2014 Formula One World Championship - Round Nineteen - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (21-23 November 2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
I wonder how much more Hamilton has to prove himself? Double champion, outfought an established champion in his first season and narrowly missed out then, won it in only his second year, and now finally joins the list of multiple title holders.

FP seems a bit bitey this evening. :drunk:

I am quite amused at the naysayers. Lewis Hamilton deserved the title this year, no matter how you dice it. 11 wins, beat his teammate fair and square more often than the reverse. I thought only Martin Brundle was making irrelevant references to Brazil 2008.

I don't want Mark ******* Howard cutting to ad breaks...
musa3.jpg

"And we will take this opportunity to take a quick brake"

Anyone? ;)

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I am quite amused at the naysayers. Lewis Hamilton deserved the title this year, no matter how you dice it. 11 wins, beat his teammate fair and square more often than the reverse.
Not once have I said he didn't deserve it THIS year.
I thought only Martin Brundle was making irrelevant references to Brazil 2008.
Perhaps because he also believes that 2008 wasn't his to win. But hey, what would he know.

I am quite amused at the naysayers. Lewis Hamilton deserved the title this year, no matter how you dice it. 11 wins, beat his teammate fair and square more often than the reverse. I thought only Martin Brundle was making irrelevant references to Brazil 2008.
Yep he earnt it, was the most consistent driver in the best car. Always been one of the best pure racers in the field. Im not a fan but he gets massive respect for his talent and ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Vettel was just a good bloke and let him start ahead.

Well done to Lewis. Not his fault none of the other cars were up to it, meant he was in a battle of 2 but doesn't mean he didn't deserve. Hopefully Renault get their act together and get something close to the Mercs.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
IIRC when it comes to pit lane starts it's first come first served. Especially important when there are multiple teams.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Sky said that Vettel started ahead of Dan because Seb had the better FP3 time given that their qualy times were wiped

Yeah I understand that, but as you can see in the picture, VET actually started from behind RIC (though the tweet has now disappeared?)

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Please explain? How did HAM benefit from double points?
It just blew out his overall title lead. To the equivalent of having another race win, where Rosberg scored 0 points.

Um, Lewis had 3 DNFs, Nico 2 DNFs and one non-points finish due to mechanical trouble. Lewis also had two mechanical failures in quali. He didn't benefit from double points either - he would have won the title today with regular points regardless, since he won.
Hamilton had 2 races affected by mechanical failure (Australia, Canada). He tanked it in Belgium, unlike Rosberg in AD (Rosberg was worse off too).

Rosberg had 4 races affected by mechanical problems. Two of them costing him likely wins (Canada and Britain).

As far as the qualifying problems go. Rosberg had the same issues in Germany with the brakes like Hamilton did. Except he didn't bury it in the wall. This cannot be viewed as misfortune for Hamilton. In hindsight, Hamilton's blown engine proved to be advantageous, with starting form the pit, relative to Rosberg.

The superiority of the Merc was so emphatic, that starting rom the pit was only a minor hiccup, compared to the kind of penalty starting from the pit normally is. Look at Rosberg's performance in Russia to back up my point.

Rosberg was the only guy during the year that was denied definite race wins by mechanical failure (Canada, Britain). Hamilton did not have such misfortune. Add to that Hungary, where Rosberg was leading early and would never have been headed if it were for an ill-timed safety car, and that's 3 wins Rosberg could've got, but didn't.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There was nothing in that tweetpic though to indicate it was taken at the start of the race.
According to the official FIA lap chart, Dan started last and passed Seb on the first lap.
http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-formula-1-world-championship/2014/2014-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-lap-chart

Good to see something official, thanks for posting :)

F1 Fanatic is normally pretty well on the money most times so I doubted he would post that up that tweet/picture without having some proof.

Ah well, sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
This has to be up there with one of the funniest moments of the 2014 F1 season:

Code:
http://gfycat.com/OddUntidyKinglet