Official Team Thread Gold City Royals - Season 18 Team Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay it's time for the 3rd award, and this one is for the best individual performance in the sim.

There we some brilliant matches from an individual perspective through the season. From VitalDread 's 28 disposal, 10 mark, 2 goal contribution in round 14, through to the dynamic exhibition from NathanMJ_WB54 and his 21 disposal, 17 tackle and 2 goal game against the Furies in round 8.

However the game from Wise Guy Sam in the same round against the Furies takes the cake. 19 HO's, 27 disposals, 3 tackles, and unbelievably, 4 goals from the ruck, was the difference in the Royals notching up another victory. 140 exie points mounted his case for another All-SFA jumper, albeit in his 3rd position. An absolute star.

Well done on your brilliance WGS, and one that'll see you etched into the greats of this club.

Personally I think that apart from their golden boy Nath, they hate the rookies and so will only give them votes in their first game as an encouragement.

I can confirm arro73 will receive votes on debut as well.

Round 8 is proudly brought to you by timtamWB

Let me paint the scene for you:

Picture it: Round 8 of Season 18. The Royals, while having blooded some good young recruits in sverik25 and NathanMJ_WB54, were still fighting to remain in the finals race. They had won 1 of their last 5, and only barely scraped by the cellar dwelling West Coast Wonders. They were desperately crying out for a hero against the dominant Fighting Furies. The whole qooty world laughed at the Royals, proclaiming them "no hope" and "a bunch of freaks" and "less than satisfactory in the bedroom."

Enter: timtamWB.

Sure, he talked a big game. He proclaimed himself the messiah. Some were skeptical, others fell in line behind their new leader as they should have. But even they had their doubts.

But then came game day. Instantly, he was involved in the play, dishing off a deft handpass to create space where there was none before, leading to a goal which he can claim as his own:

1 : .55 {CHF} - Not enough pressure on timtamWB.
1 : .59 {CHF} - A slick handpass goes to Wise Guy Sam.
1 : 1.01 {CHF} - Long handpass to the running NathanMJ_WB54.
1 : 1.05 {CHF} - tigland lined up NathanMJ_WB54 and missed. NathanMJ_WB54 just laughs and takes a bounce.
1 : 1.09 {CHF} - Don't tell me he's kicked it.
1 : 1.13 {CHF} - NathanMJ_WB54's kick is close. A goal!
What a great opportunity created by timtam. Pure class. He followed this up with a destructive tackle and a beautiful burst through the middle of the pack to show his grunt:

1 : 22.52 {CHB} - Great tackle by timtamWB.
1 : 22.55 {CHF} - timtamWB weaves through the congestion.
Obviously in his debut game, he already had the head of a veteran, knowing when to cool off a bit and shift the balance back to his team.

2 : 15.47 {CHB} - But chipping in front is timtamWB.
2 : 15.51 {CHF} - timtamWB slowing down the play.
He also showed his marking prowess with a mark of the year nomination, casually fending off his opposition to take a huge diving one handed grab:

3 : 14.33 {CHF} - His kick is hurried - in the direction of timtamWB.
3 : 14.37 {CHF} - timtamWB holds off rfctigerarmy with one hand and takes the mark with the other.
As he surveyed the goals in the final quarter, the crowd waited with bated breath. Unfortunately, his first two kicks were slightly off line, although even the great Chris Grant would have struggled to slot these.@okeydoke7 would have probably sprayed them out on the full:

4 : 4.46 {CHF} - Finds timtamWB with a handball.
4 : 4.49 {CHF} - This will bring the house down if it goes through.
4 : 4.54 {CHF} - Off line - one behind to timtamWB.
Gold City Royals : 16.7.103
Fighting Furies : 15.3.93
4 : 5 {FB} - BILC has it.
4 : 5.04 {rHBF} - He chooses the sensible option - to kick it long.
4 : 5.09 {rHBF} - okeydoke7 intercepts the kick and marks.
4 : 5.1 {CHF} - timtamWB has it. What can he do with it?.
4 : 5.15 {CHF} - That's a massive kick from timtamWB.
4 : 5.19 {CHF} - Just a minor score to timtamWB.
Until finally, he got his chance. After an earth shattering tackle that put rfctigerarmy in the infirmary, he lined up from outside 50. He surveyed the capacity crowd, began his run up, and kicked. The crowd knew as soon as it left his boot that it was through, and not only through, it cleared the top of the goalsticks and flew out of the stadium! THe crowd roared their approval, finally accepting the newest star of the competition.

4 : 14.12 {CHB} - Great tackle on rfctigerarmy.
4 : 14.16 {CHF} - timtamWB wants to get on with proceedings.
4 : 14.21 {CHF} - timtamWB from just outside the fifty ...
4 : 14.22 {CHF} - timtamWB loves any chance to rub rfctigerarmy's nose in it. What a goal.
Then just to showboat, he showed off his tricks with a snap from outside the boundary line.

4 : 20.04 {FF} - rfctigerarmy gives up the chase as timtamWB bounces again.
4 : 20.08 {FF} - A quick snap from timtamWB.
4 : 20.11 {FF} - Terrible kick off the boot... six points for effectiveness though.
And so it was, my friends, that timtamWB in his debut game sealed victory for the Royals against the eventual runners-up, with an impressive 25 disposals, 8 marks and 2.2 for 98 exie points. A truly outstanding performance.

Although he was not alone in the Royals win that day (purely because the league said he couldn't play with only one player on his team). Wise Guy Sam dominated the ruck as per usual, and @NathanMJ_WB54destroyed the Furies with 17 bone-crunching tackles, and continued his status as umpires pet with 3 frees for. But he ain't got nothing on Soggy's 7 frees.

This was Soggy's main contribution.

Oh and Continstar kicked 7 or something like that.

Bests: timtamwb, NathanMJ_WB54, Wise Guy Sam, Continstar, VitalDread, Easty

Goals: Continstar 7, Wise Guy Sam 4, timtamwb 2, NathanMJ_WB54 2, Tommycash, VitalDread, Dirty Bird, okeydoke7, Bipolarbear, The Old Dark Navy's, Son of God

He'll be a little disappointed when he sees the votes, but we won so he'll get over it fairly soon.

Round 8 – Furies
10 – Wise Guy Sam (27 disposals, 3 tackles, 19 HO's, 4 goals, 23 posts)
8 – NathanMJ_WB54 (21 disposals, 17 tackles, 2 goals, 19 posts)
5 – Easty (33 disposals, 6 posts)
4 – timtamWB (23 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals, 14 posts debut)
2 - Continstar (7 goals)
1 – Son of God (23d, 4t, 7ff, 1g, 1b, 3 posts)

Unlucky – bomberlegend2007 (23d, 2m, 4t, 6 posts), Marlowe (10d, 8m, 16 posts), VD (25d, 9m, 2ff, 6 posts)
This contest is over, give timtamWB the ten thousand dollars!

Round 9 Leaderboard.

Code:
64 - NathanMJ_WB54
49 - Son of God
39 - Wise Guy Sam
24 - bomberlegend2007
21 - Easty
15 - okeydoke7, VitalDread
10 - sverik25, Marlowe
7  - Igloo
6  - Dirty Bird
4  - timtamWB
2  - Fitzey, Continstar, The_Reaper

Your other captain Marlowe will now continue with proceedings, with more awards on offer, and the Easty Medal still in it's infancy.

Okay it's time for the 3rd award, and this one is for the best individual performance in the sim.

There we some brilliant matches from an individual perspective through the season. From VitalDread 's 28 disposal, 10 mark, 2 goal contribution in round 14, through to the dynamic exhibition from NathanMJ_WB54 and his 21 disposal, 17 tackle and 2 goal game against the Furies in round 8.

However the game from Wise Guy Sam in the same round against the Furies takes the cake. 19 HO's, 27 disposals, 3 tackles, and unbelievably, 4 goals from the ruck, was the difference in the Royals notching up another victory. 140 exie points mounted his case for another All-SFA jumper, albeit in his 3rd position. An absolute star.

Well done on your brilliance WGS, and one that'll see you etched into the greats of this club.

I've got a four page speech prepared for this.

The conspiracy is confirmed!

It's not a conspiracy, I thought we did a pretty good job of actively hating all the rookies who weren't Nathan.

Round 10
Split round?! More like s**t round amirite?!

Gold City Royals : 13.7.85
Baghdad Bombers : 17.12.114

I'm sure nobody cares if I don't research what our opponents were officially called at this point in the season. All I know is I'm calling them campaigners. These campaigners ruined our weekend by clobbering us by many goals.
Score and campaigner opposition aside we can see that Wise Guy Sam was our best player if we look at DT point totals and DT point totals alone. 94 points was one a head of new recruit TimTamWB - Nice effort - It's God Like of you to get so close to me..eh I mean him.
Play of the day was when VitalDread managed to make a bit of coin in an otherwise average day:
"4 : 16.12 {rHFF} - VitalDread sells the dummy"

sverik25 had 6 tackles in one of his first games in the guts and could also see votes.

Round 10 – Bandits
10 – timtamWB (27 disposals, 1 goal, 41 posts)
7 – Wise Guy Sam (21 disposals, 14 HO's, 4 tackles, 1 goal, 13 posts)
4 – okeydoke7 (4k, 1m, 2t, 2g, 2b, 48 posts)
3 – sverik25 (18 disposals, 6 tackles, 1 goal, 7 posts)
3 - Easty (23 disposals, 1 goal)
2 - VitalDread (17 disposals, 9 marks, 3 goals)
1 – Marlowe (13d, 6m, 2t, 19 posts)

Do people want me to credit their reviews? That one was pretty terrible so I assume that poster will be seeking anonymity, I know I will for my reviews.

Do people want me to credit their reviews? That one was pretty terrible so I assume that poster will be seeking anonymity, I know I will for my reviews.
Not if people realise that rounds 1, 3, 5 and 7 were mine. :p Mine were in depth until I forgot to save my work. :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not if people realise that rounds 1, 3, 5 and 7 were mine. :p Mine were in depth until I forgot to save my work. :$

Mine are being typed live.

Round 11 Preview – Royals vs. Dragons FFC

Ahh… the week we got our arses kicked by our old rivals, the Dragons. Or are we rivals? We hate each other but without the mutual respect for one’s adversary, does that constitute a rivalry? I guess we justhate these guys more than anything else, playing them and putting up with TFW’s smugness is usually a chore. This may have been the low-point of our season and it was just about the midway point. Coming off back-to-back losses spirits were low, and they were after this, they would be downright suicidal.0

This was actually a tighter contest than I remember. I don’t think we carried a lead at any point but we were in the game right up until our old fourth quarter fatigue blues kicked in, right on time as usual, and then the Dragons steamrolled past us. Our third loss in a row and finals were now looking like a distant afterthought.

The plus side, Soggy was co-captain at this point and so I could shift all the blame onto him (the majesty of co-captaincy – it’s never one person’s problem).

Round 11 – Dragons FFC
9 – NathanMJ_WB54 (25 disposals, 11 tackles, 18 posts)
7 – Tommycash (22 disposals, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 42 posts)
4 - bomberlegend2007 (19 disposals, 5 marks, 3 goals)
3 – okeydoke7 (4k,1m, 4g, 24 posts)
3 – Marlowe (22 disposals, 4 marks, 29 posts)
3 - Pogba (24 disposals, 9 marks, 2 tackles)
1 – Son of God (10d, 4m, 1fa, 29 posts)

Unlucky – Wise Guy Sam (15d, 8ho, 3m, 2t, 3ff, 15 posts)

Last edited:
Even better.:thumbsu:

I wonder if you were the slacker I was referring to earlier.;)

I fell asleep this afternoon and when I woke up, the awards had started and I still hadn't written anything. Slacker is a compliment compared to what I am.

Also, I like that all my reviews are somewhat in the first-person. No telling who wrote those. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm being a glory hunter, but it would be a shame not be recognised for my effort.

If you were a glory hunter, it reasons you wouldn't be playing for the Royals.

Maybe I'm being a glory hunter, but it would be a shame not be recognised for my effort.
Your review was pure class. I'm prepared to tell everyone that is was round 14. :p We both appreciated the effort. In fact all reviews apart from mine were top notch.

Honestly, the class of reviews this season blew my mind, and everyone who wrote one that isn't a captain should know how appreciative we are.

If you were a glory hunter, it reasons you wouldn't be playing for the Royals.

As much as it pains me to admit, I can't even really use that defense because I was unaware at the time of signing up of the Royals on-field mediocrity.

At least I have no plans of leaving, despite knowing that next year will probably be a failure as well.

As much as it pains me to admit, I can't even really use that defense because I was unaware at the time of signing up of the Royals on-field mediocrity.

At least I have no plans of leaving, despite knowing that next year will probably be a failure as well.

We have WGS and, as Juggalo Balla would put it, his slick words to thank for that.

Round 12
Alberton Swamprats : 16.6.102
Gold City Royals : 16.9.105

Rivalry round - the stage was set. We faced the scummy Rats who haven't beaten us since the moon was untrodden. Since Zumba was serious. Since I played for the Wonders. But this time they came prepared. With the Royals mighty ruck poisoned by the stench of MoOP we were vulnerable. Lucky you guys did the unthinkable (for S18 at least) and surprised the world by finally winning a close one. Our season would have been far different had we done this more often - holding on to win a tight contest. If we can do this more we will probably be a dynasty or something.

Here are some things that happened:

VitalDread was still hunting for a hitout.

Okeydoke7 managed 1 goal. Hooray Okey!

Sverik25 was BOG with all the stats. He stole them from Wise Guy Sam

Marlowe was rubbish.

Son of God lost to The_Reaper in a pokemon duel at HT. Soggy still doesn't know what the jump button is.

TimTamWB was still annoyingly good for such a new player.

NathanMJWD40 made Easty's locker stop creaking.

Bomberlegend gave us an inspiring half time gif.

NTRabbit said something.

And Okey managed 1 goal. Hooray Okey!

Round 12 – Swamprats
9 – NathanMJ_WB54 (17 disposals, 6 tackles, 2 goals, 22 posts)
9 – sverik25 (23 disposals, 7 tackles, 2 goals, 15 posts)
6 – timtamWB (21 disposals, 4 tackles, 24 posts)
2 – Tommycash (16d, 5m, 2ff, 2g, 1b, 31 posts)
2 - Pogba (19 disposals, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal)
1 – Wise Guy Sam (14d, 12ho, 2t, 22 posts),
1 - VitalDread (20 disposals, 2 goals)

Unlucky – Son of God (5d, 2t, 3g, 1b, 24 posts), Easty (20d, 5m, 2t, 2fa, 4 posts)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back