Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone has linked to this yet: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-24/crows-wont-flock-to-talls

Key comments from Hamish Ogilvie...

- ADELAIDE recruiter Hamish Ogilvie has confirmed the club has eyes on VFL ruckman Sam Tagliabue – but says he’s just one of a stack of state league talls on the radar.
- Ogilvie told AFL.com.au that acquiring tall talent remained a focus, but insisted the club wouldn't be blinded by short-term thinking at Thursday's NAB AFL Draft.
- “(Gold Coast recruiting guru) Scott Clayton said 'if you know you need a tall and you go too hard on needs, you end up missing a Joel Selwood'.
- Ogilvie said it was almost impossibly tough to separate players in the pick No. 8-20 range, which led to the club downgrading its first pick from No.10 to No. 14 in order to upgrade its late picks.
- Ogilvie was adamant serious value could also be found with the club's three remaining selections.
Whos this years selwood then? De Goey?

Having another look at the players invited for the top ten there was already more than ten. Before Durdin and Langford got the late invatations so that makes me think Langford is going to Collingwood and i'm not sure about Durdin.
Lewie taylor got a late invite last year and went at pick 28, just covering all bases and anything could happen still. Reckon pies list has lavderde first and Langford 2nd. Gold Coast likely duggan then Langford.

You're not quite right. ;)
Geez you're a tease CC! Care to elaborate just a little bit more?

IMO IF Lever was still there at 14, it'd be a pretty ballsy move to pass on him. He fits our needs as a rebounding key defender perfectly without compromising selecting best available talent. Skippos what are your thoughts re Lever as a fit for Adelaide at 14? I don't recall having read them.

This is going to be a very interesting draft hope things go our way.

Perhaps the late inclusion of invite of Langford and Durdin means that apart from them now being definitely in the mix, it could be a way to tempt say a GCS or GWS to baulk at their strategy. Goddard and Duggan were supposed lock ins, perhaps that's not so clearly recognised any more. Surely players are getting talked up by clubs and maybe it's getting some clubs doing some last minute investigating and tinkering. Is foxing still relevant?

20-25? No idea. He's an extreme left field selection for our first potentially but unfortunately we don't have a pick in the draft range he is going to be taken. Rated very highly by us.

Who are we talking about here? Caleb Daniel? I'd be stunned if he goes that early in the draft at his height. Would love to take him at 59 but even 43 is too early IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so my uneducated wish list would be something like:

Pick 14: Jake Lever - Rebounding KPD
WHY: Lever fills a list need as a quality rebounding KPD. It's been touted he may be able to shift into the midfield later in his career too. The kid has talent and leadership, and providing his knee is all good, he seems to be a perfect fit for us.
Alternatives: The usuals, Goddard, Wright, Langford

Pick 35: Reece McKenzie - Strong Contested Marking KPF.
WHY: Neither Tex or Jenkins are big contested marks, so McKenzie could compliment our forward line well, as that pack crashing key forward ala Tippet. Only played a single year of footy after coming across from basketball so potentially large upside. Still not completely sold on this selection, as while McKenzie has good acceleration his agility and groundwork is poor. Of course if these were good, he wouldn't be a chance at pick 35.
Alternatives: Meandue, Maynard, Rainbow, McDonald (only if one of Wright or Langford selected at Pick 14).

Pick 43: Keenan Ramsey - KPD/KPF.
WHY: Despite having taken Lever at 14 already, selecting Ramsey as a KPD ensures that we have the luxury to develop Lever into a 3rd tall/rebounding defender, or tall mid, in a similar role to what Smith has played this last season. While I wouldn't use pick 35 for this "luxury" (see comment on McDonald), I would be happy to do it here.
Alternatives: Daniel Howe

Pick 59:
Declan Hamilton - Mid / Utility.
WHY: It's in the blood... nephew of Andrew and Darren Jarman. But seriously, with our first 3 picks used on KPP's a mid needs to be selected here. Hamilton doesn't have the speed we desire, but can still be creative on the outside. Not sure he'll still be available at 59 after his Champs.
Alternatives: Oleg Markov but possibly more a rookie prospect.

OVERALL: The selections of McKenzie and Ramsey address our depth in our KP stocks and form a capable spine for our side for years to come. Hamilton may potentially add some polish to our mids, and Lever is that potentially elite, game changing, marquee player sides crave.

Geez you're a tease CC! Care to elaborate just a little bit more?

IMO IF Lever was still there at 14, it'd be a pretty ballsy move to pass on him. He fits our needs as a rebounding key defender perfectly without compromising selecting best available talent. Skippos what are your thoughts re Lever as a fit for Adelaide at 14? I don't recall having read them.

Would give my left nut for it to happen.

Okay so my uneducated wish list would be something like:

Pick 14: Jake Lever - Rebounding KPD
WHY: Lever fills a list need as a quality rebounding KPD. It's been touted he may be able to shift into the midfield later in his career too. The kid has talent and leadership, and providing his knee is all good, he seems to be a perfect fit for us.
Alternatives: The usuals, Goddard, Wright, Langford

Pick 35: Reece McKenzie - Strong Contested Marking KPF.
WHY: Neither Tex or Jenkins are big contested marks, so McKenzie could compliment our forward line well, as that pack crashing key forward ala Tippet. Only played a single year of footy after coming across from basketball so potentially large upside. Still not completely sold on this selection, as while McKenzie has good acceleration his agility and groundwork is poor. Of course if these were good, he wouldn't be a chance at pick 35.
Alternatives: Meandue, Maynard, Rainbow, McDonald (only if one of Wright or Langford selected at Pick 14).

Pick 43: Keenan Ramsey - KPD/KPF.
WHY: Despite having taken Lever at 14 already, selecting Ramsey as a KPD ensures that we have the luxury to develop Lever into a 3rd tall/rebounding defender, or tall mid, in a similar role to what Smith has played this last season. While I wouldn't use pick 35 for this "luxury" (see comment on McDonald), I would be happy to do it here.
Alternatives: Daniel Howe

Pick 59:
Declan Hamilton - Mid / Utility.
WHY: It's in the blood... nephew of Andrew and Darren Jarman. But seriously, with our first 3 picks used on KPP's a mid needs to be selected here. Hamilton doesn't have the speed we desire, but can still be creative on the outside. Not sure he'll still be available at 59 after his Champs.
Alternatives: Oleg Markov but possibly more a rookie prospect.

OVERALL: The selections of McKenzie and Ramsey address our depth in our KP stocks and form a capable spine for our side for years to come. Hamilton may potentially add some polish to our mids, and Lever is that potentially elite, game changing, marquee player sides crave.
Very well done, some good results there and handy alternatives.....rookie draft would then be all about speed and rucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back