Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Beavis07

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2011
Not Sure
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anybody think Algieri has a chance against Manny ?

Manny will probably win but it wouldn't be the biggest shock if Algieri manages to beat him IMO. I think he is a much better boxer than many are giving him credit for. In the Provodnikov fight, sure he was floored at the start of their fight but if anything I think it made Algieri's win all the more impressive considering he then went and outboxed Provodnikov over the next 11 rounds with a busted eye. Also looked super impressive against Emmanuel Taylor. After it Taylor has gone on to defeat Mayfield and give Broner a few scares so he wasn't your average fighter. Although Pacquiao is again a big jump in class, Algieri is not the mug that a lot of people think he is. Pacquiao will probably get a first round KO now that I have said that.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Manny will probably win but it wouldn't be the biggest shock if Algieri manages to beat him IMO. I think he is a much better boxer than many are giving him credit for. In the Provodnikov fight, sure he was floored at the start of their fight but if anything I think it made Algieri's win all the more impressive considering he then went and outboxed Provodnikov over the next 11 rounds with a busted eye. Also looked super impressive against Emmanuel Taylor. After it Taylor has gone on to defeat Mayfield and give Broner a few scares so he wasn't your average fighter. Although Pacquiao is again a big jump in class, Algieri is not the mug that a lot of people think he is. Pacquiao will probably get a first round KO now that I have said that.

Just had a look, Algieri is paying $7-1 @ sportsbet....might be worth it

Beavis07

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2011
Not Sure
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought Algieri would have done a lot better but I was wrong. Pacquiao would have won in any case but Algieri really needs to look at what his corner are offering him. Very poor corner work throughout the fight and some of the comments his camp have come out with after the fight suggest that they may have sent him out with one of the worst plans ever in a big fight or they knew they had exposed him too early to someone of Pacquaio's calibre but the money was too good to turn down. Apparently their plan was to drop the first few rounds then look for the KO. If Algieri couldn't KO 12 of his past 20 opponents then he wasn't dropping Pacquiao. I still think there is a pretty decent fighter there based off his Provodnikov and Taylor fights but he needs the right people around him to maximise his potential. Pacquiao looked good but I don't know how much you can read into that with the way Algieri fought.

Also Lomachenko looked very impressive once again. Opponent wasn't top notch but to do that whilst relying on one hand for half the fight was brilliant. Going to be fun watching him progress in the pro ranks in a stacked division. Then there is Rigondeaux who could quite easily move up although unfortunately age might count against him by the time Lomachenko is ready for him.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Weird fight going on at the moment on fox sports...They are both just standing there and taking hits...None of them have the strength to move around

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Fight Night on gem right now...Danny Green & Mundine are on the same desk. Both are still jawing at each other hahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Promoting this event, and then pushing a Gallen/Williams "super match" I know boxing needs help, but this NRL based revival isn't the way.

Fenech didn't seem to impressed in the limited air time he had.
I'm surprised SBW is still boxing, the touch up he got from Botha seemed to put him off a fair bit last time Isaw him.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Nope was watching soccer have no idea what's up.
The main event was appalling, one of the worst I have seen in my time of watching boxing. Choco who is looking after Williams was miked up and directly after in the ring said "dont get to carried away as this was..." thats when the sound was muted. The main undercard was the highlite, quality fight.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
The main event was appalling, one of the worst I have seen in my time of watching boxing. Choco who is looking after Williams was miked up and directly after in the ring said "dont get to carried away as this was..." thats when the sound was muted. The main undercard was the highlite, quality fight.

Boxing is a great sport , if real boxers are fighting. Putting up footballers is a joke and undermines the sport, Barry Hall was smart to stay out of the circus.
Really good boxing is all that's worth watching. My mate just left a pub in Belmont near Perth Airport after a flight down had a couple of beers and left as the cage fighting on TV had all the dickheads drinking there going off their heads. That is not a sport.

But neither is cheap s**t boxing, with talentless no names.

WowWeee

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
farrr this Mayweather v Manny match going to be worth over $300m if it goes ahead, incredible :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back