Melbourne Public Transport

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering, how do you find public transport in Melbourne? It's definitely not perfect but it seems they are trying hard to improve it. I take the train daily to the city for work.

Personally, I love the journey planner on the Public Transport Victoria website (also use it frequently when out on the ap version) and its live updates section.

The individual operators (Metro, Yarra Trams, VLine) have their own similar websites and aps but I find the PTV website usually sufficient for planning in most cases.

Some good initiatives including a free tram zone in the CBD and you will be able to travel on trains, trams and buses across Zones 1 and 2, for the price of a Zone 1 fare. If you’re only travelling in Zone 2, you can still get the cheaper Zone 2 fare with your Myki. http://ptv.vic.gov.au/1-january-2015-fare-changes/

So, how good is our public transport network in Melbourne heading in to 2015? What needs improvement?

Just wondering, how do you find public transport in Melbourne? It's definitely not perfect but it seems they are trying hard to improve it. I take the train daily to the city for work.

Personally, I love the journey planner on the Public Transport Victoria website (also use it frequently when out on the ap version) and its live updates section.

The individual operators (Metro, Yarra Trams, VLine) have their own similar websites and aps but I find the PTV website usually sufficient for planning in most cases.

Some good initiatives including a free tram zone in the CBD and you will be able to travel on trains, trams and buses across Zones 1 and 2, for the price of a Zone 1 fare. If you’re only travelling in Zone 2, you can still get the cheaper Zone 2 fare with your Myki. http://ptv.vic.gov.au/1-january-2015-fare-changes/

So, how good is our public transport network in Melbourne heading in to 2015? What needs improvement?

The one that comes to mind is improving the infrastructure maintenance. It seems every time the weather creeps over 32 degrees, it pisses down rain or a storm hits the whole system falls apart, I can cut a bit of slack for things like lightning strikes on a signal box but there really is * all disaster recovery.

In terms of infrastructure and service, I think it's great - but that's coming from growing up in Adelaide's northern suburbs, where if you missed the bus, you had to wait 30 mins minimum on a weekday and an hour on the weekend - I'm pretty confident in saying that I've never waited close to 30 mins for a tram/bus/train in Melbourne.

The myki system is a joke - It's hard to keep track on how much is being deducted each time, it flashes up so quickly on the box that you can easily miss it. Don't get me started on the inspectors and PSOs at train stations, but there is another thread about them.

Adding back the single use paper ticket (that the Libs scrapped for whatever reason) alongside myki would massively improve the ticketing side of things.

pretty sure Labor brought in the whole mess and the paper tickets were always going to be phased out

I don't think the fact that it happened once the libs were back in power meant it was their decision as such

I know how much the fares are

It's just hard to keep track of what your balance is, and I don't completely trust that it deducts the right amount each time

You can check your balance very easily at every station. Unfortunately if you fail at simple arithmetic then you will of course find it hard to follow.

har har

your condescending tone hasn't been missed -

There is only one day a week where I catch a train - I catch buses 300% more often than trains, and like I said, sometimes it's hard to catch what your balance is because it flashes up so quickly

atleast with metcards, I knew exactly how many coins I put into the ticket machine / how many trips were left on the ticket...

har har

your condescending tone hasn't been missed -

There is only one day a week where I catch a train - I catch buses 300% more often than trains, and like I said, sometimes it's hard to catch what your balance is because it flashes up so quickly

atleast with metcards, I knew exactly how many coins I put into the ticket machine / how many trips were left on the ticket...

Check your Myki balance on the big station machines when you are at a train station.
Register your Myki on the PTV website and manage your balance there http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/ Just be aware they say it can take up to 24hrs to top up.

Infrastructure definitely needs improvements (ie train tracks on hot days).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide's northern suburbs, where if you missed the bus, you had to wait 30 mins minimum on a weekday and an hour on the weekend - I'm pretty confident in saying that I've never waited close to 30 mins for a tram/bus/train in Melbourne.
I got a train from Gawler central the other day. Two out of 3 trains north go that far now. Its around 15-20 minutes for a train on that line, at the major stops. Express is pretty cool, but only runs at peak hour and is pretty full by Salisbury, over loaded by Mawsons lake.

Cant get a ticket at the railway station on nt terrace now unless you got a credit card.

Buses to Munno para from city now come every 15 minutes, if the driver stops. Alot won't for single white men.

But getting expensive.

I got a train from Gawler central the other day. Two out of 3 trains north go that far now. Its around 15-20 minutes for a train on that line, at the major stops. Express is pretty cool, but only runs at peak hour and is pretty full by Salisbury, over loaded by Mawsons lake.

Cant get a ticket at the railway station on nt terrace now unless you got a credit card.

Buses to Munno para from city now come every 15 minutes, if the driver stops. Alot won't for single white men.

But getting expensive.

206 Bus that went along Bridge Road was my bus to the city -

That still going?

No, 202 and 203's go threw Ingle Farm now(according to website). out of curiosty, what suburb were you in?

Melbourne PT, toot ******* toot....what a joke.

7548706650_c7156c5bf3_z.jpg

The myki system is a joke - It's hard to keep track on how much is being deducted each time, it flashes up so quickly on the box that you can easily miss it. Don't get me started on the inspectors and PSOs at train stations, but there is another thread about them.
For as long as the card stays on the reader the fare and balance stays up.

Be a 208 or something now.

I was on buses that left bridge at wright road and went up winara (where i got on) to beovich then kmart. These were the days bannon made public transport free for children.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back