First Test Squad Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Hughes not named at all. I agree with the decision, but is it a surprise?

With Maxwell/Doolan being replaced at 3 by Watto and Clarke a possible out still, it's quite possible that 3 potential changes to the top order was just seen as too many.

Yeah, picking a couple of injured/doubtful players basically shows that they ARE waiting until the next round of Shield after all.
I wonder if Mark Waugh's comments and the selecting of Clarke are a bit of a sly way of telling the guys at CA just back the * off a bit and let us do our job as best as we can

Hope Siddle doesn't play as well. Too slow, and not enough form
I may disagree with selection decisions from time to time (with Geelong as well) but I've never wished a player picked in the team fails.

I may disagree with selection decisions from time to time (with Geelong as well) but I've never wished a player picked in the team fails.
I don't think that's what he was saying. He was saying he hopes Siddle doesn't play, the as well bit was in addition to his previous comment.

I wonder if Mark Waugh's comments and the selecting of Clarke are a bit of a sly way of telling the guys at CA just back the **** off a bit and let us do our job as best as we can

That's how I read the squad, there was talk of picking a mega squad but instead they pick the usual and leave the actual selection decisions until after the Shield, only one they have decided is obviously the bowling attack with the choice to rest some of the quicks

So ripping through the whole SA top order and getting Hughes cheaply in each innings is poor form? Siddle is a lock, especially as he likes the ball first change rather than having to be a new ball bowler.

If Harris gets through the Shield match intact he will play. My take on the team (if all fit)

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Lyon will play, Gabba is actually his best hunting ground in Australia averaging 21.7
I would go:

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Smith
4. Watson
5. Clarke
6. marsh
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. Hazelwood
11. Lyon

Smith is our mist in form middle order player so should be at #3.

Harris given more time & comes in from 2nd test.

Lyon lucky - could have been time to blood a leggie. Spinner needed for team balance given 2 pace allrounders makes extra quick pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Clarke will not play the first test. It's on for that batting spot!

Strange they didn't name a spare batsman in the squad... So perhaps they want another round of shield games to make up their mind... Or m Waugh got his way ;)

And as we say that, CA issue a statement saying he has to play in the two-day game or not be selected at all.

If Clarke is fit he plays for Australia regardless of what warmup match he plays.

If he isn't fit (and he isn't) he won't play anyway

If Clarke is fit he plays for Australia regardless of what warmup match he plays.

If he isn't fit (and he isn't) he won't play anyway

Bit of a mess. Rod Marsh is just as stubborn as Clarke, I can't see what Clarke is gaining by this. He must think his career will be over if he's not on the pitch.

What a debacle! Obviously a power struggle going on here. Interesting that Clarke has to play the tour match or he can't play in the test, meanwhile the likes of Siddle and Johnson are not allowed to play Sheild matches.

Not really.

There are absolutely no concerns about Johnson and Siddle's fitness at all.

They have nothing to prove fitness wise

What a debacle! Obviously a power struggle going on here. Interesting that Clarke has to play the tour match or he can't play in the test, meanwhile the likes of Siddle and Johnson are not allowed to play Sheild matches.

Clarke has had 1 innings since the UAE tour, which would be 6 weeks or so. I don't care who you are, you need game day practice. Ideally I wouldn't pick him, and tell Clarke to play a Shield match.

Clarke has had 1 innings since the UAE tour, which would be 6 weeks or so. I don't care who you are, you need game day practice. Ideally I wouldn't pick him, and tell Clarke to play a Shield match.
I can't see the point in not picking him for a test match, but to pick him to play a Shield match which is played over similar dates, getting him to do another first grade match may be a go, but the Shield match v Qld is not.

Not really.

There are absolutely no concerns about Johnson and Siddle's fitness at all.

They have nothing to prove fitness wise

Well I would let the fit blokes (Johnson and Siddle) play Shield and rest Clarke and give him a fitness test just before the first test and if he is OK he plays instead of all this shenanigans that is going on. I am also not comfortable with what they have put his grade team through on the off chance he might play for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back