Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Good stuff.

Its because I play full forward/midfield so I need strong arms. Got pretty powerful legs, I squat around 100kgs no issues, just got that much belly fat.

Any exercises or equipment you recommend me using??
Why are you only doing arm and shoulder work outs?

Well make those legs stronger and stronger, they will help you more in a marking contest than arms. Focus on the bigger muscle groups, working your back will indirectly work you arms, like wise working you chest will do some triceps and shoulders. Add in some bicep exercises on back back and tricep/shoulders on chest.

Squats
deadlifts
Bench press
Bent over row

These will work all the big muscles. But focus on your legs, if you have strong legs and plant these your opponent will have a harder time trying to out maneuver you in a marking contest as opposed to just having stronger arms and getting in a wrestle. Arms/chest should be used in the final moments to push off and mark the footy.

Well make those legs stronger and stronger, they will help you more in a marking contest than arms. Focus on the bigger muscle groups, working your back will indirectly work you arms, like wise working you chest will do some triceps and shoulders. Add in some bicep exercises on back back and tricep/shoulders on chest.

Squats
deadlifts
Bench press
Bent over row

These will work all the big muscles. But focus on your legs, if you have strong legs and plant these your opponent will have a harder time trying to out maneuver you in a marking contest as opposed to just having stronger arms and getting in a wrestle. Arms/chest should be used in the final moments to push off and mark the footy.
Squats, Deads and barbell rows take a hell of a toll on my erector spinae. I swap in dumbbell rows instead.

doing them all at the same time can do that and is the reason i don't do many bent rows myself or with clients as you're limited by what you can hold in that position

deads
front/goblet squats - single leg
all rows but bent and t bar rows

doing them all at the same time can do that and is the reason i don't do many bent rows myself or with clients as you're limited by what you can hold in that position
Does that include Pendlay style rows?

thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated. Do you recommend 6-8 reps of heavy weight or 10-12 of consistent reps?

thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated. Do you recommend 6-8 reps of heavy weight or 10-12 of consistent reps?

All reps should be consistent :p Get a weight you can do for 8-12 reps. If you do 3 seats for each exercises, the first set pick a weight that you will just get 12 reps for and don't worry if you only reach 8-10 on the next 2 sets. Just as long as you fall in the 8-12 range.

Just my opinion.

yeah but at least you can set up btw reps and keep form for longer as you unload...i do do pendaly/bent rows but from a bench or elevated surface
As I went to higher weights I kept finding myself cheating with bent rows by sort standing up straighter. you end up working the traps rather than lats.

Once I moved to doing rows from a bench got much better lat isolation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how do you recover from a heavy weight session, its the one thing that always gets me on how people say they go 4-5 times a week.
I do one heavy weight session and the next day/days I'm sore, i want to be able to go more but cant because I'm in pain.
anyone got advice on how to recover, am I meant to be taking some sort of shake to help recovery or just keep going with sore muscles.

heavy session = % of 1 rep max load (e.g if you can lift 100kgs and you did a 90% session then that would be 90%)

fatigue session = lots of volume and fatigue build up

you'll be referring to fatigue sessions as strength/heavy sessions won't leave you very sore in the days after it, if at all

so my questions/thoughts from here would be:

1 - are you after strength, hypertrophy or both

2 - are you using excessive vol and so called "intensifying" techniques? (drop sets, forced reps etc)

3 - are you eating at all like you need to be in the lead up, after and in btw training sessions

4 - yes train through soreness

5 - i assume you're following a bodypart split or something similar?

heavy session = % of 1 rep max load (e.g if you can lift 100kgs and you did a 90% session then that would be 90%)

you'll be referring to fatigue sessions as strength/heavy sessions won't leave you very sore in the days after it, if at all

so my questions/thoughts from here would be:

1 - are you after strength, hypertrophy or both

2 - are you using excessive vol and so called "intensifying" techniques? (drop sets, forced reps etc)

3 - are you eating at all like you need to be in the lead up, after and in btw training sessions

4 - yes train through soreness

5 - i assume you're following a bodypart split or something similar?

Yeah well Currently I weigh 85kg. Have about 20% body fat, I'm about 182cm tall

I've only just started out training after a few month off, I don't want to baulk up, so yeah I shouldn't be lifting to my max, I want to lose a little weight, get down to 80kg and get my body fat percentage down to 10-15%.

I'm going to start doing fatigue sessions instead, 50-60% of my max weightlift ability and train 4 times a week with some swimming.

I've only just started out training after a few month off, I don't want to baulk up, so yeah I shouldn't be lifting to my max, I want to lose a little weight, get down to 80kg and get my body fat percentage down to 10-15%.

I'm going to start doing fatigue sessions instead, 50-60% of my max weightlift ability and train 4 times a week with some swimming.
Lifting heavy is the best way to get ripped.

Calories will be the biggest factor in terms of adding muscle or losing body fat. There a numerous ways whether it be low carb high fat, intermittent fasting have a read of all the threads on here and see what fits your lifestyle best and you can adhere to most easily. Resistant training or any form of exercise will physiological responses in the body to change and adapt. But the key once again is calories, im not saying it is as simple as calories in vs. calories, and the types of food you do eat does matter. But to drop bodyfat and maintain lean muscle you will need to hit your protein levels whilst being in a calorie deficit. And the only way you will look to bulky is if you eat to much and you fail to drop body fat.

A question re: leg day - should plyometrics be done at the start of the work out as an extension of the warm-up?

One of the gym regulars insists it's best to do them first (I had been doing them last) with my big compound sets (either squats or deads) done first. Might be worth a try in either case to change up the routine.

generally after warm up but before strength work but it depends what you're doing them and/or the strength bit for

here are your options:

#1 - if you feel that the jumps potentiate your strength work, do plyo's first

#2 - if you think the strength work potentiates your plyo's, do plyo's second

#3 - if you're neither here nor there do half your plyo's before and after strength work

you might even use those tips as a progression like:

weeks 1 - 3 (week 4 off plyo's): #3
weeks 4 - 6 (week 8 ff plyo's): #1
weeks 7 - 9 (week 10 off plyo's): #2

strength work will need to be in a a traditional strength rep range such as 3 - 6 for this....any higher and you'll have too much fatigue to do the jumps properly

Cheers kirky - I tend to do one big compound exercise in the strength rep-range then a "supporting" single-leg exercise in the hypertrophy rep range (followed by calf work then plyo and/or repeat sprints).

Osteo is big on cycling-through workouts so fitting that in with your above suggestion isn't an issue.

g if you can lift 100kgs and you did a 90% session then that would be 90%)

As I went to higher weights I kept finding myself cheating with bent rows by sort standing up straighter. you end up working the traps rather than lats.

Once I moved to doing rows from a bench got much better lat isolation
Do you mean under a high bench while laying front forward on it?

Cheers kirky - I tend to do one big compound exercise in the strength rep-range then a "supporting" single-leg exercise in the hypertrophy rep range (followed by calf work then plyo and/or repeat sprints).

Osteo is big on cycling-through workouts so fitting that in with your above suggestion isn't an issue.

too easy - follow the progression through then

Do you mean under a high bench while laying front forward on it?
yeah, my gym has one of those benches you can crank up high. Kinda like this

hqdefault.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back