Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Sheahan on MMM this morning said no way Wright will even make 10, let alone 14. He's usually pretty clued up.

If Langford makes it past Collingwood at 4 then I think he will slip all the way to 14. The only way we don't take him is of there is an unexpected gem like Lever who we might be attracted to.
Kevin Sheahan wears rose coloured glasses and thinks all of the top 15 players should be in the top 10. 5 players get squeezed out and slide down the order depending on what teams need. Id like to see his phantom draft. Saying that tho I cant see gws, geelong, richmond and freo who all have a need for a fwrd/ruck passing on Wright hes just too good to overlook.

I reckon Garlett offers exactly what we dont have as well.

Langford, is a Tom Lynch across half forward. We already have that, and a very good one too. If and its a big if he moves to the midfield, he might be something different. But still hardly offers something of a massive need.
He's more athletically gifted and could easily play as tall mid and third tall defender ....eventually even second tall defender if he gets to 193cm + which is highly possible. Would still have lever top of list followed by wright if there then Langford

I reckon Garlett offers exactly what we dont have as well.

Langford, is a Tom Lynch across half forward. We already have that, and a very good one too. If and its a big if he moves to the midfield, he might be something different. But still hardly offers something of a massive need.

I like Tom Lynch and the role he plays. He's unique - we don't really have an equivalent. On the downside he's 24, not quick and injury prone.

Don't forget we are not drafting for tomorrow. Langford is not yet 18. By the time he is AFL ready Lynch could be 27, a bit banged up and slower still.

A roaming, athletic tall who is quick and takes a strong mark, plus hits the scoreboard is a pretty valuable player IMO.

Right now Lynch is the closest we have with no one coming through. Langford would be a good pick up if he develops into that role.

He's more athletically gifted and could easily play as tall mid and third tall defender ....eventually even second tall defender if he gets to 193cm + which is highly possible. Would still have lever top of list followed by wright if there then Langford
If we go tall, I like your order of selection if they are there.

Time will tell I guess... Hopefully it is a win-win trade..
If we end up with Wright, Lever or Durdin at pick 14 who knows which player will turn out to be the better at this stage

All the pressure in my humble opinion is on pick 35

I'm very much starting to think the same. Pick 14 does not worry me, it's the 35 that has me a little edgy. By the looks of things, there could still be some talented players in that 20-30 range, and we could very easily miss out on all of them. Menadue, Macdonald, Rainbow, both mckenzies etc all look like going before our pick and it's frustrating to say the least. Would love to have somehow kept 31 or used someone like Lyons/Wright and traded into the 20s this year given the depth.

I'm okay with our trades as a whole, but I think we gave up a little too much for Cheney and lowden. Both are not regular 22 players and it really would have been handy to maybe package the 31 to get us into the 20s.

I'm very much starting to think the same. Pick 14 does not worry me, it's the 35 that has me a little edgy. By the looks of things, there could still be some talented players in that 20-30 range, and we could very easily miss out on all of them. Menadue, Macdonald, Rainbow, both mckenzies etc all look like going before our pick and it's frustrating to say the least. Would love to have somehow kept 31 or used someone like Lyons/Wright and traded into the 20s this year given the depth.

I'm okay with our trades as a whole, but I think we gave up a little too much for Cheney and lowden. Both are not regular 22 players and it really would have been handy to maybe package the 31 to get us into the 20s.
Tend to agree the Hawks boys were expensive. They were the first dominoes to fall in our trade period and the pressure is equally on them IMO.

I agree. #35 seems to be too late for some of the likely players touted in this range.

I fear we just miss out on gun outside mids at 35( d McKenzie and menadue) and end up going tall again or viojo rainbow but with 43 and 58 guys like cunico, markov,hamilton and even boekhurst come into the mix

I fear we just miss out on gun outside mids at 35( d McKenzie and menadue) and end up going tall again or viojo rainbow but with 43 and 58 guys like cunico, markov,hamilton and even boekhurst come into the mix
Some phantoms have us going Hamilton at 35. Ramsey 43 mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a few ahead of him though, including one bolter who isn't Brayden Maynard so probably more likely to be the bolter.
The cat is amongst the pigeons again lol

Langford offers nothing we dont already have.
Would be a very meh pick.

He 's not a KPD true, but Langford is a different player to Tom Lynch. Lynch is not quick, Langford is and has a lighter frame. Has that x-factor which Lynch doesn't have. His upside is huge. I see a young Nigel Smart perhaps even a James Hird in him if he moves to the midfield.

Last edited:
Thanks. Shame I was warming to Langford.

Hmmm .... a bolter.
McKenzie possibly or even Menadue.

Oh the intrigue!!
I know you might not like this but Connor Blakely? One of our mids might leave and Thommo hasn't much left.
Just spitballing.

You're killing us here CC with these little tidbits.

Keep going.:D

I know you might not like this but Connor Blakely? One of our mids might leave and Thommo hasn't much left.
Just spitballing.
I'm thinking DMckenzie which eventually frees Brodie smith up to be the best outside mid in the comp

I was interested in having a look at past phantom drafts, and came across some pre-draft comments from Melbourne supporters. This should be a reminder of the danger of judging players based on what someone says on a forum, or what 'consensus' says is a good pick. We can't say a pick is a "reach" or a "steal" based on what the collective online wisdom is - the recruiters have more idea about players than us. Anyway:

Example 1:
I concur with these sentiments. I'd much rather Veszpremi and Marric at 14 and 21, as they have an X factor, than Dangerfield and Taylor. (Paddy and Harry!!!)

Example 2:
Too be perfectly honest I would be disappointed if, as Burgan moots, we took Dangerfield, Grimes, Henderson or McEvoy over Vesz at this pick.

Example 3:
Dangerfield has good raps (sic) but seems a little on the vanilla side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back