2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

The AFL will write the rules so that it will be almost impossible to get both Mills and Dunkley if they both continue to develop into top ten players as predicted by Eddie and the Vic media. Is Mills really a potential number one next year?

Just need to hope we don't have to give up our first two picks just for Mills.

The AFL will do something nasty but I think it is far trickier than they thought it would be and that's why it didn't get changed for this year.

The big problem for the AFL is that they want to restrict the Swans but whatever they do to restrict us will also have to apply to Brisbane and their love children GC & GWS.

Mills is definately a top 2-3 pick, but probably not the number 1, although there are 3 really elite talents. Dunkley is probably in the 6-20 range. We probably see him as closer to the 6th but he doesn't have the performances Mills has. Mills scope is freakishly unbelievable, you recon Heeney is good, watch Mills!

Mills is definately a top 2-3 pick, but probably not the number 1, although there are 3 really elite talents. Dunkley is probably in the 6-20 range. We probably see him as closer to the 6th but he doesn't have the performances Mills has. Mills scope is freakishly unbelievable, you recon Heeney is good, watch Mills!
Depends who you ask , Sheehan , Wallace , Twomey etc have said that if his draft was next week he would be number 1.

Year is a long time in footy though so will see what the talk is this time next year.

Depends who you ask , Sheehan , Wallace , Twomey etc have said that if his draft was next week he would be number 1.

Year is a long time in footy though so will see what the talk is this time next year.

Last year Petracca was at best a top 15 pick. A lot can change, and I don't trust Terry Wallace full stop!
The same bloke that thought Franklin wasn't the one to draft.

That's what I said

I know, I blame my worlds worst hangover of 2014, won money on a race in Perth last night and yes my head is feeling like a truck.

Still don't think Milla is number 1 but semantics 1-3 he is elite!

Realistically if we have to pay 3 rounds of picks for the two so be it. Worth it, Mills is a dead set freak. Is the best player in the draft probably and his ceiling is massive

The AFL will know that 'bidding' rules won't stop us from getting Mills AND Dunkley. It seems inevitable that they will let us get only 1 of the 2.

The AFL will know that 'bidding' rules won't stop us from getting Mills AND Dunkley. It seems inevitable that they will let us get only 1 of the 2.

Won't happen. We will get both but we may have to give up a bit, not that big a deal

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Won't happen. We will get both but we may have to give up a bit, not that big a deal
If they make it impossible for us to get both then they are setting a precedent which clubs will have to abide by, most notably GWS and GC. If they change the rule and apply it only to us then it looks like complete incompetence and bias after the latest trade restriction that have been placed on us.

Still not sure. After trade ban, anything is possible

Unlike the trade ban where the AFL can screw 1 team (unfortunately us)...the Academies affect 4 teams. Can't see them screwing their love child teams- GWS/GC. End of the day we have to pay close to market value. We are still paying a first round pick for an unproven kid, regardless of how 'talented' they seem.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Trade ban in place AND having to pay a punitive price *cough* I mean "fair" price?

Another shallow draft for Sydney.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Unlike the trade ban where the AFL can screw 1 team (unfortunately us)...the Academies affect 4 teams. Can't see them screwing their love child teams- GWS/GC. End of the day we have to pay close to market value. We are still paying a first round pick for an unproven kid, regardless of how 'talented' they seem.

Mm, I do know how it all work, huge fan of trade/draft time. Just have a feeling AFL will change the rules so we only get one or we get screwed and have to get two first rounders to get both through trading. Just a hunch

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
If they make it impossible for us to get both then they are setting a precedent which clubs will have to abide by, most notably GWS and GC. If they change the rule and apply it only to us then it looks like complete incompetence and bias after the latest trade restriction that have been placed on us.

We'll call this hope of yours that the AFL will treat us fairly because they have a duty of care and might look stupid if they don't the jurisprudence theory.

It relies on the assumption they give a s**t.

Man...I'm still so angry. Not sure how others are going but my passion for the game is taking a mighty battering.

I used to be a passionate advocate. But I can't remember the last time I talked up the code to someone outside the game.

The Academy is exactly where the AFL should be putting its best foot forward to secure the code's future. That's the entire point of its existence. But talk back radio demagoguery has won the pr battle to take the focus off expansion and point it back to the AFL and its 18 clubs and the selfish interests of a cabal of VFL clubs as the be all and end all of AR in this country.

I'm watching you, Gill.

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Mills, Dunkley and Naismith upgrade - there's our three picks for next year.... forgo all other draft picks to get the first 2. That's about the fairest I could imagine.... and I'd jump at it.

The AFL has quite emphatically demonstrated that they will do whatever it takes to stop us.
They don't want to make it harder for us, they want to stop us. The only way to do that is to change the rules so that we can only get one.
IMO, they will change the rules so that they can only affect what we do. i.e. we can't get BOTH academy AND father son's for unders.

That is NOT to say they are right.
Stopping Dunkley or Mills from getting to us IMO is draft tampering. If the AFL/Eddie succeed in screwing us 2 years in a row I hope the club sharpens its claws.

Swans_01

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not too familiar with the Academy members. Besides Callum Mills, does anyone know whether, at this stage, there are any other players draft-worthy next year?

Josh Dunkley Gippsland Power/Vic Country
9/1/97
187cm/84kg
Defender/midfielder
Has the versatility and maturity to play a number of different spots, including as a medium defender, forward and midfielder. With a developed body, Dunkley is able to out-position opponents, he tackles with some oomph, doesn't get ruffled in the action and is strong overhead. Is eligible as a father-son pick to the Sydney Swans, where his dad Andrew played 217 games.Callum Mills Sydney Swans Academy/NSW-ACT
4/2/97
186cm/73kg
Midfielder
Clubs have already pegged Mills as one of the best players in next year's draft, although they won't get much of a look at him. Mills is part of the Sydney Swans academy, and seems destined to be another draft steal for the club after it secured Isaac Heeney this year. Mills is a competitive and prolific ball-winner who is a solid overhead mark, enjoys kicking goals, and has damaging disposal. Has the knack of finding the footy.
Twomey 2015 top draft prospects

Last edited by a moderator:

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Josh Dunkley Gippsland Power/Vic Country
9/1/97
187cm/84kg
Defender/midfielder
Has the versatility and maturity to play a number of different spots, including as a medium defender, forward and midfielder. With a developed body, Dunkley is able to out-position opponents, he tackles with some oomph, doesn't get ruffled in the action and is strong overhead. Is eligible as a father-son pick to the Sydney Swans, where his dad Andrew played 217 games.Callum Mills Sydney Swans Academy/NSW-ACT
4/2/97
186cm/73kg
Midfielder
Clubs have already pegged Mills as one of the best players in next year's draft, although they won't get much of a look at him. Mills is part of the Sydney Swans academy, and seems destined to be another draft steal for the club after it secured Isaac Heeney this year. Mills is a competitive and prolific ball-winner who is a solid overhead mark, enjoys kicking goals, and has damaging disposal. Has the knack of finding the footy.
Twomey 2015 top draft prospects

Queue the Victorian cartel tears if we get both.

I actually think it's a big year for Dunkley. Got a lot going for him but he's had a size advantage for years now (but has played senior footy), interesting to see if he can keep the progression going as other draft age kids catch up to his size. Not 100% he's top 10 but he's certainly first round

Last edited by a moderator:

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Quite clearly Mosman Swans JFC is becoming the flavour of the month, Dan Robinson upgraded to main list and Callum Mills next year will probably be a high draft choice.

Exciting times for local Sydney footy.

Quite clearly Mosman Swans JFC is becoming the flavour of the month, Dan Robinson upgraded to main list and Callum Mills next year will probably be a high draft choice.

Exciting times for local Sydney footy.

It is so important for talented NSW kids to see they can play local Sydney footy and still have a career progression chance to the AFL. That goves the sport a chance more than new franchises in the West or made up "Bridge" rivalries.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
So is it only Mills next year from the Academy or does anyone know if any other kids are in the frame at this stage, albeit later selections?

Had a quick look and doesn't seem to be. Will most likely find out from Eddie 3 months out from the draft.

Back