List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely wonder how good Mccartin can be vs real AFL level key defenders who will stand an inch or more above him.
It's not really about height, it's about reach and core/lower body strength IMO

Hey guys, if we take Paddy how can you be pissed? If we rank him as pick 1 we take him, if we rank him as pick 2 we take CP. Pretty simple really. Where it gets complicated is when you have decided CP is the best player in the draft without studying all other players for 100's of hours.
Personally, I think out picks 21 and 22 are just as important, PMcC and CP will be stars whoever they play for, we need to get two studs not two duds at our next picks.

I genuinely wonder how good Mccartin can be vs real AFL level key defenders who will stand an inch or more above him.
That's like saying Craig Nettlebeck was better than Plugger because he was three cm taller.
When we are talking about a 194cm 100kg player, we are talking about a bohemeth. Good luck to a stick insect 196cm FB stopping the monster full forward one on one.

That's like saying Craig Nettlebeck was better than Plugger because he was three cm taller.
When we are talking about a 194cm 100kg player, we are talking about a bohemeth. Good luck to a stick insect 196cm FB stopping the monster full forward one on one.
Its not saying that at all. Its questioning whether he can continue to perform as an undersized full forward in the modern game. Comparing it to plugger who was a) a complete freak of a player and b) a completely different time of football is laughable.

I dont know the answer, hence asking.

McCartin is listed at about 193-194cms.

That's the same height as the likes of Nick Riewoldt, Taylor Walker and Josh Kennedy (WCE)

They all play in very different ways but all have success against the best defenders in the comp week after week.

After sleeping on it I am now genuinely happy if the saints take petracca or mccartin. As someone mentioned above we will quite possibly have 2 top picks next year and access to two great mids. We will no longer be on that chase for a new forward so not having to make any risky moves and give up extra to bring a forward in. Also the fact their are no stand out forwards in the next two drafts after this one.

Indeed and likewise Petracca tested very well in some areas, but just as Petracca didn't test as well in others, I have no doubt that Paddy wouldn't have tested well in some areas, had he done all the testing and he also had just about the worst body-fat levels of the 100+ that were there, which would surely be a concern, given the fact that he is meant to be really careful about his diet (due to his diabetes) and has played at a high level for a few years now. If after all that his body fat levels are still really high, it might suggest that he is a chance to struggle to ever get them down, something that I've seen Knightmare for instance say that he's heard some clubs were concerned about.
McCartin is on insulin. Administration of subcutaneous insulin causes increased adiposity.

Wouldn't hold a higher body fat percentage against him personally.

His control of his diabetes is a credit to him.

Jono Brown, Taylor Walker & Roo all do alright against blokes slightly taller.

Paddy is a brute. If he's in RWB supporters will absolutely love him. Track down the footage of him bowling over Dom Sheed & breaking Sheed's collarbone.

I love Petracca but will be equally excited with Paddy in the big RWB #4.

McCartin is listed at about 193-194cms.

That's the same height as the likes of Nick Riewoldt, Taylor Walker and Josh Kennedy (WCE)

They all play in very different ways but all have success against the best defenders in the comp week after week.
*sigh*... not again...

There's no way in hell Roo is 'only' 193cm; my brother is 193cm and Roo had a good inch on him.

Taylor Walker is listed at 192cm by Adelaide which I find a little hard to believe, and he's been listed at 194cm in the past.

Finally, Kennedy is past the 'magic' mark at 196cm according to WCE.

The issue here is that Nick is 32 and Twinkle-Toes is 27, so they're not necessarily indicative of future trends.

Tex is only 24, but strikes me as the exception to the growing rule of very tall KPFs, and he has the 198cm Jenkins alongside him. You just have to look at the new generation of key forwards to see where things seem to be heading; Cameron (195) is 'short' but super mobile, but then there's the likes of Lynch (199), Patton (198), Boyd (200) and Dixon (200) coming through.

I'm by no means anti-Paddy but ideally he'd have another inch and half's growth in him, or be able to build a huge motor; he's a pack-crushing behemoth at 193.6cm and 95.9kg, but imagine him at 197cm and a cut-down 100kg... That little bit of extra reach with his hands would be immense!

*sigh*... not again...

There's no way in hell Roo is 'only' 193cm; my brother is 193cm and Roo had a good inch on him.

Taylor Walker is listed at 192cm by Adelaide which I find a little hard to believe, and he's been listed at 194cm in the past.

The issue here is that Nick is 32 and Twinkle-Toes is 27, so they're not necessarily indicative of future trends.

Tex is only 24, but strikes me as the exception to the growing rule of very tall KPFs, and he has the 198cm Jenkins alongside him. You just have to look at the new generation of key forwards to see where things seem to be heading; Cameron (195) is 'short' but super mobile, but then there's the likes of Lynch (199), Patton (198), Boyd (200) and Dixon (200) coming through.

I'm by no means anti-Paddy but ideally he'd have another inch and half's growth in him, or be able to build a huge motor; he's a pack-crushing behemoth at 193.6cm and 95.9kg, but imagine him at 197cm and a cut-down 100kg... That little bit of extra reach with his hands would be immense!
being lets say 193 compared to a 200cm is what could make him even more dangerous, in what i have seen he isnt that bad for a big man when the ball hits the ground, could be a real weapon to his game if he could master that skill like a cameron has already shown this early in his career

*sigh*... not again...

Obviously if we get paddy we want to get him up to 110kgs and get him to grow a mullet, The P Train?

being lets say 193 compared to a 200cm is what could make him even more dangerous, in what i have seen he isnt that bad for a big man when the ball hits the ground, could be a real weapon to his game if he could master that skill like a cameron has already shown this early in his career
He is very good below his knees and that's a weapon in and of itself, but he's not particularly slippery or agile, nor a gut runner like Roo or Cameron.

I like Paddy a lot; he'll be a cult hero from day dot, but I just can't shake this uneasy feeling. At the elite end, these things do matter, even if it's only a tiny bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously if we get paddy we want to get him up to 110kgs and get him to grow a mullet, The P Train?
Can you imagine? Outstanding. :D

He is very good below his knees and that's a weapon in and of itself, but he's not particularly slippery or agile, nor a gut runner like Roo or Cameron.

I like Paddy a lot; he'll be a cult hero from day dot, but I just can't shake this uneasy feeling. At the elite end, these things do matter, even if it's only a tiny bit.
Do you feel it's a case of Petracca and McKenzie or McCartin and Neal Bullen?

Do you feel it's a case of Petracca and McKenzie or McCartin and Neal Bullen?
To a point, yes, although I get that ANB doesn't excite everyone.

In either case I'd be hoping for an exciting slider with the other 20s pick...

the bolded part excites the hell out of me

km's strengths on carts

bility below the knees – McCartin has rare ability below the knees. He takes his trademark mark on the lead over his toes. But he also has rare ability as a key forward to pick up the ground balls and bouncing balls clearly with consistency and without fumbling making him a real threat not only as a dominant marking threat but equally so with his ground level game. After picking up the ground ball McCartin can get it onto his boot quickly or sometimes turn you around and go into an open goal or at other times create enough time and space for himself to execute a shot at goal or a pass off to someone else by hand or foot as applicable.

Stage fright. :p
Sorry, wife leaving for work, kids getting up never walk away from the computer:oops:. I have followed this forum for the last two years and love all your passion for the saints and interest in drafting/ recruiting. I have supported the saints for 50 years and in that time I have seen so many greats come and go but the club lives on. My dad was an adopted saints tragic (American) and loved to drive down to Moorabbin and watch training and I went along for many years. I have seen them all come and go from the days of cowboy to plugger and beyond. I don't always agree with our drafting and had a barney on AW with Bevo just before the Riewoldt/Kosi draft. I had great mail ( rep coach, recruiting manager, assistant coach and a saints board member) that we were only taking one of the two and I was pissed that we constantly got creative with high picks and frequently got it wrong. That is not the case here McCartin and Petracca are both worthy number one picks, the saints can't miss. For what it's worth when I challenged Bevo to pick one recent recruit to hang his hat on he named Caydn Beetham.

Take position out of it

As everyone knows you should!

Who is the better performed TAC Cup and Champs footballer? The most important indicator to me.... I just want the best player!

Who the hell drafts for type with a #1 selection? At the bottom of a rebuild

All you do is bring the best talent through the door as you can, as they have the best chance of making the grade as a top player....

Those arguing for McCarten know what the golden rule is, but ignore it to justify in case the club goes the way we don't think (why do we all think CP should be selected?) why do you have to justify the decision anyways

They are rarely suggesting Paddy is a better player because Head to head most agree CP is better performed with more scope.... They go the needs argument
Even though they agree it is a poor argument?

We see a lot of people annoyed if we took Paddy

Would the Paddy supporters be upset if we took CP

I suggest not, why is this so??

Okay, time for a petition:

"I'm a Saints fan. I have access to YouTube & I know a lot more about young players than Trout & Bains. If they recruit PM instead of CP they're idiots."

(Insert name here)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Take position out of it

As everyone knows you should!

Who is the better performed TAC Cup and Champs footballer? The most important indicator to me.... I just want the best player!

Who the hell drafts for type with a #1 selection? At the bottom of a rebuild

All you do is bring the best talent through the door as you can, as they have the best chance of making the grade as a top player....

Those arguing for McCarten know what the golden rule is, but ignore it to justify in case the club goes the way we don't think (why do we all think CP should be selected?) why do you have to justify the decision anyways

They are rarely suggesting Paddy is a better player because Head to head most agree CP is better performed with more scope.... They go the needs argument
Even though they agree it is a poor argument?

We see a lot of people annoyed if we took Paddy

Would the Paddy supporters be upset if we took CP

I suggest not, why is this so??
They might be less upset because mccartIn fans seem to be level headed and trust the recruiters compared to some tracca or bust people. Just a guess

BrianSpeaking Rahul
does anyone have the arm length reach results on McCartin?
His standing reach was 81st percentile, above expected for his size. Arm span slightly lower at 69th percentile.
Ended the BigFooty Draft with...
National - Christian Petracca (1), Liam Duggan (21), Kyle Langford (22), Daniel Nielson (41)
Rookie - Daniel Butler (1), Tom Templeton (19), Harrison Kol (37),

His standing reach was 81st percentile, above expected for his size. Arm span slightly lower at 69th percentile.
National - Christian Petracca (1), Liam Duggan (21), Kyle Langford (22), Daniel Nielson (41)
Butler is a cracking get as a rookie... Three small mids though?

Even swapping CP with PM, that would be a damn fine get in the ND. Duggan and Langford were talked about top 12 picks so slipping to us would be gold. That would be a result and a half!!

Not sure about RD - I think we'll only take one slider with pick 1, the rest will be McKernan, Petrenko, Taylor, & Schneides (unless of course there is another young player we rate at pick 19 in the RD).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back