Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
This made an otherwise horrendous, sweaty Monday pretty bearable.

I was worried that they would half-arse it - reduce the number of games to 2, or reserve the right to move expected high drawing games there. But 11 home games (+ most likely) finals for 30 years is a great result.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Gotta love the difference between the AFL and the Swans websites. The headline on afl.com.au screams 'SWANS DUMP HOMEBUSH', while of course the Swans site is far more positive. Wonder what Mike Fitzpatrick will do with his stake in ANZ Stadium now :D

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Gotta love the difference between the AFL and the Swans websites. The headline on afl.com.au screams 'SWANS DUMP HOMEBUSH', while of course the Swans site is far more positive. Wonder what Mike Fitzpatrick will do with his stake in ANZ Stadium now :D

Gotta love the toughest sporting market comments too: 4 million people & 21 professional sporting teams. Its ridiculous when you think on it.

As for Fitzpatrick, he's a businessman, them's the breaks:p

Jun 21, 2005
AFL Club
Sydney
Gloriously welcoming, although will probably mean I get to less games, but very happy with the news.

Thirty years sounds like fairly long contract? I sincerely hope the SCGT doesn't bend the club over financially (I.E. gate takings). I also hope the SCGT engage the club for future redevelopments rather than letting them find out for themselves on the day of the announcement.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As a venue I never actually minded ANZ Stadium as I always liked using one of the upper levels as it usually meant having a great view of the play unfolding as you could easily see the entire ground. I just never liked going to ANZ Stadium as it was a pain to get to.

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
big-kev.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
It's going to make buying a membership really important if you want to go to games.

But leaving Homebush is the right call.

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
It's going to make buying a membership really important if you want to go to games.

But leaving Homebush is the right call.
That's a good point and it's how it should be, coupled with a robust members buy back scheme it should still ensure there are a good number of general public tickets are available whilst ensuring we maximise our membership revenue.

The deal with ANZ stadium (with the AFLs involvement) was always done to ensure the SCG didn't take a monopoly advantage of the Swans. These 15 years of "pain" in hindsight were worth it and a 30 year deal indicates the Swans have done very well.

If the Swans regularly got 55+ at ANZ the deal may have been different but ultimately the fans voted with their feet and got what they wanted.

Regardless of how the deal eventuated we were in a great position of power with both stadiums. Another feather in the cap of the Swans management (no doubt with some help from the AFL)

cherub

All Australian
Aug 12, 2009
Shenton Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Wh
That's a good point and it's how it should be, coupled with a robust members buy back scheme it should still ensure there are a good number of general public tickets are available whilst ensuring we maximise our membership revenue.

The deal with ANZ stadium (with the AFLs involvement) was always done to ensure the SCG didn't take a monopoly advantage of the Swans. These 15 years of "pain" in hindsight were worth it and a 30 year deal indicates the Swans have done very well.

If the Swans regularly got 55+ at ANZ the deal may have been different but ultimately the fans voted with their feet and got what they wanted.

Regardless of how the deal eventuated we were in a great position of power with both stadiums. Another feather in the cap of the Swans management (no doubt with some help from the AFL)
Why "no doubt with some help from the AFL"? I doubt they helped at all and, as a total "VFL boys club cartel" they would be trying to shore up Fitzpatrick's business interests. Ireland and Pridham are tough, ethical , very smart businessmen. Unlike the dodgy AFL commissioners who have been caught out in misusing their AFL connections for financial gain, as well as the obvious conflicts of interests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back