Competitions Who will the club select at pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

even pelchen said picks 5 to 18 there is nothing between them.
tbh couldnt care less pick 14 will be quality just like picks 10 11 12 13
But less choice at 14 than at 10 and that is the problem. The sliders are less likely to reach us at 14 than at 10. My gripe with the downgrade is we will be restricted compared to pick 10. It may work out well for us or it could be a disaster.

All for the sake of pick 35.

I thought we said unequivocally that we traded down from 10 to 14 cause we had a guy , and we would still get him at 14.
'our guy' could be any one of 5 or 6 players. Apparently, after the first few choices they're all much of a muchness. Miss 4 of them, pick up one, and tell the fans 'we got our guy'.

who in the top twenty predicted picks would we dislike most if we select at pick 14

Mate 15 players got invited I don't think just cos Durdin got one it means he's going to go top 10. Gold Coast won't take a KPD, bookmark it.

Original invites yes, but if he's received a late invite then that suggests that clubs inside the top 10 have made the AFL aware that there's a good chance they might select him.

Also what do you base your assumptions that Gold Coast won't go KPD?

But you asked me to put down Lever for you. Why would you do that if your above analysis suggests Wright????

I changed my mind ;)

That's not how I remember it, and would be pretty silly.

As I've said before If there is no difference then no one will pay to trade up.

Given he sudden Wright jizzing, about how we'll jump at 14 if he's there - isn't he picked to go at #10?

Myself, I don't actually care except for the spin and contradiction. We'll get a decent prospect of some sort, but there will be focus on that 10-13 bracket

Geelong will be very disappointed if they paid that price to get Pickett before WCE, and he's gone.

They'll also be very disappointed if the player they get would have still been available at 14.

Could end up being a very disappointing trade for them.

Durdin. Just don't see it with him. I'm not sure what position he plays in the AFL and that is never a good sign.
He's really a KPD at AFL level - a big one who can develop into a Talia type and take the monster forwards. This is more the type Freo need I think given they rely on. McPharlin who is just about cooked

I think as has been stated previously I'm not sure that's exactly the type we need given we have Talia, Hartigan and Siggins developing who are all pretty big units.

We may be better complimented developing a Lever/Marchbank type while that hole is being filled by Cheney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's really a KPD at AFL level - a big one who can develop into a Talia type and take the monster forwards. This is more the type Freo need I think given they rely on. McPharlin who is just about cooked

I think as has been stated previously I'm not sure that's exactly the type we need given we have Talia, Hartigan and Siggins developing who are all pretty big units.

We may be better complimented developing a Lever/Marchbank type while that hole is being filled by Cheney.
I get that he is projected to be that type of player - and if he develops well he could be excellent. BUT, he has not demonstrated an ability to play that key defensive role well at any level. His best football is in the ruck - a position he can't play at AFL and unfortunately I can't get Sellar out of my head when I hear that.

Hmmmmmm..............so his football ability doesn't count? Lever is the best of the lot, good character and would have been top 5 if not for a knee injury.
of course his abilty is is important.. but Durdin looks the goods.. and if hes on par with the interstate players in this group youd take him.

Original invites yes, but if he's received a late invite then that suggests that clubs inside the top 10 have made the AFL aware that there's a good chance they might select him.

Also what do you base your assumptions that Gold Coast won't go KPD?

I changed my mind ;)

OK I have changed your choice to Wright. :)

of course his abilty is is important.. but Durdin looks the goods.. and if hes on par with the interstate players in this group youd take him.
Hey Petro....you originally told me you wanted Durdin and then later you suggested that it would be Lever. From what I can gather you would like to see us trade in Durdin but is that who you believe we will get. Can you clarify for me. Thanks

'our guy' could be any one of 5 or 6 players. Apparently, after the first few choices they're all much of a muchness. Miss 4 of them, pick up one, and tell the fans 'we got our guy'.

Earlier you indicated that you had No F@%$ing Idea so I put that into the list. Have you decided to take a stab or will I leave it as is. :)

And if he goes at 10-13 it vindicates it was a bad move

The fact that someone who was once touted as the no. 1 pick prior to his injury and who only this last week has been seen sliding out of the top 10 from the once 'set in stone' top 5 or 6 players that we were used to seeing does not reflect badly on our trade at all.

The club has absolutely no of knowing what changes clubs are making and what bolters come into contention leading up to draft draft day, let alone the fact that the clubs before us are stupid enough to let someone of Lever's 'supposed' potential slide right through their fingers. Sure, the club came out with a statement saying that they think the guy who they want at 10 would be there at 14. That might be a crock of s**t to keep the old knee jerk fans happy, but but really these guys are professionals and know exactly what they are doing. Who knows, maybe our recruiting team could only ever dream of Lever being available at say pick 7 let alone our original pick 10 and now pick 14. The fact that he may slide all the way to 13 and we miss out on him by 1 pick has no bearing on our trade whatsoever.

The more and more interviews and opinions on this draft I've read, I think it's so glaringly obvious that we are going for best available and even then, it's still a guessing game. If Freo take Lever at 13, us fans might be disappointed given the elite tag put over his head by mock drafts, but then we just pluck one of Weller/Langford/Goddard etc etc who Id be equally happy with. Just cannot get over how much of this is all being linked back to this trade stillo_O

The fact that someone who was once touted as the no. 1 pick prior to his injury and who only this last week has been seen sliding out of the top 10 from the once 'set in stone' top 5 or 6 players that we were used to seeing does not reflect badly on our trade at all.

The club has absolutely no of knowing what changes clubs are making and what bolters come into contention leading up to draft draft day, let alone the fact that the clubs before us are stupid enough to let someone of Lever's 'supposed' potential slide right through their fingers. Sure, the club came out with a statement saying that they think the guy who they want at 10 would be there at 14. That might be a crock of s**t to keep the old knee jerk fans happy, but but really these guys are professionals and know exactly what they are doing. Who knows, maybe our recruiting team could only ever dream of Lever being available at say pick 7 let alone our original pick 10 and now pick 14. The fact that he may slide all the way to 13 and we miss out on him by 1 pick has no bearing on our trade whatsoever.

The more and more interviews and opinions on this draft I've read, I think it's so glaringly obvious that we are going for best available and even then, it's still a guessing game. If Freo take Lever at 13, us fans might be disappointed given the elite tag put over his head by mock drafts, but then we just pluck one of Weller/Langford/Goddard etc etc who Id be equally happy with. Just cannot get over how much of this is all being linked back to this trade stillo_O
That's all fine and dandy but the club made a decision to drop from 10 to 14, if it pans out that we missed a gun, then absolutely it was a bad move. You can't hide behind statements like they weren't to know, they had a choice.

Having said that, we won't know until draft day and by all accounts we will get a quality player, but maybe not as good as we could have. Hopefully it turns out to be a master stroke because we need all the luck we can get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back