Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJackal

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree with you KM, that a couple of the top 20 (or at least the top 20 that most of us have identified on here) will have to slide to the Saints. Today I've come to that realisation, which is probably where you've been for a while now considering Duggan, Ahern, Marchbank and now Durdin have been sitting at pick 21/22 at some stage for the past month. Who it will be is anyone's guess really but I think it's definitely someone who we rate much higher.

I've also noticed you have Webb climbing up the order a bit, he is a favourite of mine so have kept an eye on his positioning in your updates. I guess that's due to the talk of some clubs with picks in the 30s being interested, or are you warming to him?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Agree with you KM, that a couple of the top 20 (or at least the top 20 that most of us have identified on here) will have to slide to the Saints. Today I've come to that realisation, which is probably where you've been for a while now considering Duggan, Ahern, Marchbank and now Durdin have been sitting at pick 21/22 at some stage for the past month. Who it will be is anyone's guess really but I think it's definitely someone who we rate much higher.

I've also noticed you have Webb climbing up the order a bit, he is a favourite of mine so have kept an eye on his positioning in your updates. I guess that's due to the talk of some clubs with picks in the 30s being interested, or are you warming to him?

Webb had the one really nice game through the u18 champs but otherwise I've been relatively unexcited by his play this year. Terrific kick and has some versatility but I wouldn't personally be prepared to use a senior list position on him. I have him rising in my phantom draft due to the fact that he is rumoured to be a top 40 selection and is considered a genuine top 30 chance now.

With my phantom draft I take my personal preferences out of it and I place them where I expect they will land. It is only in my power rankings where I order the players based on how I see their career prospects.

kaistar

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Knight I love the look of Brayden Maynard would be thrilled if the pies get
Laverde
Maynard
Gore

Bananabender

Senior List
Nov 19, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Knightmare - earlier this year (in February) you had Billy Stretch at 16 in your draft power rankings, listed first under the heading, "Potentially high level footballers".

I notice that you now have him at 30 and in the group you call, "Capable contributors".

Since February, Stretch has made his senior debut in the SANFL, played a major role in SA's TAC Cup championship winning team, gained AA Under 18 honours, finished the season at Glenelg with a few high possession games (high 20s) and been selected as a father/son at Melbourne.

On that basis he did just about everything you would expect from him so how do you justify the substantial drop in his power rankings from 16 to 30?

Thanks for your contribution to the Port podcast Knightmare. Was great listening to you and missionpossible. Some terrific insights into so many players.

You've both given me even more confidence that Port can pick up some decent prospects with late picks.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
A lot of talk about Langford going to Adelaide, what's your take Knightmare?

Langford is a real chance for Adelaide and if you believe the media he seems the preference of Adelaide interestingly. If Collingwood don't take Langford at 5, Adelaide seem that next club most likely to take him with Gold Coast at 15 but not at pick 8 also said to be keen.

Langford as a list fit makes sense. He's a tall guy, has some versatility, moves well, good skillset. Exceptionally strong overhead and off a forward flank as a medium marking target who can hit the scoreboard would be able to have a real impact.

Adelaide relatively are on the small side with lots of sub 180cm and low 180cm guys so there is definitely room for a Langford. And as more an uncontested guy at this stage with Adelaide mostly a contested ball winning side he is a list fit.

Knight I love the look of Brayden Maynard would be thrilled if the pies get
Laverde
Maynard
Gore

Maynard is good and may not even be available at 30. I personally have other talents but around that selection he has a real chance - whichever position he eventually settles into, to make the grade.

Knightmare - earlier this year (in February) you had Billy Stretch at 16 in your draft power rankings, listed first under the heading, "Potentially high level footballers".

I notice that you now have him at 30 and in the group you call, "Capable contributors".

Since February, Stretch has made his senior debut in the SANFL, played a major role in SA's TAC Cup championship winning team, gained AA Under 18 honours, finished the season at Glenelg with a few high possession games (high 20s) and been selected as a father/son at Melbourne.

On that basis he did just about everything you would expect from him so how do you justify the substantial drop in his power rankings from 16 to 30?

I've watched a lot of Stretch in the SANFL at League level, through the U18 Champs etc. It's less I'm demoting Stretch as much as at the time I wasn't as familiar with all the other talent and it was less obvious who I should have rated ahead of him at the time.

Stretch is one of the best performed players in this draft and is probably one of the more immediate, high production guys. I'm fairly content with my rating of Stretch. While he can to a degree break games open, I see him more as a component to winning as opposed to a reason why you win. In other words I think he'll make the grade and have a long career without being a top 10 player on a list. Which is still a terrific outcome given where you're picking him.

CARNTIGS87

Draftee
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi KM im in a fantasy keeper league, just wondering which players you think will be fantasy relevant. Specifically players who are likely to play half back?

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey Knight, there is talk on our board that Sean Dempster has said that this will be his last year, so who (one or more) do you see as being the most like him in this draft (that we might be able to get our hands on with picks 21/22 or 41, or in the RD). ie. able to potentially play tall, but especially medium and small, to be able to completely blanket the smaller or medium types defensively, but also be really good with the intercept marking (as Sean has become this past 2-3 years) and able to provide some drive, with penetrating disposal?

Yabadoo22

All Australian
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey Knight, there is talk on our board that Sean Dempster has said that this will be his last year, so who (one or more) do you see as being the most like him in this draft (that we might be able to get our hands on with picks 21/22 or 41, or in the RD). ie. able to potentially play tall, but especially medium and small, to be able to completely blanket the smaller or medium types defensively, but also be really good with the intercept marking (as Sean has become this past 2-3 years) and able to provide some drive, with penetrating disposal?
Caleb marchbank would be the ideal replacement fir DEMPSTER if he slides to pick 21/22. Reads the play well, strong over head and can play that third tall in defence

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dempster is someone is see more as ideally the 4th or even 5th in the backline though, not the 3rd. He's so good at shutting down those smaller or medium types (from the very small and nippy like Cyril and Betts, to the medium sized types) and rebounding and intercepting off them, that I see that as definitely being his best and most ideal role. So I wasn't thinking so much of someone to play that "3rd tall" role.

Shuperman

Debutant
Oct 5, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks for all the hard work as always KM, but there should be one more draftee for West Coast at 69 as we need 5 draftees this draft.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
While none are coming to mind at the moment I imagine there have been others who have been able to carry around a lot of bulk and still be highly effective in midfield or running type roles. If worst comes to worst he has proven himself dominant enough forward to be able to be played there most of the time anyway though, perhaps with just short bursts in the midfield.

Chapman 179cm 89Kg as the dominant chunky forward mid

Kennedy 186cm 96Kg as the dominant chunky mid

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
According to Cal Twomey, Brett Anderson, Sam Landsberger Freo will prefer Durdin over Lever.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Thanks for your contribution to the Port podcast Knightmare. Was great listening to you and missionpossible. Some terrific insights into so many players.

You've both given me even more confidence that Port can pick up some decent prospects with late picks.
Nice to see you venture into the real world.

You're my favourite delusional Port supporter, and I love your moderating. Thanks for everything.

I'm also a grammar nazi. Apologies for derailing your thread Knightmare ;)

typewriter

All Australian
Feb 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
D Mckenzie is someone who can play on the smalls, and mediums - will struggle against the 3rd tall forward as he is only about the 183-4cm mark. should be available at 21/22 and possibly 41.
H Beasley can play against the 3rd talls and mid-sized forwards but may struggle against the really zippy smalls. could be got for a late pick or even rookie.

both offer intercept marking and read it well coming in as well rebound with generally good disposal coming out of defensive 50.

TheJackal

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't mean to go off topic but a fit Roberton could fill that void. Gilbert the other one if fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back