Who is the better #1 Draft Pick? Luke Hodge or Nick Riewoldt???

Who has been the better player over their career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Riewoldt by a country mile.

He's one of the best players ever, no doubt. Hodge has been a part of a more successful team and is probably a better leader, but Riewoldt is in a class of his own.

Both champions of the game, and it seems almost everyone of their respective clubs supporters would choose their own.

Sam Mitchell from what I've seen on here seems to be rated as a better player/ more important to Hawthorn by their own supporters over the years despite inferior leadership and lack of Norm Smith medals, wondering why that is?

Think there's some big misconceptions here in the gap between Hodge and Riewoldt's finals record. Here are both players home and away averages vs finals averages (in bold). Both have played 250+ games and have played in 17 finals each.

Luke Hodge
Disposals- 22.1 vs 21.1
Marks- 4.6 vs 6.3
Goals- .7 vs .6
Tackles- 3.5 vs 3.9

Nick Riewoldt
Disposals- 16.4 vs 16.2
Marks- 8.7 vs 8.4
Goals- 2.2 vs 2.4
Tackles- 1.5 vs 1.9

As has been mentioned it is comparing an apple to an orange in many ways so I don't know if there's a definitive answer.

I don't think you can dismiss the fact that really all over the ground Hawthorn don't have a weak link which has made them so dominant as a team, and has certainly afforded Hodge some luxuries when you consider the players around him that are tagged. Riewoldt has been double teamed as long as that tactic has been in play week in week out. But that's obviously not totally fair as no player who's not a forward gets double teamed. Make no mistake, Hodge is the best in the business at what he does in a role every team tries to execute these days. His footy smarts are probably second to none in my view.

Hodge's virsatility has been pointed too several times, but don't forget Riewoldt played a dominant season and CHB when he won the rising star convincingly in 02'. As for leadership, has anyone shown more character through their football over the past 2 years than Nick? 2 dominant seasons in the toughest position on the ground near the bottom of the ladder is an exceptional feat, and propels him into discussions of possibly the greatest St Kilda player of all time.

I've got a massive bet going on with one of my mates about which of Luke Hodge or Nick Riewoldt is/was the better player.

And how does the outcome of this massive bet get determined? Is it this Big Footy poll?

Guys let's put this to bed & just acknowledge 2 great loyal players who are both going to be Hall of Famers as the true Champs that they are!
Both clubs have been blessed to have them in their ranks. Will both be immortals of their clubs.

Hodge any day for mine... Riewoldt has always been a reciever from top mids which bolster his possessions and score, while Mr Hodge is see ball get himself and usually manages to organise a potent attack off millisecond decisions... I would seriously rather LH

Hodge any day for mine... Riewoldt has always been a reciever from top mids which bolster his possessions and score, while Mr Hodge is see ball get himself and usually manages to organise a potent attack off millisecond decisions... I would seriously rather LH

I think the past couple of years has proved this not to be the case....even with a bung knee.

Guys let's put this to bed & just acknowledge 2 great loyal players who are both going to be Hall of Famers as the true Champs that they are!
Both clubs have been blessed to have them in their ranks. Will both be immortals of their clubs.
Exactly. Putting one down to bring the other one up is ridiculous.

Both champions. Leave it at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, saints fans scrapping and scrambling for the smallest crumb of success they can get. You seem to be winning the Big Footy 'Who is the better No. 1 draft pick out of Hodge and Riewoldt' vote. Congratulations!

Wow, saints fans scrapping and scrambling for the smallest crumb of success they can get. You seem to be winning the Big Footy 'Who is the better No. 1 draft pick out of Hodge and Riewoldt' vote. Congratulations!

Well we didn't start this silly thread. Not our fault that all sensible people have voted for Roo.

Luke Hodge should only be compared to Andrew McLeod and Gary Ayres as both have 2 or 3 times the amount of premierships (and Norm Smith Medals) as any Saints player in your clubs pathetic history.

Wow - no need to get all antsy about it. If that was the comparison, I would go McLeod, Hodge and then Ayres.

Why is everyone getting so riled up? They're both great players who have served their teams exceptionally well, we're just spliting hairs.
People need to live vicariously through their football clubs and feel insecure when someone has a different opinion

People need to live vicariously through their football clubs and feel insecure when someone has a different opinion

It's a bit silly, isn't it?

As for the poll - whilst I'd pick Hodge, if you were going to start a team you would pick Reiwoldt because he is a player a side can be built around. A brilliant CHF that has delivered season after season, and I think people forget just how dominant he was earlier in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back