Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Green was REM's big break through album into the mainstream, love Orange Crush and a few other songs on it but as a whole album I prefer New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

All their albums are pretty good but they went downhill a bit after Bill Berry left, it wasn't quite the same without him.

Really? I consider 'Up' to be a great album of theirs. After that, apart from their 2004 album (which was good in parts and bland in others) I haven't heard all their post 'Up' stuff.

I think this will be highly unpopular and believe me I've tried to get into this band.......but I find The Strokes one of the most overrated, smug, boring bands considering their accolades. They remind me of when you see singing reality show ads where they have like a rock theme and these people are dropped in leather jackets with old jeans and sunglasses and try and look rough. And the music is so simplistic it's mind numbing.

However I admit 'Someday' is always in my head.

I think this will be highly unpopular and believe me I've tried to get into this band.......but I find The Strokes one of the most overrated, smug, boring bands considering their accolades. They remind me of when you see singing reality show ads where they have like a rock theme and these people are dropped in leather jackets with old jeans and sunglasses and try and look rough. And the music is so simplistic it's mind numbing.

I admit ALOT of their songs sound the same, but those songs are all very good songs

I was a massive, massive fan of their first two albums at the time they came out. Thought the third was alright, but was kind of indifferent to it. Got excited for the fourth when I heard the first single, but found it to be largely boring. Haven't even gotten around to listening to the fifth yet.

they have some good stuff but started out at the right time after the nu-metal and pop/punk scenes started to decline a little.

I was a massive, massive fan of their first two albums at the time they came out. Thought the third was alright, but was kind of indifferent to it. Got excited for the fourth when I heard the first single, but found it to be largely boring. Haven't even gotten around to listening to the fifth yet.

Their fourth album is their worst by a fair stretch. Unsurprising, considering none of the band played together as a whole and Jules just phoned his parts of the track from different locations around the country.

Comedown Machine, their latest, is actually a pretty decent return to form. Of course their first two albums are both upwards of 9/10 and even their third, First Impressions Of Earth, while a couple of tracks too long, is still very diverse and interesting.

I think they're overrated and Julian is a massive smug, uninteresting douche but they were so good and became so big because the songs were simple. They were a few chords and regular sounding guitars and it was a case of lucky resonation – right time, right New York, right dearth. The first album is still a stellar piece of work and Hard To Explain is one of those songs that'll carry a band forever (along with Someday and Last Nite; which'll still get a dancefloor moving even if its to people who were barely 5 when it came out).

I also think Is This It is the kind of album you might like for its accessibility at age 15 but then when you hit 20 it seems like your life.

The whole album just has this vibe of like, that eternal optimism and looseness you tend to have at that age. It's so ramshackle. How can a band make some of the biggest songs of the last 20 years sound like the thing cooked up at home? It's just a great album about not letting things phase you, coming to terms with the fact all things leave, having nothing pinning you down... there's an unquantifiable way that it sponged up things you know but could never admit or express – it's like kitchen sink drama for people with sinks that don't work and dramas that go in two days.

I really don't think any subsequent album had any heart or much to say, but bands like that have made some of the best albums you'll ever hear. You can't begrudge them or really try to explain it. It just is. I can't enjoy them or celebrate them as hidden gems or the fault of a stellar previous work... but I can admit What Ever Happened, Machu Picchu, Reptilia are good songs and that their last album had some serious groove in it (Welcome to Japan, tune right there, and Jules' whole indifferent thing was never better executed, except for the Last Nite video which is obvs seminal, than the way he sings "...welcome to Japan..." – plus songs the first two songs are cool). So it's worth them existing so kids can see them live and feel adrenaline speaks when they hear their favourite songs, so they can be rich and keep buying Tyler Durdin's wardrobe, and average arseholes like you and me get to hear some good songs.

This thing is also very underrated. Gem of a song. Reminds me of a girl I used to see

This is probably one of my four favourites by them too. It's just so cool! Imagine being in a band that got to play this every night. Or just being in a crowd who got to see this once. It sounds like jubilation, I still don't know the lyrics, but I don't think I want to. Man, just so euphoric

I think that's part of the appeal. Particularly with Is This It, just simple, catchy and fun. I think thats what makes Is This It a masterpiece for me.

The Strokes to me were always a bit of a zeitgeist band (which has been well documented). I don't really rate any of their albums myself, but they have certainly released some decent songs over the years. They just came along and struck it big at the right time, and for the large part have been living off that goodwill ever since.

I think Dire Straits, whilst having enduring popularity, cop it unfairly at times, almost to the extent of something like U2 (mostly coming along at the wrong time and the somewhat inevitable Brothers in Arms/Money For Nothing backlash). Their first 4 albums were pretty decent, particularly Love Over Gold which is an album I enjoy immensely. They aren't the most perfect artist to get behind or anything (some cringeworthy elements, from yet another solo to some cynical/direct lyrics to grating upbeat jingles, etc.), but given their overall solid discography they probably deserve a little more love at times. I can't help but feel that nowadays they tend to be overly judged on the basis of a couple singles off of Brothers in Arms, a so-so album that managed to sell more copies in Australia than MJ's Thriller. Dad rock, sure, it's really uncool to like them, but I think their discography deserves more respect than it receives as a whole nowadays.

Last edited:
Maybe already mentioned, but Radiohead's output since OK Computer - with a couple of exceptions - has been really s**t.

I think Dire Straits, whilst having enduring popularity, cop it unfairly at times, almost to the extent of something like U2 (mostly coming along at the wrong time and the somewhat inevitable Brothers in Arms/Money For Nothing backlash). Their first 4 albums were pretty decent, particularly Love Over Gold which is an album I enjoy immensely. They aren't the most perfect artist to get behind or anything (some cringeworthy elements, from yet another solo to some cynical/direct lyrics to grating upbeat jingles, etc.), but given their overall solid discography they probably deserve a little more love at times. I can't help but feel that nowadays they tend to be overly judged on the basis of a couple singles off of Brothers in Arms, a so-so album that managed to sell more copies in Australia than MJ's Thriller. Dad rock, sure, it's really uncool to like them, but I think their discography deserves more respect than it receives as a whole nowadays.

I couldn't agree more with both of these posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/41317/Chet-Faker-responds-to-hurtful-ARIA-criticism

Do not like Chet Faker at all as a musician or person. Arrogant, smug, and bland – you can be aloof if you're in Sonic Youth or the kind of band where even the drummer dresses like the Fonz, but this dude's music reminds me of the music in Myer. How can a grown man get upset about something like that? What even? The ARIAs are a load of c-grade turd, embarrassing nepotism and sycophancy that'll never inspire anything or be bold in any way. It makes the Mercury Prize look more obtuse than the top 100 lists the Quietus puts out.

Such dull music too. At least James Blake has all his stuff on R&S you can actually enjoy.

I wish I was in a band so I could spend every interview s**t talking Chet Faker and Flume.

I'm grateful that I have not heard of any of these artists mentioned in articles about the ARIAs. Stupid award shows like that and all the goofy social media drama that spawns from it typifies the regressive and effete society we have devolved into.

On a similar note, I was in a shop recently and could hear this god awful music being played. It had some bland droning voice which sounded like a guy who just got out of bed with this polite, innocuous, bland music in the background (which sounded like some trite background music you would hear in a Telstra or iPhone commercial). I asked the guy at the counter who it was and he said 'Angus and Julia Stone'.

Ugh. I remember someone telling me how these two were the 'darlings of Triple J', and admittedly I haven't listened to Triple J since 1992 or something, but yikes...if Nickelback is wood from an oak tree, these dorks would be balsa wood. I hope JJJ or 'the Jays' (as I've overheard various douchebags call it) gets cut in the upcoming ABC funding cull.

Ugh. I remember someone telling me how these two were the 'darlings of Triple J', and admittedly I haven't listened to Triple J since 1992 or something, but yikes...if Nickelback is wood from an oak tree, these dorks would be balsa wood. I hope JJJ or 'the Jays' (as I've overheard various douchebags call it) gets cut in the upcoming ABC funding cull.
That fragile, gormles,' singing voice, where they pronounce 'asked' as 'arrrrrrsk'd,' absolutely shits me. From Sarah Blasko the girls on my Facebook uploading their covers 'for a friend's birthday...' Just shocking. But this is an interesting point regarding the funding cuts. I'm of the thought that the ABC is a redundant money-drainer and should be merged with SBS at the absolute least with pricks like Kerry O'Brien and Leigh Sales turfed from their $200,000 a year salaries, but has Triple J actually gotten through? I don't really pay too much attention but was it ever under threat? It also seems surprising that Double J could launch when everything else is being scaled back – or is that on its last legs too?

Should get rid of Triple J and allocate the money otherwise spent on salaries to put toward all art grants in Australia. Probably an unpopular opinion that, considering Sticky Fingers are better known than Robert Drewe and Sidney Nolan.

I heard someone call the Foo Fighters the 'Fooeys' once - surely you draw the line at that, right?

By than token I've just lowered my standing in the world as for the past 6-8 years I've been calling Eskimo Joe the "Mojos."

That fragile, gormles,' singing voice, where they pronounce 'asked' as 'arrrrrrsk'd,' absolutely shits me. From Sarah Blasko the girls on my Facebook uploading their covers 'for a friend's birthday...' Just shocking. But this is an interesting point regarding the funding cuts. I'm of the thought that the ABC is a redundant money-drainer and should be merged with SBS at the absolute least with pricks like Kerry O'Brien and Leigh Sales turfed from their $200,000 a year salaries, but has Triple J actually gotten through? I don't really pay too much attention but was it ever under threat? It also seems surprising that Double J could launch when everything else is being scaled back – or is that on its last legs too?

Should get rid of Triple J and allocate the money otherwise spent on salaries to put toward all art grants in Australia. Probably an unpopular opinion that, considering Sticky Fingers are better known than Robert Drewe and Sidney Nolan.

Perfect description, couldn't have said it better myself. Would be interested to know seriously how much it costs to fund JJJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back