better team and really the final score didn't do them justice. the first half was embarrassing from an Irish point of view. I really thought we were staring at an 80 point defeat! To be fair the guys show great heart to make a contest of it.

Just to give it some context apart from a few top guys this was a mix of a 2nd string and 3rd string Irish side. I know you guys have had the same complaint in previous years particularly the last 2 series. It's not easy to get guys to buy in to a hybrid sport.

The series has been ridiculed on both Ireland and Australia and interest had waned completely but the atmosphere looked great, hopefully interest will be reignited. If you and get an All Australian side out again for next year and we can get a few more top guys out this thing might just have a future!

Reading here a lot of guys think it is pretty much gaelic football with side posts but to us it looks like AFL with a round ball and nets! To be objective I think they have got the rules pretty right now.

A big compromise that mightn't be apparent to anyone familiar with gaelic football is simply dealing with possession of the football. A good pass in gaelic football is one that bounces up in to your chest. Suicide in this game or AFL. If there is a guy right on your back in Gaelic it doesn't really matter he can't wrap you up in a tackle, he can block your path and try knock the ball off you but chances are you can retain possession, turn him, lay it off or gain a free if he is forced to pull you down. Guys are doing the opposite to what they would instinctively do in their own game. I think that is something that might be under estimated by Australians.

You got some serious players in the AFL. I'd love to some of your top guys try a year of Gaelic football. Obviously never going to happen given that Gaelic is amateur, unless someone decides to make reality TV show out of it or something!!

Fletcher... haha. Spent his AFL career minding the second back, now when he is key/defender/goalie he shows just how much of a spud he his.
You're an idiot. He spent the first half of his career on the best forwards as has been quite serviceable in the 2nd half of his career. You don't get to 400 games being a spud.

And I don't even follow essendon either...

Fair play to the Aussies on their win. Much the better team and really the final score didn't do them justice. the first half was embarrassing from an Irish point of view. I really thought we were staring at an 80 point defeat! To be fair the guys show great heart to make a contest of it.dn't

Just to give it some context apart from a few top guys this was a mix of a 2nd string and 3rd string Irish side. I know you guys have had the same complaint in previous years particularly the last 2 series. It's not easy to get guys to buy in to a hybrid sport.

The series has been ridiculed on both Ireland and Australia and interest had waned completely but the atmosphere looked great, hopefully interest will be reignited. If you and get an All Australian side out again for next year and we can get a few more top guys out this thing might just have a future!

Reading here a lot of guys think it is pretty much gaelic football with side posts but to us it looks like AFL with a round ball and nets! To be objective I think they have got the rules pretty right now.
I think the biggest tell-tale sign that the AA wouldn't stack up is alot of these players were playing clearly restricted. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for Naitinui, who spent a maximum of 3 minutes on a quarter.

David Kosch came out and voiced his unease on letting his superstars play. I can't blame them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back