Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
England scored 5/206 in 40 overs chasing 227 on the last day of the 5th Ashes Test in 2013. The umpires came off for bad light had that not happened England would certainly have won as they still had four overs and 5 wickets in hand. Then there was that victory in Adelaide in 2006 when Hussey smashed them and Australia scored 168 in just 32 overs. It is all about the number of overs that must be bowled.

That said the Pakis do not look interested. They look like they are happy to go to the third Test 1-0 up.
Pakis 1/59 requiring 202 off 49 overs with 9 wickets in hand. Still achievable but not likely.

Australia have it tied up now but SA have not helped themselves. Everyone is going on about the last 10 over collapse but they've also bowled some very loose deliveries down the stretch. And they had a very strange field with deep midwicket instead of long-on fieldsmen.
Couldn't understand some of Parnell's bowling either. He bowls a very good Yorker but he would also bowl short overs that often went for boundaries.

Pakistan finished at 5/196 against the Kiwis. The Pakis lost 3 quick wickets after lunch and from then on they played with not losing in mind. Bad light stopped play half an hour early If the match had gone full time the Pakis would probably have finished within 50 runs of their target.

Well done to the Black Caps, this match showed that when the Pakis have to chase they are not nearly as dominant. The Pakis have never been a mentally tough outfit and if the Kiwis can bat first in the final Test and force them to chase it could again be interesting.

This will be a bloody great win for the Aussies! Although Healy's commentary is over the top...

Agreed, but I reckon Tubby Taylor is a Barry Crocker of a commentator as well, at times he makes Crowie sound intelligent.

Sensational win by the Aussies though, Smith's innings obviously set it up, and Faulkner's cameo was brutal.

Agreed, but I reckon Tubby Taylor is a Barry Crocker of a commentator as well, at times he makes Crowie sound intelligent.

Sensational win by the Aussies though, Smith's innings obviously set it up, and Faulkner's cameo was brutal.
A win like that must give the Aussies a huge amount of confidence, ahead of the World Cup. The thing is, we can only pick a squad of 15, so there will be some very unlucky players who won't be part of the action. I think the squad has to be finalised about 3 weeks before the tournament, which starts on February 14.

Pakistan finished at 5/196 against the Kiwis. The Pakis lost 3 quick wickets after lunch and from then on they played with not losing in mind. Bad light stopped play half an hour early If the match had gone full time the Pakis would probably have finished within 50 runs of their target.

Well done to the Black Caps, this match showed that when the Pakis have to chase they are not nearly as dominant. The Pakis have never been a mentally tough outfit and if the Kiwis can bat first in the final Test and force them to chase it could again be interesting.
The Kiwis have definitely got some guts. We play them in Australia next summer, and if they play as they did in this game, it could be a very competitive series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two dismissals, or rather one dismissal and one non-dismissal went Australia's way and may have changed the outcome. When DeKock was dismissed he had not been given out but walked. He snicked the ball but the Australians could not review, having none left, and the umpire only gave him out after he walked. And Steve Smith was caught behind on 26, but the South Africans did not review, in fact according to what I heard(I was not watching the telly at that time) they did not even appeal. And from all reports it was a big edge.

Whether that would have affected it all that much is a moot point, as I got the impression Australia were in a bit of carnival mode when they lost 5/21, having sewn up the game by then.

Series was done & dusted with the Saffers having a few out but it'll be good to have the #1 ranking heading into the world cup, the batting order is a bit of a worry but Smith is a gun & we have the best quick bowlers in the world.

This XI still has the odd glaring weakness & needs the tag of being the best ranked side to put some doubt in the oppositions minds, as it stands there'd be a few teams going into the tournament who'd still fancy their chances of knocking us off.

Series was done & dusted with the Saffers having a few out but it'll be good to have the #1 ranking heading into the world cup, the batting order is a bit of a worry but Smith is a gun & we have the best quick bowlers in the world.

This XI still has the odd glaring weakness & needs the tag of being the best ranked side to put some doubt in the oppositions minds, as it stands there'd be a few teams going into the tournament who'd still fancy their chances of knocking us off.
We also have the tri series against India and England, following the 4 Tests against India. I reckon all 3 teams will use that series as a full dress rehearsal for the World Cup, whereas the last 5 games against the Proteas were used as a bit of an experiment. For example, I reckon Johnson will play more of a role than he did against South Africa.

Bit of a controversy in NSW grade with Western Suburbs playing Paramatta. Western Suburbs, Michael Clarkes' team, declared at 0/17 with the captain, Jeff Cook, saying it was to give Michael Clarke the best chance to bat next week. The Paramatta skipper was a bit pissed off but declared at 2/140 and stated that he was considering declaring at 0/18. I would have thought that a better objection would be to bat as long as they could so that Michael Clarke could not even get a bat. After all, the objection was that grade cricket should be to give up and coming cricketers a chance to show their wares for state.

Interesting that de Villiers didn't say these words on Australian soil :)

"There is absolutely no doubt in [my] mind we are the better team," de Villiers said on the squad's arrival back in South Africa. "We didn't play the big moments as well as we wanted to but I really believe we could have beaten them 4-1 on another day but it didn't happen that way. They will be one of the favourites for the World Cup but I still believe we are better team. We will be the team to beat at the World Cup."

If I was a betting man, I'd say cricket's greatest chokers will once again choke on the big stage.

Phil Hughes has been knocked out in the Shield game by a Sean Abbott bouncer by the sounds of it.

hughes.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back