Opinion 3 Big Calls In 2015 - Essendon Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Giles, don't be surprised if he turns out a better player than we all think.
I seen him help GWS to their first win against the gold coast suns at Manuka in 2012.
at 3/4 time both teams scores were fairly close and sheedy moved giles to CHF and he marked strongly , kicked goals and put gws in the lead. Then while they had the lead sheedy moved Giles to CHB and he marked strongly in defence and was a standout in the GWS inaugural win. in contrast Israel Folou did little. Big Ruck men like Giles take a long time to mature, I remember a giant Essendon ruckman Brian Samson [I think his name was] was featured on the rear of the Melbourne herald sun years ago and he stated big men don't peak till about 28 years. So I hope we see the best come out of Giles in his future with the bombers

I seen him help GWS to their first win against the gold coast suns at Manuka in 2012.
at 3/4 time both teams scores were fairly close and sheedy moved giles to CHF and he marked strongly , kicked goals and put gws in the lead. Then while they had the lead sheedy moved Giles to CHB and he marked strongly in defence and was a standout in the GWS inaugural win. in contrast Israel Folou did little. Big Ruck men like Giles take a long time to mature, I remember a giant Essendon ruckman Brian Samson [I think his name was] was featured on the rear of the Melbourne herald sun years ago and he stated big men don't peak till about 28 years. So I hope we see the best come out of Giles in his future with the bombers

How good will it be if Giles becomes a better player than Ryder.
What a bonus Cooney and pick#17 will be.

How good will it be if Giles becomes a better player than Ryder.
What a bonus Cooney and pick#17 will be.

Giles will not be a better player than Ryder.

It would not surprise me if Giles overtook Bellchambers by the end of 2015.

And I think a more mobile ruck is a better fit for a side that already has Daniher and Carlisle forward with Ambrose to do the grunt work up the ground. I'm working on the assumption that there is no need to be stupid about Hurley forward/Carlisle back.

1. We never get the balance right in our midfield or up forward (too slow/tall), costing us a few close games. I think Hird being too loyal to name players will contribute to this.
2. Cooney to win the ANZAC day medal in a win.
3. Melksham to bounce back in a big way and be in our top 10 players.

1. We never get the balance right in our midfield or up forward (too slow/tall), costing us a few close games. I think Hird being too loyal to name players will contribute to this.
Which players do you have in mind?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which players do you have in mind?

Howlett, Chapman, Winders, Giles, Bellchambers, Daniher, Cooney, Watson, Myers, Heppell.

All quality which makes this difficult, but all a weakness running back or when the ball hits the deck in the forward line. Don't think all of them can be in the same team. IMO lesser players like Ambrose, Kommer, J. Merrett and Fantasia would give us greater balance. Howlett seems the obvious first one but after what happened with his contract it's hard to not see Hird being reticent to leave him out.

Incorrect, try again. Exact opposite.
Giles may not get as many hitouts as TBC, but he's much more agile and can help out his midfielders more at ground level as well as apply more pressure on the oppositions midfielders. Bellchambers can use his strength and decent contested marking and kicking in the forward line to hit the scoreboard.
Howlett, Chapman, Winders, Giles, Bellchambers, Daniher, Cooney, Watson, Myers, Heppell.

All quality which makes this difficult, but all a weakness running back or when the ball hits the deck in the forward line. Don't think all of them can be in the same team. IMO lesser players like Ambrose, Kommer, J. Merrett and Fantasia would give us greater balance. Howlett seems the obvious first one but after what happened with his contract it's hard to not see Hird being reticent to leave him out.
100% agree. That's why I'd rather we play 1 of TBC/Giles and let Daniher pinch hit so that Ambrose can help our forward structure, Fantasia has all the attributes to make it as decent crumbling forward and Merretts clean disposal was sorely missed last year. By the end of the year I'd like to see Chappy, Licka, Howlett and one of TBC/Giles out of the side for Fantasia, Merrett, Melksham/Kommer and Ambrose.

Giles may not get as many hitouts as TBC, but he's much more agile and can help out his midfielders more at ground level as well as apply more pressure on the oppositions midfielders. Bellchambers can use his strength and decent contested marking and kicking in the forward line to hit the scoreboard.

100% agree. That's why I'd rather we play 1 of TBC/Giles and let Daniher pinch hit so that Ambrose can help our forward structure, Fantasia has all the attributes to make it as decent crumbling forward and Merretts clean disposal was sorely missed last year. By the end of the year I'd like to see Chappy, Licka, Howlett and one of TBC/Giles out of the side for Fantasia, Merrett, Melksham/Kommer and Ambrose.
Bellchambers gets more and better quality hit outs, which is the most important thing about being a ruckman.

Then why don't we get every NBA reject over 200cm to come over here? No doubt they'd be able to jump higher and win more hitouts. Ryder wasn't a great tap ruckman but we valued him immensely.
My God, do you even watch football? Ryder's arguably the best tap ruckman in the AFL. Easily top 5. Quality hit outs are the most important part of being a ruckman. Giles is average at it, Bellchambers is very good at it.

My God, do you even watch football? Ryder's arguably the best tap ruckman in the AFL. Easily top 5. Quality hit outs are the most important part of being a ruckman. Giles is average at it, Bellchambers is very good at it.

Heel eth, heel.

(you beat me to it BTW)

Only averaged 26 hitouts a game whilst being a solo ruckman, which ranks him 13 best in the comp on average. Essendon also rank 13th in the comp for clearances which is no coincidence. Fact is he isn't a good ruckman based on hitouts, however his ground work is arguably the best in the comp which is why everyone rates him so highly.

Edwards to play 3 or 4 flashy games early before flattening out and going back to the magoos. Media and supporters get excited. Brought back for the last couple of games of the year... which won't be finals.

Only averaged 26 hitouts a game whilst being a solo ruckman, which ranks him 13 best in the comp on average. Essendon also rank 13th in the comp for clearances which is no coincidence. Fact is he isn't a good ruckman based on hitouts, however his ground work is arguably the best in the comp which is why everyone rates him so highly.
When playing solo he averaged 33 hitouts actually. And that's including a game where he only played for a half. Also clearance wise we were 6th in differential this year which is the more important stat. Stopping the opponent clearances is also very important. Fact is you're full of s**t and embarrassing yourself now.

You have to look at percentage of hit outs to advantage, then look at the quality of the hit outs to advantage , then look at the quality of the clearnces and then finally the scoring chains.

There are 2 rucks who are head and shoulders for quality hit outs to advantage at centre bounces - Natanui and Ryder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back