State New South Wales Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackson (s**t)
Probably a fair enough comment. I played quite a bit of cricket when i was 16-22 including Poidevin Gray with Somerville and a few times against Jackson out at Penrith - Will did pretty well for himself but Jackson used to dominate. Heaps of wickets, some handy runs.

It gives you a real appreciation of how tough this level of cricket is when guys like them struggle.

Interesting times for the NSW top order with Larkin's performances. Where does Maddinson bat? Does Carters keep his spot? What about Henry?
I'd just * off Henry, though he's started this season fairly well too.

They clearly rate Henry so it'd be pretty inexplicable to drop him after his best run yet.

The most sensible thing is to drop hughes and let rohrer continue his recovery from his head injury
Fair enough. But who goes once Moey and Rohrer are back?

Can't see Carters getting dropped any time soon. 14 and 58 to start the season is solid after a cracking outbreak last season.

Does anyone know the eligibility status of Ryan Gibson?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/574965.html

Played Yorkshire 2nd XI and NSW 2nd XI, been at Campbelltown last two seasons and has started the years with three tons (top score 191) and an 80-odd.

I sometimes get a bit sceptical about guys when they have a strike rate of 115 like Gibson. Sometimes they can just be slogging, but still they are very impressive numbers.

There is another 18 year old sitting second on the grade scoring list Daniel Solway who isn't much further behind. two tons opening the batting, both 180+, a 50-odd and a 40-odd.

Last edited:
Personally I don't know if Maddinson should come back in, after the performances of Henry and Larkin in this match and i'd always choose Carters over him. Perhaps for Patterson?

Patterson will get cut. Maddinsons favoured and obviously has backing by the international selectors.

Carters has too much potential to be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Abbott, Bollinger, Lyon, Maddinson
Out: Hughes, Somerville (dropped), Starc (rested)

Guessing Lalor will be the other to drop out ?

Larkin
Carters
Henry
Maddinson
Patterson
Nevill
Abbott
O'Keefe
Sandhu
Lyon
Bollinger

Another half century for Gibson today. My old man got to the ground before he got out, but he said the others there said he looked really good. At 18yo there could be a big future there. Anyone know his eligibility? Has played second XI for both NSW and Yorkshire and was born in England. I'm guessing it's a Sam Robson situation.

He also said a left arm spinner to look out for is Shane Devoy. Took 7 wickets, and my dad is not normally a wrap for finger spinners even when they've taken wickets. Notice on his Cricinfo profile he took a 9/ and 5/ in the futures league last year.

Maddinson and Nevill got a few runs at the end of the day. I'm not sure if they will be able to play day 2.

Steve Smith out of the match starting tomorrow, replaced by Scott Henry. Some respite for the Redbacks
Brad Haddin (captain)
Sean Abbott
Doug Bollinger
Scott Henry
Nathan Lyon
Nic Maddinson
Peter Nevill
Stephen O’Keefe
Gurinder Sandhu
Mitchell Starc
David Warner
Shane Watson

In: Haddin, Starc, Warner, Watson
Out: Carters (CA XI), Larkin (dropped), Patterson (dropped)

Sandhu a lock to be 12th man. Will be interesting to see who partners Warner at the top of the order. Maddinson batted pretty well at 4 last game and could be counter productive to keep shuffling him around. Henry the other option or even maybe Nevill now that he doesn't have to don the keeper's gloves for this game.

Guessing

Warner
Henry
Watson
Maddinson
Nevill
Haddin
Abbott
O'Keefe
Starc
Lyon
Bollinger

Daniel Solway score another ton yesterday and is now the leading run scoring of the season at the halfway mark. Anyone seen much of him? I asked around and not much. He is either 18 or 19 so pretty young. Also strike rate of 55 to me is encouraging. You often see young guys scoring loads of runs and striking about 80+ (even 100+) and they can be very hit and miss when they go to the next level.

Ryan Gibson is 18 and will hopefully be another to look out for next season, maybe even later in this season. Jake Doran same age and is well known to cricket followers, and a couple of big score a few weeks ago has him towards the top of the run scoring list.

None of the other names really strike me up there. Nick Larkin has played a couple of shield games this season, Harry Evans has been around the second XI, futures league team. Simon Keen likewise, but he is not far from 30 now I think. An interesting name is Charles Wakim, cause he has teased since he was 18 or 19, but now finally is having his first big year in first grade. Is 24 and will definitely be talked about for a shield berth at some point in the next 12 months if he can keep this up, but I think that is probably the limit to what he could achieve.

I must admit looking at the wicket taking lists I don't know a whole lot about these guys. Nick Bills I was pretty impressed with when he was younger in a futures league game (about 4 years ago now). Played a shield game and didn't embarrass himself but hasn't really been on the radar since, but this is now his fifth impressive season in first grade, and has about 170 first grade wickets at about 21 per wicket and he is still only 22. Looked like a bit of a loose cannon, and has a drink driving charge to his name so wouldn't surprise me if he has got a few people off side at CNSW.

Will Somerville has got a run with NSW this season. But Have not seen any of the rest, and don't know a whole lot about them either. My Old man had big wraps on Shane Devoy for Easts a few weeks back when he saw him and he keeps taking wickets. Nick McLachlan is a quick bowler only a couple of years out of PG's and taking wickets so might be a prospect. Tim Ley and Ryan Smith have been around the scene for a while so probably down the pecking order a bit. Here is an article on Josh Connolly, a 21 year old spinner leading the wicket takers list - http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/by-george-the-young-blokes-got-a-doosra-20130413-2hs7d.html

Probably more to be excited about from the batsmen then the bowlers.

Devlin Malone - 16 year old Sutherland leg spinner in his first grade debut took three wicket in his first over. 3/12 of 6 in the end. Had 19 wickets @ 16 in second grade this season to earn his promotion so must have a bit of ability about him.

• Moises Henriques (captain - St George)
  • Sean Abbott (Sydney University)
  • Doug Bollinger (Fairfield-Liverpool)
  • Ryan Carters (Sydney University/ACT-Southern)
  • Scott Henry (Sydney University/Western)
  • Nick Larkin (Sydney University/North Coastal)
  • Nathan Lyon (Northern District/Riverina)
  • Nic Maddinson (Eastern Suburbs/ACT-Southern)
  • Peter Nevill (Eastern Suburbs)
  • Stephen O’Keefe (Manly-Warringah)
  • Kurtis Patterson (St George)
  • Gurinder Sandhu (Fairfield-Liverpool)

In: Lyon, Maddinson, Sandhu
Out: Will SOMMERVILLE (omitted), Mitchell STARC (ODI)

So Lyon in for Sommerville and Sandhu for Starc and hopefully Maddo for Henry, but might be Patterson

Carters
Larkin
Maddinson
Patterson/Henry
Henriques
Nevill
Abbott
O'Keefe
Sandhu
Lyon
Bollinger

Watched Nic Maddinson for Easts against Sutherland a few weeks ago whilst I was in Sydney. Wow that was an impressive innings, against a pretty decent bowling attack. Nathan Fitzgerald would have well over 200 first grade wickets and Ben (?) Dharwuis went through all the u/17 and u/19's and has played some big bash.

Can't remember if NM tonned up or not, but he went close. Only chasing 160-170 so it wasn't exactly a high pressure chase, but his footwork and timing is straight from the top shelf. In terms of pure talent he is as good as it gets in this country. Just gotta start stringing some shield scores together. The Australian selectors will (and should) give him every opportunity to excel as long as he doesn't keep giving them reasons not to pick him, which is what he is doing by throwing away his wicket so often.

Unfortunately the young spinner Devlin Malone was out injured so didn't get a chance to check him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back