A Smaller Game

Remove this Banner Ad

DNine

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2008
West of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Years ago, I saw an advertisement for Recreation Footy, I was very interested with what I seen. But when I looked at it further, it was a concept that was on the right track, but far from a refined game.

Rugby, has Touch Footy. QLD'ers and people in NSW have been playing touch for many years, and it is a very popular game, but AFL, you either play Club Football, or you stay at home, and kick the footy a few times with the kids down at a park somewhere on your own.

Recreation Footy, was a stepping stone into making a game that people could play with their kids, they could play after retirement of Club Footy. There are plenty of kids that find footy with contact a game they wished to not play. There of plenty of Mums, that wrap their kids in cotton wool, and tell them they can't play contact sport. There are plenty of kids, that love footy, but the way society is now, it is important to do all the homework 5 nights a week, and some on the weekend. Two nights of training a week, and a game that takes up half of your weekend, does not fit in with these expectations on our kids now days.

Recreation Footy failed. It is no more. At the time I seen this Recreation Football advert, I came onto this very board and came up with something I called Super 9's. My model you play on a rugby oval, and the position of players is similar to a netball setup. The goals of Rugby, you can make similar to the situation of International Rules, so under the bar = 8 points, and above the bar = 4 points. Soon after this post, I see something called AFL 9's. I will leave out any claim that this was my idea, as I stole parts of their idea of Recreation Footy to start with, and I can't categorically say that anyone developing AFL 9's seen my thread, but the point is, there is a need for a smaller AFL game. The AFL are sort of onto it, and I see it as a huge need in our community.

AFL 9's is popular in NSW, QLD and SA. It has established some decent competitions out in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne. I can't understand why a game that is bigger in Melbourne than any other state, has less venues than the other states.

A couple of years ago, I seen that they were bringing it to Point Cook in the Western Suburbs, but something happened, and it didn't go ahead here. It is in Geelong, and then the closest next Royal Park. So effectively, the whole Western Corridor is void of this game. The Western Corridor is also the largest growth section of Victoria.

So I wrote to AFL 9's and asked why we don't have the game in the West, and they said they had troubles at establishing at Point Cook, because of some issues with the Saltwater Fields, and their availability. I asked whether they could bring it to the West and stated the fact that the West is the biggest growth corridor, and how I felt this game needed to succeed, to get more people interested in Football in general, and to give people a game that doesn't take up their whole lives.

They advertised AFL 9's at Point Cook again, and seemed to have fixed the problems at the venue. I had enough people to fill two maybe three sides if I tried hard enough. I registered one side to get started. Registration was $90 per side, but then a team for the season was $900. So my first team was 12 people. 12 divided by $990, each player had to pay $82.50. Straight away, when I told my 25-26 players keen to play that this amount was needed up front, we dropped to about 10-11 still keen. Those 10-11 were saying how it was hard to come up with that money up front. They were hesitant because it was only a ten game season, it was played half one side of Christmas, half the other. The competition would not commit to which night it was played. Either Monday or Wednesday was proposed. But despite that, I had one side willing to pay their money to play.

Two weeks out from the season, they ring me, and say that they want to play on Wednesday nights. I had a few girls (As it is Mixed) who played Netball on Wednesday nights, so that effectively reduced us to 7 players. I told them that Monday is the night we could play.

A couple of days later, I was called telling me the whole competition at Point Cook had fallen over. They didn't have enough sides to make it viable. I told the guy of my own issues, how 25 became 10-11 when they heard the payment was up front. I talked to him about the thousands of Netball and Basketball competitions around the country, that have people come with their $6-$8 each week, and play and pay for that one game, and how that was successful. My players dropping out, wondered why that couldn't be the case here. I was told this game was different, in Football clubs, you pay your yearly fee, so why can't these people. He said, they tried it that way, but because people didn't pay up front, there was a huge amount of drop outs. I said this game is new, and it seems to me, given the whole competition has failed, that this method wasn't working either. He said he will pass it on.

I said to him, for starters, no competition that begins before Christmas, and ends after, in the most busiest time of year is going to work too well. People go away, and have things on at that time of year. Also if you are thinking of having time off, and may miss three or four games, you are not going to pay for those games only to know that you lose that money.

In the Eastern Suburbs, they have the money. In the more richer area's in NSW, SA and QLD, they may have the money, but generally, the game needs to be user friendly. It needs to target people who don't have heaps of money. There are more of those people than well off people.

The AFL 9's system also concentrates too much energies into thinking the game is a game where in the off season, you can play to keep fit. It is advertised with family type people playing, but in reality, it is merely a preseason comp for the Football players. So if you come in with your family side, you will be killed by seasoned footballers, playing for sheep stations.

I believe the AFL are once again, going about it all wrong. The target audience should be schools. Get into schools, and get these young kids who don't like Footy because they get smashed, or their Mums don't like them getting Smashed. Get them to go home with info, inviting parents to join their kids, and have a heap of fun. Sure, target Football Clubs too, but keep them away from the Family's. Get selling to Football Clubs that Preseason Training is all work and no fun. You can do what you love doing, and that is chasing a Football in a competition, and you will get as fit doing that, than doing laps, and the mundane crap that happens in the preseason.

Most Footballers will stop playing in the On Season, but you would keep the comp running, all year round. Retired Footballers who want to turn up one night a week, and play a 1hr game and go home, like the thousands of Women who are part of a one night a week side of Netball or Basketball do it. It could even be played by Footballers who train the other two nights if they wanted to. So three nights of Football, two training, one 9's. OR, have sides excuse players from having to train two nights a week, to play this, especially the younger teams. They are still staying fit, and with the non contact aspect, the injury dangers are just as much as lane work. You also learn how to spot up targets under pressure. Sure, not tackle pressure, but tokem pressure, as you do at Footy Training. Miss your target = turn over.

In conclusion to this long long rant, the AFL need to pull their fingers out, and work hard at establishing this. In the meantime, I have set up my own in Hoppers Crossing. I have two sides at the moment, playing for free against each other. Just going down to a park, and having a bit of fun. If anyone reading is from the Wyndham area, you can join us. No money to play, just have fun with Footy like you should.

Last edited:
You expect me to read this?

No, I expect you to be smart enough to make your own decisions on what you want to read and what you don't want to read. But then again, I expect you to be smart enough to only comment on topics that take your interest, so that isn't working to start with.

Last edited:

Good on you for making the effort to get something going, hope it is successful. Only issue I have is the term getting smashed when describing junior football, it really is a much safer game than when I played and I never saw anyone getting smashed. Parents really to need to harden up and stop cocooning their children if they seriously believe junior football up to 14/15 years old is a dangerous sport.

Good on you for making the effort to get something going, hope it is successful. Only issue I have is the term getting smashed when describing junior football, it really is a much safer game than when I played and I never saw anyone getting smashed. Parents really to need to harden up and stop cocooning their children if they seriously believe junior football up to 14/15 years old is a dangerous sport.

No parents don't need to harden up. All they have to do is direct their kids into a sport that doesn't have contact. It is not like we are short of them. If AFL want to get bigger, than they need to cater for these people, not say, you need to harden up. There is plenty of people that play tennis or basketball, or any number of non contact sports, and leave contact sports to others.

I loved the hard game, but there are plenty of kids I know that don't like contact, and have pulled out of footy. Do we just say, "Oh well, plenty of others where you come from", or is there another way than to simply lose these kids to other sports?

And not just them, what about the bloke that has had his fair share of contact over the years, and is sick of missing work because of the countless injuries he had while playing club football. What about him, does he just retire and get fat and unfit. Or will Footy keep him going in some other way.

Some kids only need to get smashed and hurt one time, and they are out, as soon as the season is over. I have seen plenty of kids get smashed. Or for want of a better word, hit hard in a pack, come off gasping for air, or with an impact injury.

Last edited:
I just started playing the 9 a side version two weeks ago -

Bit different with the 'stop-start' nature of it all - turnover if the ball hits the ground, no tackling etc..

but it turns the game into more precise 15-20 metre kicks - The way I'm looking at it is that it may help my skills over summer...

otherwise it's good just to be able to have a kick around during the summer still

Bit different with the 'stop-start' nature of it all - turnover if the ball hits the ground, no tackling etc..

but it turns the game into more precise 15-20 metre kicks - The way I'm looking at it is that it may help my skills over summer...

otherwise it's good just to be able to have a kick around during the summer still

Ah o.k, good to hear. We play it that when it hits the ground, it is as normal. It gets a bit tricky when two people arrive at the ball at the same time though. Collisions look like they will happen, but they haven't so far in our two weeks. Think that when it hits the ground it is a turn over, takes away from the game too much. I might be wrong. Some of these rules, you think wouldn't work well, but they do, and vice a versa, some you think will never work, do.

The start seams interesting, I watch the thread and read it later.

Ah o.k, good to hear. We play it that when it hits the ground, it is as normal. It gets a bit tricky when two people arrive at the ball at the same time though. Collisions look like they will happen, but they haven't so far in our two weeks. Think that when it hits the ground it is a turn over, takes away from the game too much. I might be wrong. Some of these rules, you think wouldn't work well, but they do, and vice a versa, some you think will never work, do.

Yeah the ball hitting the ground is a bit off sometimes - especially marking contests.. sometimes it's better to not go for the ball if it's a tricky one and hope your opponent drops it....

We were having a practice/kick at Princess Park and came across some other people who started a 7 a side comp that's similar but allows the ball to hit the ground... I think we all agreed to join that one next summer if we're still up for it - Already paid the rego for this comp so will go with it for now...

That rule seems crazy given it's targeted predominantly at beginners. What beginner is going to be able to step straight in and hit a target? So what i the ball hits the ground? Should be play on.

I play AFL 9s and it is a good game but the turnover thing is a bit silly. Say I smother/touch a kick in the opposition forward line and it lands in front of the goal, it's an easy kick at goal where I should have been rewarded for ghe defensive act.

That rule seems crazy given it's targeted predominantly at beginners. What beginner is going to be able to step straight in and hit a target? So what i the ball hits the ground? Should be play on.

Yeah there are definately issues with it - i just look at it as a run around at the moment so not too worried ..

I play AFL 9s and it is a good game but the turnover thing is a bit silly. Say I smother/touch a kick in the opposition forward line and it lands in front of the goal, it's an easy kick at goal where I should have been rewarded for ghe defensive act.

Yeah it's a bit weird, however where I play it if the ball hits the ground after a defensive pressure act (spoil, smother etc) although the other team still gets the ball, they're not allowed a shot at goal... they have to pass it off to someone else....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue we have, is that every time someone places their hands on the ball it is their ball, and a protection zone is needed to be given to the person with the ball to get rid of it. If not, you would have smother after smother, and the game would be messy. So like Netball, you have this meter zone, where the second to the ball jumps back, and gives that room. 1 meter is not a lot, so the player with the ball, ideally heads back towards his defence, or skips out sideways, as trying to go any more forward, you will encrouch that meter yourself. Which in our game, is still being looked at, to find the best solution. ie, zone diminished by player with the ball, does not mean the defender needs to maintain that 1 meter zone. If the defender touches the player with the ball, the players with the ball has three steps or three seconds to dispose of it.

This whole system is clunky. When a player puts hands on the ball, it is more or less like they have a mark, when in fact they don't.

In saying that, we will be refining the rules to get the best combination. No use the AFL 9's starting this new game, and having strict rules. Some of them don't work, and they are told they don't by participants. They need to listen, and run a period of trial, error, improvement.

Interesting to hear that others are starting their own as well. I am only concerned about liability's in case of major injuries. But in saying that, I have had heaps of injuries over the years, and have a mate who did an ACL, and despite these injuries, I have never seen anyone get a dime out of an injury insurance. If I go down to an oval, and kick a football with friends, I could do my knee and not be covered. Maybe with my private health insurance, which is what I would use if playing for a club in any case.

These systems set in place, that give you nothing if you try to claim, makes the fee's like what the AFL 9's are asking. $990 for a season of ten games is ridiculous.

TL;DR

Man with poor grammar wants to start some form of under 9's footy for adults in Melbourne's West and feels the AFL have let him down in not supporting this entirely different version of a sport played by women, the elderly, the unfit and the soft.

Which is why we have cricket, tennis, netball, golf, basketball and ultimate frisbee in the first place.

I've started playing AFL 9's this year too, it's a great substitute once your body starts to struggle with the demands of full contact footy. Still more running than I'd like though. :p

I understand what you mean about the sign-up fee. Once I saw how much they wanted up front I didn't even bother trying to put a whole team in, and instead signed up as a single participant (although that's partly because I wanted to see if it was any good before I tried to talk others into playing).

I really like the turnover rule personally. It adds an element of difficulty that elevates 9's into a great game in it's own right. I can understand the argument that it might be difficult for beginners, but that's mitigated somewhat by the fact there seems to be no distance requirement, so you can chip it to someone 5m away if you want. Also the ball is softer and floatier than a normal footy, so it's pretty easy to pop it up in the air in the general direction of a teammate, where the no contact in marking contests rule makes things easier.

I've only played two games and all I can say is I'm glad I'm not an umpire...

They're still learning the modified rules too

We've had a bit of a mixed run with umps. Most are pretty good, but occasionally you get one who doesn't allow the two seconds to dispose of the ball after you get tagged (assuming you haven't had prior) and calls every touch as HTB. That completely ruins the game because you can't get any run and handball going.

Sport for adults is very expensive these days, other looking at $400 a season to play cricket.

I assume its insurance as well as council fees for the grpund hire that costs so much.

TL;DR

Man with poor grammar wants to start some form of under 9's footy for adults in Melbourne's West and feels the AFL have let him down in not supporting this entirely different version of a sport played by women, the elderly, the unfit and the soft.

Which is why we have cricket, tennis, netball, golf, basketball and ultimate frisbee in the first place.

Who are you talking to?

For starters, if it was Too Long; Didn't Read, then why do you then go about proving that you did, by saying it had poor grammar, and showing understanding of what the contents of it was talked about?

But if the Grammar police have turned up, well I won't stop them from doing their job. Correct it all then if that's what you want to do.

In my defense I don't need good grammar to get a few people together to play a game.

The AFL ARE supporting this entirely different version, but is not doing the best job at keeping it going.

But while no one cares if you read or not, or whether it was well written, they are either reading it, and getting something out of it, or not reading, because it is not their thing, and either is fine. However you, identify it is not your thing, yet still comment on it, even though you didn't read it in the first place.

I think you're best to return to Bay 13, where people appreciate your attitude. All they will do here is say, here is a sniper, a grammar police, No it all, lets put him on ignore. Like I will now.

We've had a bit of a mixed run with umps. Most are pretty good, but occasionally you get one who doesn't allow the two seconds to dispose of the ball after you get tagged (assuming you haven't had prior) and calls every touch as HTB. That completely ruins the game because you can't get any run and handball going.

That's annoying. Best to let a lot of it go, and give the player with the ball the benefit of the doubt I would think. Considering you take so many options from them, you would think that would be the best way to go to give them the ability to do something. The game reduces flow, so no need to make it worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back