List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have one question, who was the player with the messy room and who was the club

And which club did that? Hayes supposedly wasn't a neat freak. Imagine clubs leaving him out of round 1 for that.

I've heard we rate Touk at pick 21.
I have to say, I really don't get that, just going by the "numbers", given that he's sub-180cm, isn't quick, is only meant to have average kicking, at best and didn't exactly rack up huge numbers in the champs, or later in the year.

I reckon these days if you are his sort of height you've got to have some real weapons, like blistering speed, or elite kicking, or be someone who gets a mountain of the footy, especially if you're thinking of spending a top 25 pick on them.

Maybe I'm missing something (I probably am, as I haven't dug all that deep and I did read something about him carrying an injury at times this year) but 21 or 22 just seems too early, given who else is likely to be available around that sort of range.

That's where the Doggies took the sub-180cm Hrovat (albeit in a compromised draft- add in O'Meara, Crouch, Viney and Garlett and he likely goes 25-ish) but he has some real speed and some really damaging kicking on both feet and probably got at least as much of the footy as Touk, if not more.

Last edited:

I have to say, I really don't get that, just going by the "numbers", given that he's sub-180cm, isn't quick, is only meant to have average disposal at best and didn't exactly rack up huge numbers in the champs, or later in the year.

I reckon these days if you are his sort of height you've got to have some real weapons, like blistering speed, or elite kicking, or be someone who gets a mountain of the footy, especially if you're thinking of spending a top 25 pick on them.

Maybe I'm missing something (I probably am, as I haven't dug all that deep and I did read something about him carrying an injury at times this year) but 21 or 22 just seems too early given who else is likely to be available around that sort of range.

That's where the Doggies took the sub-180cm Hrovat (in a compromised draft) but he has some real speed and some really damaging kicking on both feet and probably got at least as much of the footy as Touk, if not more.

I like Touk but I agree, I wouldn't use 21 or 22 on him, if we had a pick in the 30s or if he lasts to 41 then I'd take him, but at this stage there looks to be better options at 21/22.

If we think 8-9 of our top 20 will be avail at 21/22 then either the mocks getting around must differ entirely to our draft board or the other 17 clubs draft board because most mocks top 20 don't vary much if at all.

It also suggests there will be plenty of sliders and one I'm expecting us to strongly consider is Tom Lamb considering he ticks a couple of critical boxes being a hard worker on the track (from the club when he trained with us), is versatile (a Richo must) and has the ability to play as a roaming forward (Roo's role).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another I think will really appeal to Richo and co. is Maynard. His interview on the afl site was the most impressive so far IMO. I loved the emphasis he put on teamwork saying he loves to back his mates if they are getting bullied on the field and his willingness to work hard defensively by setting the tone with his tackling game. He could easily be a guy we rate top 15.

If we think 8-9 of our top 20 will be avail at 21/22 then either the mocks getting around must differ entirely to our draft board or the other 17 clubs draft board because most mocks top 20 don't vary much if at all.

It also suggests there will be plenty of sliders and one I'm expecting us to strongly consider is Tom Lamb considering he ticks a couple of critical boxes being a hard worker on the track (from the club when he trained with us), is versatile (a Richo must) and has the ability to play as a roaming forward (Roo's role).

I'm firmly on the Lamb bandwagon if he is still around at our picks.

Don't really care what his "haters" on here think about him.

Can't imagine us taking a chance on him.
My source at the stingers rates Lonie and Capiron ahead of him.

+1. Wouldn't be disappointed with Lamb @ 21/22.

It's not a matter of being a hater, these picks are just to important to risk on someone with obvious flaws.

Agree. Despite the negative reports he's an elite talent and I could see Roo being the perfect role model for him. I loved his interview on the Saints site where he said he would love to play with us and how much he looks up to Roo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't imagine us taking a chance on him.
My source at the stingers rates Lonie and Capiron ahead of him.

I think he's worth the risk especially when you risk assess him compared to others such as Garlett who got an opportunity despite clubs being aware of his criminal activity and drug use.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Lamb more and more and thought he spoke well in that video of him on the Saints website. He also only just turned 18yo and I think has grown a bit this year, so there is every chance that he is still growing and will have plenty of development left in him, so he could be very good value indeed at 21/22.

Given how much we obviously put into anyone that we are considering drafting, if there are any attitude or character issues with him then it's immensely likely that we will know about them, especially since he spent at week or more at the club over the preseason, so if we do see fit to draft him then I'd be very confident that we are comfortable with all that.

He does probably have more "bust potential" than most though, given how inconsistent he is meant to be. Could easily be another Jarrad Brennan, who I see him as probably being similar to in playing style, size and so-on.

As for the 8 or 9 that we rate in the top 20 that we think could be available at pick 21, we didn't mean that all 8 or 9 will be available, but there are 8 or 9 who individually may be available at pick 21. ie. we think that there are 11 or 12 who will definitely be gone, such as Brayshaw, Pickett, Wright, probably Laverde, De Goey and so-on, but that there are another 8 or 9 others who we see as real possibilities of being avail at 21. At least 7 of them will possibly be gone though.

Last edited:
I think he's worth the risk especially when you risk assess him compared to others such as Garlett who got an opportunity despite clubs being aware of his criminal activity and drug use.

38 is a bit different to 22, the Hawks didn't take him at 24 when they could have.

As for the 8 or 9 that we rate in the top 20 that we think could be available at pick 21, we didn't mean that all 8 or 9 will be available, but there are 8 or 9 who individually may be available at pick 21. ie. we think that there are 11 or 12 who will definitely be gone, such as Brayshaw, Pickett, Wright, probably Laverde, De Goey and so-on, but that there are another 8 or 9 who we see as real possibilities of being avail at 21.

That changes things.

I'm hoping guys like Garlett, Menadue and Blakely get picked inside the top 20 which could mean guys like Lamb, Marchbank, Durdin and Langford may be avail at 21/22.

38 is a bit different to 22, the Hawks didn't take him at 24 when they could have.

From memory there was only 1-2 other clubs that showed any interest in Garlett and the Hawks would've been very confident he would be avail at 38 therefor didn't need to burn 24 on him.

Further, there's no comparison to their flaws and that was partly the point I was making. The Hawks took a risk on a known criminal (as did the Pies with Krak) that struggled to be dedicated to a willingness to become a pro afl player whereas we potentially take the risk (I use that term lightly) on a school bully that has had behavioural issues growing up and requires onfield maturity.

Not saying there is risk with him, but if trout thinks there is risk we wont take him

I've come around. We've needed some rage since BJ jumped ship...

Good for you Unc.

We are talking about a guy that's 6'4 1/2 and regularly gathered 25+ disposals at tac level this year. Add that to his elite endurance and the fact clubs expect him to become a tall and big bodied midfielder and he becomes very appealing selection at 21/22.

From memory there was only 1-2 other clubs that showed any interest in Garlett and the Hawks would've been very confident he would be avail at 38 therefor didn't need to burn 24 on him.

Further, there's no comparison to their flaws and that was partly the point I was making. The Hawks took a risk on a known criminal (as did the Pies with Krak) that struggled to be dedicated to a willingness to become a pro afl player whereas we potentially take the risk (I use that term lightly) on a school bully that has had behavioural issues growing up and requires onfield maturity.

We all agree then, if he's there at 41 lets snap him upo_O

That changes things.

I'm hoping guys like Garlett, Menadue and Blakely get picked inside the top 20 which could mean guys like Lamb, Marchbank, Durdin and Langford may be avail at 21/22.

I've been a huge wrap for Langford, but unfortunately, I can't see him get past GCS at pick 15. :(:(

I do echo the sentiments of others in terms of getting Lamb. I'd be reasonably happy, but if a slider slips down like Weller or Durdin, I would be absolutely stoked. I just hope we get at least 1 really good player who is able to play the dual inside/outside midfielder role, and a KPP because it's time we start stockpiling those. (Maybe next years trade period, call up Tom Clurey's management and see if he wants to come on down, I really like him).

and FWIW, its such a shame with kids like Dayle Garlett. Absolute ELITE talent, but just didn't pull his head in. Maybe its my cultural upbringing, but gee whiz, if I had that talent, I'd be running myself into the ground to get a gig at AFL level.

Still a pass for me on Lamb, too much bad noise around him not to mention his pretty ******* weak punch earlier this year. I'll take Garlett, Marchbank, Weller, Durdin or any other slider over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back