The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

They're not really competing with for viewers with the commercial stations either, they're often offering something the commercial stations don't offer. Without the ABC or SBS the viewers would not necessarily switch over to commercial TV rather than just switch off altogether.

agree

the net is probably the biggest competition for SBS and the ABC

This could end up being like workchoices. A Idealistic folly that will result in failure on an electoral level. Ivory towers and stuff. The guys at my warehouse are pissed about this and they never ever talk politics.

Don't sweat it. Lester is an ideologue.

No, to say that to someone, whether in the public or private sector, who is about to find out if they or their work mates are to lose their job, just before Christmas, it is a shyte act of pure ignorance & hateful arrogance.

Its not a game you flog arse. It peoples lives idiot.

Of course it's unpleasant to be in such a situation. But every media outlet has had to cut jobs recently. Why do you think the ABC should be immune from cuts?

In the real world large organisations have to make efficiency cuts all the time and from this report it sounds like the ABC is overdue.

But having previously worked as a journalist, foreign correspondent, editor and managing editor at lean, efficient and editorially robust media companies including Australian Associated Press, Fairfax and News Corp for over 20 years, I was shocked by the culture, waste, duplication and lax workplace practices exercised in some pockets of Radio National. I was even more shocked by the failure of the executive to want to do anything about it.

One problem, as one insider pointed out, was the so-called lifers, a pocket of predominantly middle-aged, Anglo-Saxon staff who had never worked anywhere other than the ABC, who were impervious to change, unaccountable, untouchable and who harboured a deep sense of entitlement.​

The problem here is NOT that the ABC is 'sacred' or immune from efficiency reviews, its that the PM blatantly lied through his front teeth. A PM who ranted at length about behaviors of others when he was in opposition. He has lost trust in a big big way.
Gillard lost trust, Abbott was all over it like a rash. I cant believe just how stupidly arrogant he has been since the election, doing just what he accused her of doing!!! Is he really that dumb?
If Abbott had guts & morals he should NOT have made such a two faced liar of himself. If he'd said nothing, it would have been better.
Even Bolt & Jones can see what an idiot Abbott is. He is destroying the LNP.
As was said on Q&A last night, some rational debate on our finances is needed. But also, Australians can see the basic 'unfairness' of the Abbott/Hockey budget. Trying to ignore that obvious fact is just treating the people with contempt.

Thats the basic problem.

Another point about efficiency reviews, when do our politicians get one?. Our political system is sloppy, lazy & grossly inefficient. It was designed 120 years ago when we had mainly sailing ships & telegraph was new. Gument hasnt altered since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sensible address by the MD

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-24/mark-scott-announces-abc-job-cuts/5913082

I think a comment below of "lose 5% of the budget, lose 10% of the staff" says a lot and within the letter shutting down regional centres and lose nothing syays a lot.

but I do agree the government should not have said their wouldn't be cuts or a review of operations. That was silly given media and technology is one of the fastest changing industries and efficiencies were always going to happen.

In hindsight, the ABC new this thus there efforts in recent years with the political agenda and efforts to undermine democracy.

In hindsight, the ABC new this thus there efforts in recent years with the political agenda and efforts to undermine democracy.
Oh good God.

Time to replace the whole board of the ABC. In response to a 5% budget reduction they shed 10% of staff (seriously its only 5% cut?) and then bank hard left - 1) shutting down regional services and ramping up its inner city centralisation agenda into Melbourne and Sydney, and 2) expanding their digital services (therefore further playing to their trendy, twitter/left mob). Useless bastards are so out of touch.

Last edited:
If anyone watched Q&A last night they would have seen some good discussion & a very good ending with a choir singing to the eulogy by Noel Pearson at Gough Whitlams funeral. I though Pearson was very good. Some of his points were 'deep' but valid, especially thoughts on the enlightenment & humanistic view of terrorism. The American actor James Cromwell was the real 'lefty' in the group & voiced some dislike for the US system of so called democracy. Amanda Vanstone was good except when she wouldnt admit to being critical of Abbotts poor communication despite it being the obvious answer!!, Waleed Aly spoke well about the Australian people seeing the inherent unfairness in the Budget &with the others agreed the need to some political honesty in discussing policy directions, Holli Ransom was a very impressive young lady.
It was good tv. You wouldnt get that on Fox, except for Richo & Jones maybe!

Gold, a choir singing along to a eulogy of Gough on Q&A.

Was it a parody?

Pearson's eulogy was about public life & public progress. It was probably a bit kitsch I suppose! Noel certainly had an amused smirk on his face. He obviously liked Gough the man, even though his politics is a bit different. I thought it was quite funny & very well done. It was different I'll give them that:p.
I thought the program was quite good. Some good discussion.

why are politican wages immune??

Why indeed. More importantly these cuts pale into insignificance against Rudd handing out $b's to dead people and tourists, and Gillard handing out further $b's in ramped up welfare paid for by a mining tax that made no money.

Last edited:
Why indeed. More importantly these cuts pale into insignificance against Rudd handing out $b's to dead people and tourists, and Gillard handing out further $b's in ramped up welfare paid for by a mining tax that made no money.

Or Abbott handing $billions to the RBA & the rich getting a squillion to go & have kids, all in a budget emergency! I tell you, their just aint no accounting for dumb PMs is their??

Noel certainly had an amused smirk on his face. .

I doubt Noel will get another gig on Q&A after his performance last night praising Murdoch and skewering the ABC and Fairfax in relation to indigenous issues. He stole the show. Clever guy who would be a worthy Australian of the year.

Last edited:
Or Abbott handing $billions to the RBA & the rich getting a squillion to go & have kids, all in a budget emergency! I tell you, their just aint no accounting for dumb PMs is their??
Or Howard and Costello redirecting generational mining boom profit into $2 a week tax cuts.

We can all derail discussions with irrelevant s**t that happened in the past, but it doesn't justify the decisions being made in the present.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back