Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like your work. I'm just working on the lefty brigade a fair bit as it was mentioned by Philthy in his appointment.
Making our patterns of moving the ball less predictable appeals to me and I think it is a key in any top eight side that you are better if you are keeping your opposition guessing. Of coarse you don't just pick left for the sake of it. You are going to go the best that suits at your pick.
Good option for 43....35 we should get someone sliding from 20s....Cavka, cunico or hopefully either McKenzie or McDonald

Nov 11, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Sam Durdin played most of last season with a hand injury. When he overcame that towards the end of the year, his form was excellent, including being B.O.G in the Grand Final.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Roo and Dits had Shifter Sheehan on this morning. Roo said we need a back up ruck and KPD. Sheehan said the best ruck was Wright but he'd be gone by 14. Roo then asked would he had been gone by 10, it's not only some of us on Big Footy that will be scrutinising that trade.

Nov 11, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
At this stage he's a mile ahead of Charlie Cameron. Depends on Cameron's improvement, though, of course.

Beech was awarded BOG against Adelaide, by the Adelaide coaches, this season.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Roo and Dits had Shifter Sheehan on this morning. Roo said we need a back up ruck and KPD. Sheehan said the best ruck was Wright but he'd be gone by 14. Roo then asked would he had been gone by 10, it's not only some of us on Big Footy that will be scrutinising that trade.

Well, obviously there will be some.

But it is interesting how much media has turned towards calling that decision smart in the last week or so (Quayle, etc).

I wonder if we'll start seeing some backlash to Geelong, making the trade for a player that they still don't get (Pickett) or for a player they could have still got at 14 (the talls). Losing a pick 35 in a draft that folks say is 40 deep ...

You don't take a back up ruck at ten, by the way, Roo.

Freddy Bassett

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 2, 2005
At Work
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PANTHERS,CHELSEA

Time will tell I guess... Hopefully it is a win-win trade..
If we end up with Wright, Lever or Durdin at pick 14 who knows which player will turn out to be the better at this stage

All the pressure in my humble opinion is on pick 35

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Well, obviously there will be some.

But it is interesting how much media has turned towards calling that decision smart in the last week or so (Quayle, etc).

I wonder if we'll start seeing some backlash to Geelong, making the trade for a player that they still don't get (Pickett) or for a player they could have still got at 14 (the talls). Losing a pick 35 in a draft that folks say is 40 deep ...

You don't take a back up ruck at ten, by the way, Roo.
Well TBH Wright isn't just a back up ruck.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So we need a back up ruck that will be ready in what, 3 or 4 years? Or does he mean right now

Saw a phantom on the AFL live app that had Goddard, lever, Wright, Weller and cockatoo all gone by 14. Left us with durdin.

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting phantom draft, a bit different to most others.

Has us taking Ahern.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2014/11/24/2014-afl-national-draft-club-will-pick/

14. ADELAIDE
Paul Ahern

181cms, 77kgs midfielder from Calder Cannons, Vic

There are a number of midfield options available at this pick. The best available to this point may very well be Ahern, a determined midfielder who was an All-Australian in 2014 due to his fantastic form for Vic Metro and is a player that fans will love. A penetrating long kick of the ball and will often will break the lines to either distribute the final pass or kick the goal himself – which he does often. Has a great burst of speed which would complement an industrial Crows midfield with the likes of Scott Thompson, Rory Sloane and Brad Crouch in it. If the Crows instead decide to shore up their key defender options, they could look to local SA boy Sam Durdin if he is available, or a player like Caleb Marchbank.

Draft range: 10-20
Others in the mix: Sam Durdin, Corey Ellis & Nakia Cockatoo

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So we need a back up ruck that will be ready in what, 3 or 4 years? Or does he mean right now

Saw a phantom on the AFL live app that had Goddard, lever, Wright, Weller and cockatoo all gone by 14. Left us with durdin.
Can't find it. Was Langford still available ?

rezagun

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
That would be my preference ......of course would prefer Wright or Lever even more

Is Nakia Cockatoo out of the equation ?
If Cockatoo is there at 14 and wright, lever, durdin.and goddard are gone, wel turn to an
outside runner and hes a big chance. Cockatoo is
coming off an injury year like Lever so has played little football in the last 12 months. If he hadnt dominated that game on gf day he would be a
shot for our pick 35. This kid could end up being an out and out superstar. He also could end up being another injury riddled early retired player, its a gamble i dont know if the crows will take. Hamish Olgivie follows him on twitter though
even before he played that game on the G, if you read anything into it Weller is also going to be
around the mark too. Richmond will either go him or Ellis.

rezagun

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well TBH Wright isn't just a back up ruck.
People in the know rate Wright in the top 5 players in this years draft, some even had him the best. Draft experts have also predicted he will be the most dominant forward in the game by 3 years. Big call but when you look at it it takes time for big key forwards to mature and fill out. If we get him hel be a key peice of our next premiership, i believe wel be pushing hard for top4 this year with a big chance of going all the way within the next 3 years.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kevin Sheahan on MMM this morning said no way Wright will even make 10, let alone 14. He's usually pretty clued up.

If Langford makes it past Collingwood at 4 then I think he will slip all the way to 14. The only way we don't take him is of there is an unexpected gem like Lever who we might be attracted to.

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally I would like Garlett, but that's just me.

With that said I think this sells Langford a bit short.

I reckon Garlett offers exactly what we dont have as well.

Langford, is a Tom Lynch across half forward. We already have that, and a very good one too. If and its a big if he moves to the midfield, he might be something different. But still hardly offers something of a massive need.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Personally I would like Garlett, but that's just me.

With that said I think this sells Langford a bit short.
I personally would've liked Duggan :)
Now I'm hoping Weller or Nakia are around the mark.
CC's knowledge of Langford maybe being in the mix cannot be discounted.
Just bring on 6.30 pm Thursday!

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Keep that half empty glass at the ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back