Gold Coast Suns don't rate us?

Remove this Banner Ad

We all remember that shocker of a game last season but was it really an indication of where both lists are at? I sure hope not.

But reading this article there is a hint that they do.

“They couldn’t get a hand on any of us in the first half that day." Scott Clayton

Hope we put them right back into their place at Metricon on July 4th. I have this game pencilled in for a number of reasons. The fact I'm planning to attend it is one of them.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...-assault-in-2015/story-fni5f7ka-1227132287563

We all remember that shocker of a game last season but was it really an indication of where both lists are at? I sure hope not.

But reading this article there is a hint that they do.

“They couldn’t get a hand on any of us in the first half that day." Scott Clayton

Hope we put them right back into their place at Metricon on July 4th. I have this game pencilled in for a number of reasons. The fact I'm planning to attend it is one of them.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...-assault-in-2015/story-fni5f7ka-1227132287563

He's right, we couldn't. Good thing there's more than one game in a season.

The fact he chose to bring it up 6 months later though, means they think this game is the indicator for them. We need to show it was just a s**t day at the office.

Injuries is being a bit kind Scott, refine it to injury......

They completely and utterly capitulated with the loss of 1 midfielder.

In the context of the article - talking about the way they want to play and who they want to recruit - I thought highlighting that game, that half, that quarter, was relevant. It wasn't especially dissing us. There are landmark games in any teams development, assuming unlike Melbourne that they do develop, and I can see that they'd have taken a lot of heart from that one as a good win against quality opposition they see as trending up, like themselves.

That quarter showcased their talent and potential and showed us what we could be up against in coming years as they mature further. We've been looking ahead at our benchmarks; we need to start looking behind our shoulders now too.

Coaches and players keep trying out that American psycho-babble upmanship crap in the AFL and it usually backfires completely (i.e.. Geelong trying to knock Goldy off his game pre the semifinal).

In the context of the article - talking about the way they want to play and who they want to recruit - I thought highlighting that game, that half, that quarter, was relevant. It wasn't especially dissing us. There are landmark games in any teams development, assuming unlike Melbourne that they do develop, and I can see that they'd have taken a lot of heart from that one as a good win against quality opposition they see as trending up, like themselves.

That quarter showcased their talent and potential and showed us what we could be up against in coming years as they mature further. We've been looking ahead at our benchmarks; we need to start looking behind our shoulders now too.
Good take on it Kimbo. I just reckon stuff that might piss off other clubs or players and come back to bite should remain in-house. Brad does a bit of this with the media too, but I prefer playing the dead bat in naming other clubs or games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their 1st quarter was text book - and against a top 4 side too. Made us look completely inept.

If we did that to a strong side we'd never shut up about it.
Whilst that may be the case, I still don't like reading this to be honest. I'd like to think we will be well motivated to reverse that result in July, as that will be quite important for us to show them how far they still are from challenging.

They got rid of McKenna because of an injury to one player,i think that sais alot of their Club....

They got rid of McKenna because of an injury to one player,i think that sais alot of their Club....
Not sure this comment makes much sense to be honest.

Their whole team fell apart with the loss of their best (and the league's best) player.
Yes, and while that's fair criticism, to an extent, you also need to make the same allowances for them, that we've made for us along the way. Their stars, apart from f*#$ing Gaz, are still maturing. What they might do once they are concerns me.

Good take on it Kimbo. I just reckon stuff that might piss off other clubs or players and come back to bite should remain in-house. Brad does a bit of this with the media too, but I prefer playing the dead bat in naming other clubs or games.
Whilst that may be the case, I still don't like reading this to be honest. I'd like to think we will be well motivated to reverse that result in July, as that will be quite important for us to show them how far they still are from challenging.
They played mind games with us before their Metricon win; didn't seem to do them any harm.

My take on it is that Brad would agree with the comments and any reaction wouldn't be in relation to these comments in the press; it'd be about planning to beat a team that is set to make a big impression in coming years. In the early days it seemed to me that we 'benchmarked' ourselves against the likes of Melbourne and Richmond, and seemed to be determined to ensure we established a mental and on-field superiority over them. I'd love for us to include GC in that now too, rather than have them do it to us.

Yes, and while that's fair criticism, to an extent, you also need to make the same allowances for them, that we've made for us along the way. Their stars, apart from f*#$ing Gaz, are still maturing. What they might do once they are concerns me.

They will be a very good side. We we're beyond woeful in Round 7 (which just so happens to be on Fox Footy right now) so I would back us to treat the game against GC with far greater respect in the coming season and put them back in their box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back