David Hale

Roy boys

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2008
victoria
Yesterday i said what about a look at Aaron Davey and most people believed a ruckman or KPB was more appropriate so how about this bloke who has been played out of position for a large part of the last 3 seasons. He was a top 10 pick as a ruckman and with hawthorns forward line they wouldn't even need to consider him going forward. At the right price i would of thought he might be a pretty good pick up. Its just an observation i'm not saying it'll happen but stranger things have.

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I believe he signed a 4 year contract on mega money last year. This was to either keep GC away or ensure they get what they thought he was worth back then.

As it turns out he has stitched up North, and if GC were coming into the comp now I doubt they would bite at his price.

North would have to pay part of his salary if he were to join us.

jd1991

All Australian
Nov 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Heat
hale isnt a dud as a ruckmen. He would be an upgarde on Taylor and Renouf (Who I think is developing and will be a good ruckmen in another 2 years, but thats a full 2 more seasons away - need to look at something in between).
He has 3 years left on his contract - at 400k plus as the rumours went. To my mind that seems abit high.
To trade for him, and if North wanted to get rid of him, North would need to accept a draft pick less than his worth if the club receiving him was to take on his full contract. I think the only way for another club in this case Hawks would not be willing to offer his full worth as North ended up over paying for Hale.
If North wanted to get his full trade worth they would need to take a % of salary on board for the length of the contract. Probably in the vicinity of 100k to 150k worth.
The issue for the Hawks as his contract has 3 more years on it, and in 2011/12 I believe the hawks will be close to the 100% of the salary cap, his bloated contract does become an issue.

barbster

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2004
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I think we should look at him, he's head and shoulders above Taylor and Renouf, and with Bailey gone we really need a ruck. I think a ruck should be our number 1 priorty at the moment.
Ideally we'd should try to get Cox, I think Sandilands might be a bit overpriced
I'd also be looking at Seaby, he'd be damn cheap, and always seemed to do well when he was the main ruck

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whoa....The Kipster, Steven Tyler & BOSK getting their pants pulled majorly here!....Summer season is warming up;)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
At the time I was hoping and praying he would choose Melbourne

More than happy (obviously) to have egg on my face, and not afraid to show the evidence!

image.jpg

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Norwood Redlegs
Hale has been great for us, an amazing pick up. Was a HUGE part of our 2013 flag. Not as much last year but still more than handy in the finals. Will have Cegs breathing down his neck this year so it may elevate him again. Good ole Norf hey

Since he arrived, we've played in 4 consecutive Preliminary Finals.
And he's had a big part in all the 4 finals campaigns.

And he's played better without the rug!

Is there a better more consistent forward/second ruck in the competition right now then Hale? He seems to lift his game to another level in the finals as he showed in 2013 when he was arguably the most effective ruckman in that finals series. In the last four years he's played 90 games and kicked 85 goals.

sociable hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He only needs 10 more games to pass the magical 100 games for us. Think i read the other day that he just had a son.
His versatility as a forward / ruckman has been a blessing. We have all made mistakes saying players are crap and then been made to look like a fool.
My mate over here once told Glenn Archer that he would amount to nothing after being towelled up by Modra. We still rib him about that 1.

Back