Official Team Thread Gold City Royals - Season 18 Team Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, the class of reviews this season blew my mind, and everyone who wrote one that isn't a captain should know how appreciative we are.
In all seriousness I echo these sentiments. I read them and thought they were magnificent, and that was in all sincerity. really top notch.

Rounds 10 and 12 were brought to you by WGS, he charges for your applause, so clap cautiously.

The leaderboard after round 12 before the next award is presented.

Code:
LEADERBOARD

82 - NathanMJ_WB54
50 - Son of God
47 - Wise Guy Sam
28 - bomberlegend2007
24 - Easty
22 - okeydoke7, sverik25
20 - timtamWB
18 - VitalDread
14 - Marlowe
9  - Tommycash
7  - Igloo
6  - Dirty Bird
5  - Pogba
2  - Fitzey, Continstar, The_Reaper

It looks like NathanMJ_WB54 has a sizeable lead at this stage, so can somebody make a late charge and knock him off his perch.

The next award is the Captains award. This was the award which was the hardest to deem given the caliber of players and personalities at the club, and it was an award which ended up being too hard to split.

timtamWB came to the club at the conclusion of round 7, with the promise to turn the club into a powerhouse with his superhuman abilities. He improved our list instantly with his enthusiasm to the cause. He's the one Royal not only with the most potential, but one who instantly showed leadership abilities, not dissimilar to that of Joel Selwood, except he played that little bit better. ;) He became an extremely important member of the side and complemented our personnel wonderfully. He oozes class, displays great wit, and he's picked up the concept quite swiftly. Well done timtam on making the transition quicker than I ever could.

sverik25 is a player that was originally a little hesitant to get involved, but once he did, it didn't take him long to pick up the notion of what this league is all about. Not as prominent quantity wise but it isn't necessary when you post in the manner that he does. He has it all, and his progression hasn't gone unnoticed. He's passionate win, lose or draw, and always fronts up to pay credit to his opponents, and we respect that as Captains.

Well done on fine seasons guys, you've shown leaderships abilities beyond your years.

We couldn't split you so I hope you take this award and fight to be the next leaders of the club...

Well done again guys.

The next award is the Captains award. This was the award which was the hardest to deem given the caliber of players and personalities at the club, and it was an award which ended up being too hard to split.

timtamWB came to the club at the conclusion of round 7, with the promise to turn the club into a powerhouse with his superhuman abilities. He improved our list instantly with his enthusiasm to the cause. He's the one Royal not only with the most potential, but one who instantly showed leadership abilities, not dissimilar to that of Joel Selwood, except he played that little bit better. ;) He became an extremely important member of the side and complemented our personnel wonderfully. He oozes class, displays great wit, and he's picked up the concept quite swiftly. Well done timtam on making the transition quicker than I ever could.
I still remember how I joined the Royals: You tagged me in the sign up thread and I had no idea why and had no idea what was happening and absolutely no idea what everything is, but I went along with it. Fast forward to now and not much has changed :D

I'd like to thank Soggy, Marlowe and WGS for being an amazing bunch of leaders. You've all been fantastic in helping us newbies out and being experienced heads to show us the right path when we've needed it. Best bunch in the SFA by far :thumbsu:

And a special shout out to Okey who helped me understand what the hell everything was at the start.

p.s. we still love Nathan more. :hearts:
I knew it!!

4d9.jpg

Round 13 Preview – Royals vs. Warriors

Ugh, the Warriors, the biggest bunch of malcontents this side of Punt road. Playing these guys again should have been the feelings equivalent to having your dick stuck in a mouse trap but they were much more subdued the second time around, which was worked just fine for us, because we won despite nearly blowing a four-goal third quarter lead.

This was the turning point in our season. We’re now on our biggest tear of the season – two wins a row, a royal rarity, and we’re back into ninth only out of finals contention on percentage.

This was the last time I remember feeling optimism.

Round 13 – Warriors
9 – timtamWB (23 disposals, 7 marks, 11 posts)
8 – okeydoke7 ((4 goals), 24 posts)
4 - The_Reaper (12 disposals, 6 marks, kept FF goalless)
3 – Son of God (12d, 5m, 1ff, 1fa, 1g, 1b, 25 posts)
3 – NathanMJ_WB54 (17 disposals, 3 tackles, 16 posts)
2 - Marlowe (11 disposals, 4 marks, kept opponent goalless)
1 – Tommycash (9d, 2m, 1g, 24 posts),

Unlucky – bomberlegened2007 (5k, 1fa, 3g, 2b, 9 posts), Wise Guy Sam (12d, 8ho, 3t, 2ff, 4fa, 9 posts)

I still remember how I joined the Royals: You tagged me in the sign up thread and I had no idea why and had no idea what was happening and absolutely no idea what everything is, but I went along with it. Fast forward to now and not much has changed :D

I'd like to thank Soggy, Marlowe and WGS for being an amazing bunch of leaders. You've all been fantastic in helping us newbies out and being experienced heads to show us the right path when we've needed it. Best bunch in the SFA by far :thumbsu:

And a special shout out to Okey who helped me understand what the hell everything was at the start.

I knew it!!

4d9.jpg

Damnit, now I feel compelled to make a speech as well!

Very well, my story is a bit different to timtam's in that I discovered the SFA through the ad that was run just prior to the start of the season. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but safe to say, I'm happy I found this and joined the Royals. It has been great fun and I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to have played with. Special thanks to the various captains throughout the year (I've forgotten exactly who, there have been too many!) for helping me to settle in and for choosing me to share this award. A great honour. :)

Round 14 Review

Written by sverik25

It is the end of September. The AFL Grand Final has just been completed, during which sadly all non-Hawthorn supporters were bored witless from the second quarter onwards. That game was important, sure, but it paled in comparison to the massiveness of the SFA’s marquee clash in Round 14: the Gold City Royals taking on the Roys in the grandiose shadow of the Golden Throne.

Coming into round 14, the Roys are travelling nicely, sitting pretty in 7th position with 8 wins and 5 losses. Things are looking rosy for the retirees from the Junction. Meanwhile, in Gold City everything has lost its lustre. Their beloved team, the Royals, are giving Richmond a lesson in mediocrity, sitting in 9th (yes, one place outside of the finals) with an average at best win-loss record of 5-8. Should the Royals aspire to finals, this game has to be won.

The Golden Throne turns on all of its splendour for SFA matches, and today is no different. The Roman inspired architecture is draped with golden trinkets of all descriptions, the enormous crowd is garbed in a sea of purple finery, and the likenesses of Royals’ players atop the stadium gleam in a way the Royals could only hope to emulate on the Qooty field. That is, all of the statues except for Marlowe’s, which has been befouled by Gold City’s seagulls, a positive omen if ever there were one.

It is almost time for the match to begin. The Royals enter the field to a polite smattering of applause. Even the coach of Gold City, Prince George, miraculously appears to be paying attention, and greets the team with a golf clap and the enthusiasm of a half-eaten boar’s head. Some of the crowd starts a forlorn chant of “Da luto!” *clap clap clap* “Duo ligna!” *clap clap clap*, while others discuss their plans for the remainder of the weekend or the desires of the latest aspiring family in Gold City.

An air of expectation descends on the stadium before the ball is bounced. First possession is won by sverik25, but it is Fred who scores the first goal of the game for the Roys. The first quarter turns into something of a shootout although Pogba draws the ire of the locals when he forgets which way his team is kicking and scores for the Roys. As the siren sounds, it is the Roys who hold a handy 11 point lead over the disappointing Royals.

The second quarter begins much the way the first did, with the Royals trying to seize control of the game, but only succeeding in scoring points. With the Royals 15 points down and crying out for some inspiration, it is Marlowe who begins his reign over the Roys, booting three goals for the quarter. At the long break, to the satisfaction of the Gold Citizens, the Royals hold a slender three point advantage. Could they go on with it and ignite their season?

The premiership quarter awaits a hero. Cometh the hour, cometh VitalDread. His masterful performance, crunching bodies and winning the hard ball, as well as kicking a vital (yes I did) goal inspires the Royals to bigger and better things, much to the delight of the now boisterous Gold Citizens, who have warmed into the game like a bear emerging from winter hibernation. Rapturous applause greets the three quarter time siren with the Royals holding a commanding 26 point lead.

Now it is the Roys who need inspiration, but despite kicking the first goal of the final term through fitzroybulldog, they are unable to haul themselves back into the game. The masterful midfield performance from the likes of VitalDread, NathanMJ_WB54, timtamWB and sverik25 continues, giving their senior Roy counterparts a lesson in the art of ball-hunting. As the crowd senses a rare win, a cacophony of “Da luto!” *clap clap clap* “Duo ligna!” *clap clap clap* and “ROOOOOYALLLLLS!” creates a deafening atmosphere. When the siren sounds, it is the team from Gold City who are victors to the tune of 27 points. They came, they saw, they conquered.

Final Scores:

Gold City Royals 16.21 (117) def. Roys FFC 13.12 (90)

Leading Possessions:

VitalDread – 28, Wise Guy Sam – 26, NathanMJ_WB54 – 25, sverik25 – 25, bomberlegend007 - 24

Leading Goalkickers:

Marlowe – 6, okeydoke7 – 2, VitalDread – 2

sverik25’s Best:

Marlowe, VitalDread, NathanMJ_WB54, The_Reaper, timtamWB (honourable mention to Wise Guy Sam)

That was Round 14. It was the Royals' third win in a row, and a crucial one to our chances of making finals. We moved to 6 wins and 8 losses for the season, but still outside of the finals in 9th place.

Hope you enjoyed reading. This has been a sverik25 Media publication.

Round 14 – Roys FFC
9 – Marlowe (6 goals, 36 posts)
7 – NathanMJ_WB54 (25 disposals, 7 tackles, 25 posts)
5 - VitalDread (28 disposals, 10 marks, 2 goals)
5 – timtamWB (23 disposals, 8 tackles, 46 posts)
3 – Wise Guy Sam (26 disposals, 11 HO's, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 16 posts)
1 – sverik25 (25d, 3m, 2t, 1g, 1b, 14 posts)

Unlucky – bomberlegend2007 (24d, 3m, 1g, 2b, 4 posts), Igloo (21d, 5m, 1t, 1ff, 1g, 0 posts), Son of God (16d, 3m, 1t, 2ff, 1b, 16 posts)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 2 rounds to go, and before the final award before the Easty Medalist is crowned, I'll post the leaderboard. It looks as though Nathan has an unassailable lead, so the question is, can anyone catch 2nd and 3rd, or even overtake the leader?

Code:
LEADERBOARD

95 - NathanMJ_WB54
59 - Son of God, Wise Guy Sam
43 - timtamWB
32 - okeydoke7
28 - bomberlegend2007
26 - Marlowe
24 - Easty
23 - sverik25, VitalDread
10 - Tommycash
7  - Igloo
6  - Dirty Bird, The_Reaper
3  - Pogba
2  - Fitzey, Continstar

The final award is the best poster for season 18.

It's my pleasure to announce okeydoke7 as the recipient of this award, and another one to boot.

In my opinion this was okey's best season as a poster in the SFA. You'd have thought that the added responsibility of being Admin of the league would have slowed him down, but that wasn't the case. He grew again as a poster and became arguably the best poster in the entire comp. A fair effort when you consider the caliber of teammates vying for this title.

His match thread posting is without peer across the league, and nobody has the ability to match him when it comes to constructive and precise on topic arguments.

I'm drunk so I'll cut it short for now and await okeydoke7 to enter and finish this post. :p

Great season of posting champ, it was a unanimous choice.

With 2 rounds to go, and before the final award before the Easty Medalist is crowned, I'll post the leaderboard. It looks as though Nathan has an unassailable lead, so the question is, can anyone catch 2nd and 3rd, or even overtake the leader?

Code:
LEADERBOARD

95 - NathanMJ_WB54
59 - Son of God, Wise Guy Sam
43 - timtamWB
32 - okeydoke7
28 - bomberlegend2007
26 - Marlowe
24 - Easty
23 - sverik25, VitalDread
10 - Tommycash
7  - Igloo
6  - Dirty Bird, The_Reaper
3  - Pogba
2  - Fitzey, Continstar

I've got this.

Round 15 Preview – Royals vs. Hawks

This was where our season ended and I don't want think back on it for even a second.

Round 15 – Hawks
9 – timtamWB (25 disposals, 3 tackles, 2 goals, 37 posts)
9 – Wise Guy Sam (28 disposals, 14 HO's, 7 tackles, 1 goal, 15 posts)
6 – Son of God (26 disposals, 9 marks, 1 tackle, 41 posts)
3 – NathanMJ_WB54 (19 disposals, 10 tackles, 29 posts)
2 - okeydoke7 (24 disposals, 2 tackles, 1 goal)
1 – Marlowe (20d, 7m, 2t, 1ff, 1fa, 34 posts)

Unlucky – sverik25 (25d, 5m, 1t, 2fa, 1g, 15 posts)

Round 15 Preview – Royals vs. Hawks

This was where our season ended and I don't want think back on it for even a second.

Round 15 – Hawks
9 – timtamWB (25 disposals, 3 tackles, 2 goals, 37 posts)
9 – Wise Guy Sam (28 disposals, 14 HO's, 7 tackles, 1 goal, 15 posts)
6 – Son of God (26 disposals, 9 marks, 1 tackle, 41 posts)
3 – NathanMJ_WB54 (19 disposals, 10 tackles, 29 posts)
2 - okeydoke7 (24 disposals, 2 tackles, 1 goal)
1 – Marlowe (20d, 7m, 2t, 1ff, 1fa, 34 posts)

Unlucky – sverik25 (25d, 5m, 1t, 2fa, 1g, 15 posts)

Top quality review. :thumbsu:

I also noticed I am calling my reviews 'previews' for no explainable reason.

Let's welcome Okey to the stage.

Round 16 V Wonders

By this point, we were over our "rivalry" with the Wonders. They were going downhill while we were on the rise. It was like any other match thread. A few moments of brilliance, a few chuckles and a whole lot of crap. But what was to follow was unprecedented.

The Wonders won by 59 points. It was an absolute shocker. croweater 41 was the hero, dobbing 8.7 and sinking the Royals on the way. For a fleeting moment, the smugness that the Wonders are known for was back. Wise Guy Sam managed 5 goals (a great achievement when you compare him to my first half of the season) and sverik25, NTRabbit and Son of God had solid games.

It all meant nothing. And not because of the hefty loss.

Controversy ensued when it was revealed that arro73 was denied his debut game by the simmer. The change did not take effect in the game that was simulated. Debate roared. The SFA public had their say, the committee had their say and the admin had his say (yep, that was pretty much third person. I'm deteriorating here, even by my standards).

The debate over the next 24 hours was vastly more interesting than the match thread or the game itself. The most disappointed with the decision to re-sim the match was the hero of the day in Crowie. But the re-sim decision kept us alive (albeit hanging by a thread) in the finals race.

GAME 2 was upon us. This time, a much more even contest after a hot lead-up. And this time, the game was worthy of celebration. A 5 point victory to the Royals marked a dramatic turnaround and had the conspiracy theorists working overtime.

Truth be told, we were dominant. We lead by 24 points at the first break and extended that to as much as 48 points during the second term. We held off a brave Wonders fight back. It was a low possession game, but Dirty Bird and VitalDread were strong with the footy, and bomberlegend2007 played a really important role with 15 possessions and 2 goals. NathanMJ_y9183y57`391p3iu9bqpqHBDO82882uand Son of God could also feature prominently in the votes.

Two last points of observation:
- Arro73 had a shocking debut anyway. He had very little impact with his 11 possessions rendering just 33 dream team points. Yet he clearly had the most impact on the game. He was responsible for a huge loss ending up in a tight win. Thanks Arro.
- Crowie only managed 3 goals for the Wonders and dropped a mark with seconds remaining that could have won them the game. LOL. From hero to villain.

It was controversial and memorable, not that we would have predicted that as the game was being simmed on the Sunday. But that's the SFA. You never know what's coming next.

Round 16 – Wonders
5 – arro73 (11d, 1m, 1fa, 1g, 1b, 5 posts, the reason for the re-sim)
5 - Dirty Bird (25 disposals, 6 tackles)
5 – NathanMJ_WB54 (20 disposals,6 tackles, 2 goals, 12 posts)
4 – Son of God (17d, 2m, 1g, 1b, 21 posts, protested for the re-sim)
3 – Marlowe (15d, 4m, 2t, 2ff, 23 posts, also protested for the re-sim)
3 - bomberlegend2007 (15 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 2 goals)
2 – okeydoke7 (15d, 4m, 1t, 16 posts, commissioned the re-sim)
2 - VitalDread (21 disposals, 14 HO's, 4 tackles)
1 - Pogba (23 disposals, 8 marks, 2 tackles)

Unlucky – timtamWB (3d, 1ff, 1b, 35 posts), Wise Guy Sam (3d, 2t, 3g, 14 posts)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back