Analysis Open Training Discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn the kids got big... Hopefully a massive year to go with his massive rig

View attachment 93647
Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Hopefully he's improved his tank too because I've always fancied JKH as a clearance mid (at least pinch hitting on ball). Quick hands, strong core, and has the size now too it looks like.

If a tree fell in the forest and no one was there to hear it, did it really fall? That's the question I pondered to myself when I rocked up to Gosch's. It was kinda raining (not too much for now) but I was surprised I was alone. Cue the trolls who reckon I have no life (I do, actually - it's a big week ahead).
9:30 odd: I am not alone. Dude on a bike rocks up - but only briefly. So in front of a Gosch's Paddock record attendance of, um, one, the boys start their training for the day.
I almost need not say what the boys do first up. Basic stretches, lap around the oval, the works. Spencer, Harmes and Lumumba (?) doing seperate activities, rehab group? The even better question is why is Lumumba there? Dawes is doing his own thing as well in the middle and not participating in the warm ups, just a few marking drills and that's it really.
Boys did a stretch right in front of me, surely as thanks for being the only one there at that point... maybe not.
Dawes buggers off early. Who knows maybe it's rostered or something to manage workload, I dunno. Anyway, it's pissing down at this point. The crowd is also getting very big (I count five now after a sluggish start - not too far away from the attendances at the cricket at the moment)
Some work with the footy now, short 15m (closer to 10 when I think about it) kicks.
Out of the blue (okay maybe not, it was predicted) thunder. Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening, me! Galileo, Galileo... you know the rest. Or at least you SHOULD. Get my drift yeah.
A split in three follows, forwards, mids, defenders. Forwards are doing this kind of drill where they're looking to square it to an option with a short 20m kick at gest, mids are doing stoppage drills and the defenders are doing some one on one contest drills.
One thing I might mention in the forward drill - Hogan's field kicking is exquisite. Just doesn't miss a target.
Traditional ball movement drill now - and with the conditions a lot of players drop some dollies that would be easily taken in the dry. The balls are literally soap. I'm sure this won't be a regular occurance if weather predictions are anything to go by (hot summer ahead, they say)
Some of the skills in this drill were rather ordinary though that owes more to the conditions more than anythingbelse so there's something to work on here.
Kent buggers off after this drill. Spencer goes to the sidelines from rehab.
Evasion drill of sorts now. Basically two sides, one with bibs, one without, groups of four come out and try to keep it off the other team. Ball usage in this one is much improved from the last drill, even though - yes - it is a handball drill in the wet.
One bloke I'm noting that's particularly vocal is Watts.
Lumumba walks out after doing a multitude of laps, can confirm he will take James Frawley's number in 2015. (#8 on his bag)
Variation of the previous drill, adding a kick. There's one particular instance where Watts just bursts through a pack of players, as if time stood still. Want to see it more. Like, a lot more.
Again, some of the skills in this drill aren't as good as they could be. Few kicks that skid along a little bit.
Okay what we have now is like 17 groups of players doung their own thing, it's hard to know where to look lol. Too many seperate groups to go through.
Couple more leave the track (Bernie and Gawn)
Match simulation - IT BEGINS. At this point I'm leaving the iPad in the bag because it is raining heavily. What I do see is Salem hitting up Hogan beautifully when the conditions are at their worst. Very impressed with that.
Running now after the brief simulation. Watts and Jamar bugger off... only to start running on the adjacent oval. Very impressed with what Watts did today, thought it was one of his best sessions.
At Gosch's in the meantime, some brave souls decide to wear their runners. I salute you. Few 200s by the looks of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I made sure I added the Stretch references today.

Admittedly, Monday's session was going to be extremely hard to top. A Gosch's Paddock record attendance of one person who stayed throughout the three hours (although there were five people in all who watched at various times - I'm gonna claim this one), an absolute soaking typical of Melbourne's "glorious" weather and all in all so low key that not even one member of the media was keen on turning up. So on a lukewarm Wednesday morning I was hoping it would be a little better than the nightmarish scenario only matched by Redfoo's appearance in the song "Literally I Can't" (Listen at your own peril if you really want to see what I mean if you haven't).
So it's the last session with a (kind of) skewed list given the draft is on tomorrow night, and then the rookie draft soon after with about five new blokes joining. All I know is that Brayshaw will be one of them. Pick 3 is anyone's guess, you're more likely to win Tattslotto at the moment than get it right.
No need to say what happens first. A few Billy Stretches and a lap round the oval.
Rehab: Terlich, Gawn, Spencer, Harmes, Vince.
Lumumba back with the main group... until he rejoins rehab after the Billy Stretches.
Dawes, Salem, Riley doing some different activities and not some Billy Stretches.
Running straight off the back today! Bit of an interesting one this one.
Viv Michie is struggling badly in his particular group (see there's four groups and they are running laps at a certain pace). Way behind the rest of them.
Short 20m kicks follow. This is rather boring and predictable. Nobody stuffing up as they should - they're bloody short kicks.
This evasive drill covers on the far side of the ground, few players in bibs, most aren't, it's like this handball around the defender drill thing where it's like a four on one at points, so you'd hope the four work around it. Thankfully they do, otherwise I'd be extremely concerned.
What happens now is that half the boys have bibs and it's a different evasive drill. Four on four I think now so it's a lot more even than the last drill.
Hogan leaves early. Ok.
Hunt leaves as well.
Moar running afterwards. Then you have like one group in front of me which has Kingy doing ruck to a group including Tyson, Salem and McKenzie in it. Not sure what the others are doing.
Notable absentee today is Wattsy.
Full grounder now, similar to Monday where it's a couple of short kicks.
Drill that I saw a couple of weeks back where there are two handballs amongst three players and then delivery inside 50. This is the drill thatI mentioned I liked.
Right in front you have Goodwin throwing up balls and being this psuedo-ruckman thing with McKenzie, Tyson and JKH. Extended midfield spell for JKH?
Full ground drill (madball? Something along the lines) Half in bibs, half not, it looks like madball anyway.
Training then kind of abruptly ended, like there's a few players leaving, buggering off, but there's a few doing running as well just like at the start of the sesh you know what I mean? Also a couple having set shots and some random kicking exercises but otherwise yeah it's kinda random.
Indeed the boys finish off afterwards.

A bloke over on DL was at training and had the following to say (amongst other things) which explains a few of the absences and early marks.

Credit to The Devil Inside
Injury report from Dave Misson, as they were missing, Watts a groin issue and Kent a quad issue

Spoke to the following
Spencer, ankle is fine, has had a bit of back soreness so they are holding him back a bit,
Max Gawn should be back in full training in a week or so,
Harmes has had Glandular Fever, knocked him around a bit, lost 3kg,intends to work over the Xmas break to catch up,
Terlich another week or so,
Vince New Year before he can test out the shoulder,
Michie who has looked a bit down, had the dreaded gastro, really "drained" him
JKH will be wearing a support on his knee as a precaution, getting better each session
Tommy Mc has a hamstring tendon issue, nothing serious but they are monitoring it
Jack Fitzpatick is glad to be getting through his first pre season, diabetes now just part of daily routine
Christian Salem absolutely shattered that Man City scored two late goals to win in the Champions League, he is on a bit of a modified program
HL is just easing his way back into it, just a bit of tightness
--------

Nothing too concerning there, given it's November and most things can probably be put down to ramping up of training loads.

A bloke over on DL was at training and had the following to say (amongst other things) which explains a few of the absences and early marks.

Credit to The Devil Inside
Injury report from Dave Misson, as they were missing, Watts a groin issue and Kent a quad issue

Spoke to the following
Spencer, ankle is fine, has had a bit of back soreness so they are holding him back a bit,
Max Gawn should be back in full training in a week or so,
Harmes has had Glandular Fever, knocked him around a bit, lost 3kg,intends to work over the Xmas break to catch up,
Terlich another week or so,
Vince New Year before he can test out the shoulder,
Michie who has looked a bit down, had the dreaded gastro, really "drained" him
JKH will be wearing a support on his knee as a precaution, getting better each session
Tommy Mc has a hamstring tendon issue, nothing serious but they are monitoring it
Jack Fitzpatick is glad to be getting through his first pre season, diabetes now just part of daily routine
Christian Salem absolutely shattered that Man City scored two late goals to win in the Champions League, he is on a bit of a modified program
HL is just easing his way back into it, just a bit of tightness
--------

Nothing too concerning there, given it's November and most things can probably be put down to ramping up of training loads.

Not a soccer fan but lulz.

Can any one tell if Watts has bulked up a bit(?), saw a pic and he looks a lot bigger in the upper body . Could just be the pic ...

Frustrating session as it seemed to go on forever, given most of the boys were off running the tan for the majority of the time.

It took me a while to understand why big shopping centres and corporations were flogging their useless and utterly pointless Christmas specials right at the start of November. Come the start of December, I now understand, through the Melbourne Football Club, why exactly this was the case.

'SALE! SALE! A BRAND SPANKING NEW PETRACCA AT PICK TWO! TRADE FRAWLEY IN FOR A BRAYSHAW AT THREE! YOU WANT A STRETCH? GET HIS BEST MATE FOR FREE, NO STRINGS ATTACHED! HOW ABOUT THE TWO FOR ONE DEAL WITH THE McDONALD BOYS?'

Or at least, you get the jist of it. On the surface, the draft was a bloody good one for the Dees. Petracca and Brayshaw I'm rapt with, Stretch - around about a top 20 pick, for a third rounder at 42, his best mate, ANB at 40 when some had him at around 21 or so, and to top it all off, we got Oscar McDonald at 53 when some had him around 25-26. Yes, it looks good for the MFC looking forward.
First off though, I want to watch them train. That is why I am here as always, after all. I'll still be gutted if Lionel Hutz doesn't turn up and say, for example "Christian, baby! Lionel Hutz your new agent, body guard, unauthorized biographer and drug dealerrrrr keeper-awayer."
So training (finally) starts at 20 to 10 and we've seen everything from sun to rain to thunder to rain to maybe a bit of sun I don't know and notable absentees are the big Hoges, Brayshaw, Petracca, ANB and Oscar Mc. Stretch is here. Sorry gaisssssss. I presume they don't want the draftees to dominate straight off the bat
You have Watts, McKenzie and Riley not doing the Billy's with the rest of the group, while Terlich has seemingly cut off all his hair.
Get a first proper look at Stretch. He's more built than I thought he was (honest expectation after seeing him some years back was that he'd still be one of those stick insects straight out of A Bug's Life but alas I am wrong) however I still expect him to start off at Casey in 2015.
There's a big crowd assembled despite the weather, will say that.
Ok running now, Stretch is up the front in his group - ahead of Tom Mc.
The new boys. THEY'VE ARRIVED.
ANB has #30. That's all I know atmo.
Five minutes running, that's what they did. It's TORTURE!!!!!!!!! I've done it before.
Watts, McKenzie and Riley bugger off early. Boys walk a lap of the oval.
Righto, more running, draftees doing this handball drill thing.
Got told we'll most likely rerookie Tappy and, I doubt you'll believe me - Brock McLean's name was mentioned.
Boys doing ball skills now. Draftees joining in.
Kent and Dawes bugger off early. Like always.
Petracca walks past post handball drill. Does NOT skip leg day. Ever. Legs are big.
Majority head off to do the tan. Tom Mc doesn't, this I assume is to give everyone else a chance.
Boys run straight past, confirmed Petracca does not skip leg day, whereas Brayshaw is built massively around the arms. So big I could have sworn you heard his uncle James say 'JESUS!' ANB and Oscar went past, lightly built, Oscar's a big boy. Just skinny that's all. We also have two blokes from the NSW/ACT academy doing the rounds. One runs with the draftees, another is having a kick around with Stretch. Boo-urns is working with the draftees.
Meanwhile with the rehab group, Gawn's looking very good. Might dominate if he ever gets out of rehab or is he there because of: a) the fact he's tall and needs to be managed, or b) he'd dominate if he trained with the main group. Either way exciting signs, he is the one I see having a breakout season IMO.
THERE'S NOTHING HAPPENING AND IT'S BEEN LIKE THIS FOR TWENTY MINUTES OR SOMETHING IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS
HURRY UP BOYS. RUN FASTER OR SOMETHING AT THE TAN OMG.
Numbers: Oscar Mc has #28 I believe.
The boys do come back, goalkicking practise. Petracca nails his first set shot (kid can play as a forward, I expect him to play there in 2015). Tom Mc nails set shot one, shanks set shot two. Typical.
Moar running. That's all I need to say.
One bloke I'm very surprised with in terms of him struggling is Garland. Always seemingly up the back in running drills which I'm a bit shocked with.
It's good to see Stretch up the front with a group which includes N Jones, Viney, Howe, Toumpas, Bail, Grimes and Tom Mc among others. Stretch has been impressive in the running drills today.
Meanwhile up the other end, Newton is constantly up the front in his group. Surprised at the distinct lack of talk of the possibility of him playing Round 1. He is a serious chance of a berth.
Short 10-15m kicks after this running drill. Big boy Christian looks absolutely rooted but his kick stands out amongst others given it is low and hard (exactly how you want it to be kicked).
Misso has completely taken over this session. Surely he'll be a candidate for Twitter Tuesday in this form.
Cam Pedo is another one who is struggling.
As the boys continue on an ambo comes over as a spectator has apparently sliced his foot on a beer bottle. Dunno if he/she is a page fan but if you are hope you're alright.
Training concludes with the boys trying to kick three goals. Dunn is the last one and the boys are heckling him to no end, it's funny.

Frustrating session as it seemed to go on forever, given most of the boys were off running the tan for the majority of the time.

It took me a while to understand why big shopping centres and corporations were flogging their useless and utterly pointless Christmas specials right at the start of November. Come the start of December, I now understand, through the Melbourne Football Club, why exactly this was the case.

'SALE! SALE! A BRAND SPANKING NEW PETRACCA AT PICK TWO! TRADE FRAWLEY IN FOR A BRAYSHAW AT THREE! YOU WANT A STRETCH? GET HIS BEST MATE FOR FREE, NO STRINGS ATTACHED! HOW ABOUT THE TWO FOR ONE DEAL WITH THE McDONALD BOYS?'

Or at least, you get the jist of it. On the surface, the draft was a bloody good one for the Dees. Petracca and Brayshaw I'm rapt with, Stretch - around about a top 20 pick, for a third rounder at 42, his best mate, ANB at 40 when some had him at around 21 or so, and to top it all off, we got Oscar McDonald at 53 when some had him around 25-26. Yes, it looks good for the MFC looking forward.
First off though, I want to watch them train. That is why I am here as always, after all. I'll still be gutted if Lionel Hutz doesn't turn up and say, for example "Christian, baby! Lionel Hutz your new agent, body guard, unauthorized biographer and drug dealerrrrr keeper-awayer."
So training (finally) starts at 20 to 10 and we've seen everything from sun to rain to thunder to rain to maybe a bit of sun I don't know and notable absentees are the big Hoges, Brayshaw, Petracca, ANB and Oscar Mc. Stretch is here. Sorry gaisssssss. I presume they don't want the draftees to dominate straight off the bat
You have Watts, McKenzie and Riley not doing the Billy's with the rest of the group, while Terlich has seemingly cut off all his hair.
Get a first proper look at Stretch. He's more built than I thought he was (honest expectation after seeing him some years back was that he'd still be one of those stick insects straight out of A Bug's Life but alas I am wrong) however I still expect him to start off at Casey in 2015.
There's a big crowd assembled despite the weather, will say that.
Ok running now, Stretch is up the front in his group - ahead of Tom Mc.
The new boys. THEY'VE ARRIVED.
ANB has #30. That's all I know atmo.
Five minutes running, that's what they did. It's TORTURE!!!!!!!!! I've done it before.
Watts, McKenzie and Riley bugger off early. Boys walk a lap of the oval.
Righto, more running, draftees doing this handball drill thing.
Got told we'll most likely rerookie Tappy and, I doubt you'll believe me - Brock McLean's name was mentioned.
Boys doing ball skills now. Draftees joining in.
Kent and Dawes bugger off early. Like always.
Petracca walks past post handball drill. Does NOT skip leg day. Ever. Legs are big.
Majority head off to do the tan. Tom Mc doesn't, this I assume is to give everyone else a chance.
Boys run straight past, confirmed Petracca does not skip leg day, whereas Brayshaw is built massively around the arms. So big I could have sworn you heard his uncle James say 'JESUS!' ANB and Oscar went past, lightly built, Oscar's a big boy. Just skinny that's all. We also have two blokes from the NSW/ACT academy doing the rounds. One runs with the draftees, another is having a kick around with Stretch. Boo-urns is working with the draftees.
Meanwhile with the rehab group, Gawn's looking very good. Might dominate if he ever gets out of rehab or is he there because of: a) the fact he's tall and needs to be managed, or b) he'd dominate if he trained with the main group. Either way exciting signs, he is the one I see having a breakout season IMO.
THERE'S NOTHING HAPPENING AND IT'S BEEN LIKE THIS FOR TWENTY MINUTES OR SOMETHING IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS
HURRY UP BOYS. RUN FASTER OR SOMETHING AT THE TAN OMG.
Numbers: Oscar Mc has #28 I believe.
The boys do come back, goalkicking practise. Petracca nails his first set shot (kid can play as a forward, I expect him to play there in 2015). Tom Mc nails set shot one, shanks set shot two. Typical.
Moar running. That's all I need to say.
One bloke I'm very surprised with in terms of him struggling is Garland. Always seemingly up the back in running drills which I'm a bit shocked with.
It's good to see Stretch up the front with a group which includes N Jones, Viney, Howe, Toumpas, Bail, Grimes and Tom Mc among others. Stretch has been impressive in the running drills today.
Meanwhile up the other end, Newton is constantly up the front in his group. Surprised at the distinct lack of talk of the possibility of him playing Round 1. He is a serious chance of a berth.
Short 10-15m kicks after this running drill. Big boy Christian looks absolutely rooted but his kick stands out amongst others given it is low and hard (exactly how you want it to be kicked).
Misso has completely taken over this session. Surely he'll be a candidate for Twitter Tuesday in this form.
Cam Pedo is another one who is struggling.
As the boys continue on an ambo comes over as a spectator has apparently sliced his foot on a beer bottle. Dunno if he/she is a page fan but if you are hope you're alright.
Training concludes with the boys trying to kick three goals. Dunn is the last one and the boys are heckling him to no end, it's funny.
Excellent work as always, but Brock Mclean are you ******* kidding!?

Don't like hearing that Garland is struggling. Hoping he gets back to 2013 form!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back