How will the NRL's new Stadium policy affect AFL in Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Exclusive: NRL chief Dave Smith’s plan to crash tackle ANZ Stadium and build bigger Allianz arena
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...er-allianz-arena/story-fnniow7v-1227131329383
THE NRL is lobbying Premier Mike Baird to build a new 65,000-seat Allianz Stadium at Moore Park, making it Sydney’s pre-eminent sports arena instead of Sydney Olympic Park’s ANZ.

The word is that NRL chief Dave Smith is also urging the government to consider building a new 40,000-seat, fully-roofed stadium at Parramatta.

These moves would spell the death knell for the former Olympic stadium, which is hoping the government will fund about $250 million of its $350 million redevelopment plan released this week.

In a sign the NRL will be a serious player in Sydney’s stadium battle, a well-placed source has revealed that Smith is giving the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust $750,000 to fund half of a new “concept design evaluation” for Allianz.

Work on the study has apparently already begun, assessing two options: refurbishing the existing Allianz stadium with between 45,000 and 55,000 seats or demolishing it and building a new 65,000-seat facility.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...er-allianz-arena/story-fnniow7v-1227131329383

Alright if the NRL gets what it wants here what does that mean for the AFL? It essentially means that ANZ Stadium will need to be demolished as there is no way it can be affordable with only the Swans playing there 3 times a year. What does that mean for the Swans who use ANZ Stadium to get a better deal from the SCG and what does it mean for GWS whose home stadium is only a walking distance from ANZ Stadium?

I posted this on the stadiums section of bigfooty but I feel it also warrants being posted here as well. I feel like the AFL made a serious mistake choosing Sydney Showgrounds over Blacktown for GWS and I also worry that without ANZ Stadium while it would mean the Swans will play all our home games at the SCG also means that the Swans will have zero leverage over the SCG Trust when it comes to negotiating our stadium deal.

What does everyone else think about the situation and the likelihood of the NRL getting their wish stadium wise?

Just remember its not just the NRL that wants this.
so does A-league and with the tram line being connected and bunnies in talks to return to their traditional base you have strong case to support allianz and remember the trust really really wants it.

further more ANZ is still causing problems by threatening to go to a rectangle if the state government doesn't pony up more cash for it's redevelopment. ANZ is it's own worst enemy atm, the swans want more games at moore park yet threaten the state government for extra cash to keep the variable configuration.

overall i can't see this government approving the trusts plan as it just costs too much. parramatta and talks of a brand new close to a train station 30K stadium in the greater west are also being talked about, with penrith the main candidate.

both these LGA's will lobby against the trusts plan. but christ ANZ are nut's. that $350Million they tout doesn't cover the full upgrade. it doesn't even include ramp access and brings down its lease extension 250M from the government and the lease extends until 2031.

the way i see it unless ANZ pulls its head in and meets the government half way (and builds the ramps) then Allianz is getting the 200M upgrade to 55K with a roof and the moore park precinct getting everything it wants besides a new stadium and the rest is going to Parramatta with ANZ fighting Penrith for the scraps.

The NRL could fill a 65k stadium easily most weekends.

They just have to work out how to play all the rounds games concurrently on the one field.

Seriously though this is a whacked idea. What is the point of building a stadium that will never be utilised anywhere near its potential.

A much better idea is to work out which ground could take a roof and create a proper indoor venue for the city that is truly multi-purpose and of a sensible size.

Sporting bodies love to take 44's full of cash, public cash, and set fire to them on a whim. Grandiose crap is all it is.

I posted this on the stadiums section of bigfooty but I feel it also warrants being posted here as well. I feel like the AFL made a serious mistake choosing Sydney Showgrounds over Blacktown for GWS

Just a point, sorry to intrude, we had no choice. The NSW government was only going to upgrade showgrounds. The club wanted Blacktown (Rooty Hill) as did the AFL, but got the old "Showgrounds or nuttin" from the government. Then the cricket mad former Mayor of Blacktown and NSW cricket did a u-turn and said we couldn't train at Blacktown (Rooty Hill) full time and booted us out. Which is why all of our facilities are at Olympic Park.

Just a point, sorry to intrude, we had no choice. The NSW government was only going to upgrade showgrounds. The club wanted Blacktown (Rooty Hill) as did the AFL, but got the old "Showgrounds or nuttin" from the government. Then the cricket mad former Mayor of Blacktown and NSW cricket did a u-turn and said we couldn't train at Blacktown (Rooty Hill) full time and booted us out. Which is why all of our facilities are at Olympic Park.

Which is a shame as blacktown is a good area for a stadium. I mean it was reasonably close to 2 railway stations (well close enough via shuttle bus) and for me at least easy to get to by car. It is also much more western Sydney than Homebush is.

Which is a shame as blacktown is a good area for a stadium. I mean it was reasonably close to 2 railway stations (well close enough via shuttle bus) and for me at least easy to get to by car. It is also much more western Sydney than Homebush is.
Olympic park is still officially West (though lets not start up that argument) but yes it would of been great. 20 mins away from me depending on traffic. But when the state is run by the NRL what can you expect?

The SCG (love the place don't get me wrong) support the NRL stance because they don't want a large oval ground out west (where most cricket fans are), as does the A-League because they want large rectangle grounds for the ever shrinking wonderboys.

Olympic park is still officially West (though lets not start up that argument) but yes it would of been great. 20 mins away from me depending on traffic. But when the state is run by the NRL what can you expect?

The SCG (love the place don't get me wrong) support the NRL stance because they don't want a large oval ground out west (where most cricket fans are), as does the A-League because they want large rectangle grounds for the ever shrinking wonderboys.

Welcome to Sydney...

This isn't the Giants' fault, I know, but you'd have to question the (lack of) foresight by the AFL in attempting to enter a new, and at times hostile, market without fully understanding the landscape? Western Sydney ain't the Gold Coast.

Roos had the 'unbeliever' slur levelled at him by Sheedy when he was with us, somewhat unfairly I believe, because of his opposition to GWS -- but maybe the AFL should have listened to the club that has experienced first hand how hard it is to break into the Sydney market? I hope your club makes it, so that the rivalry between the two Sydney clubs grows, but the sooner the Giants get the right people in the right seats on the bus and get their vision, strategy and tactics right, with as little interference or intervention from the AFL as possible, the better, in my opinion.

Welcome to Sydney...

This isn't the Giants' fault, I know, but you'd have to question the (lack of) foresight by the AFL in attempting to enter a new, and at times hostile, market without fully understanding the landscape? Western Sydney ain't the Gold Coast.

Roos had the 'unbeliever' slur levelled at him by Sheedy when he was with us, somewhat unfairly I believe, because of his opposition to GWS -- but maybe the AFL should have listened to the club that has experienced first hand how hard it is to break into the Sydney market? I hope your club makes it, so that the rivalry between the two Sydney clubs grows, but the sooner the Giants get the right people in the right seats on the bus and get their vision, strategy and tactics right, with as little interference or intervention from the AFL as possible, the better, in my opinion.
No argument. Sydney is Sydney.

Very true its not, and while I agree they have made some mistakes, I'm against the Canberra deal, signing up some senior Sydney clubs and Izzy(Though I do understand the reasoning's behind them), I think on the whole they have made more right choices than wrong and we are building towards something (junior programs, schools etc, game day). Everyone brings up the wonderboys but we will see if their success at all costs straight away strategy will work over the next few year now they cant win a game. Lets remember at the beginning we were avging higher crowds before they went on their winning streak (Incl a derby home game with the skyblues)

No argument. Sydney is Sydney.

Very true its not, and while I agree they have made some mistakes, I'm against the Canberra deal, signing up some senior Sydney clubs and Izzy(Though I do understand the reasoning's behind them), I think on the whole they have made more right choices than wrong and we are building towards something (junior programs, schools etc, game day). Everyone brings up the wonderboys but we will see if their success at all costs straight away strategy will work over the next few year now they cant win a game. Lets remember at the beginning we were avging higher crowds before they went on their winning streak (Incl a derby home game with the skyblues)

and as all Swans fans know the Sydney market is very fickle. It is not surprising that the Giants crowds have been low when they have been winning around 1 in 10 of their games. If they start winning 6 or 7 of 10 then the crowds will probably double.

and as all Swans fans know the Sydney market is very fickle. It is not surprising that the Giants crowds have been low when they have been winning around 1 in 10 of their games. If they start winning 6 or 7 of 10 then the crowds will probably double.
Oh of course. But that's like any team in any city. If it doesn't perform, it will lose supporters. This is multiplied when a team is relatively new. Supporters are even more fickle, but once the team starts winning regularly, those supporters will stand fast, and hopefully become diehard

Oh of course. But that's like any team in any city. If it doesn't perform, it will lose supporters. This is multiplied when a team is relatively new. Supporters are even more fickle, but once the team starts winning regularly, those supporters will stand fast, and hopefully become diehard

That is true. It is what people on the main board do not understand as even with teams like Port Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle they already had a large and die hard supporter base even before their first game in the AFL. With Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast it is/was completely different. That supporter base needs to slowly build. It is not already there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back