Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the golf commentating Peter Donergan or whatever his name is, is the ultimate talking head.
He's tailor made for the mute button. The dribble and repetition of the obvious is nauseating.
Like I said tailor made for the mute button. Past players like Finch and Grady only have to
make an informed comment and Donergan parrot's it ad nauseum

I see some irony there :D

Haha, I don't exactly love the bloke but this is nonsense. Start a thread with his name in it on the main board and you will induce a whole lot of invective - moreso than any other player in the comp.
And he is much more defended than Harry O is in those threads too. Goodes's opinions and speeches are downright insulting, holier than thou, and even aggressive in nature.

Lumamba apologised and retracted his Collingwood speech? When was the last time Goodes did that?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Adam Goodes certainly does some sniping acts on the football field, and for that he gives me the shits. Luke Hodge pisses me off in the same way. So I get where people are coming from with the whole "halo has slipped" thing. But Adam Goodes is far from being a s**t human, and I don't quite get the vitriolic hate.

Adam Goodes certainly does some sniping acts on the football field, and for that he gives me the shits. Luke Hodge pisses me off in the same way. So I get where people are coming from with the whole "halo has slipped" thing. But Adam Goodes is far from being a s**t human, and I don't quite get the vitriolic hate.

Nor do I about Lumumba.

The way Goodes goes about his off field work and opinions is patronising, to say the least, it can create harm. Lumamba is harmless, so therefore on the self righteous tool of a social campaigner stakes, IMO Goodes has him covered comfortably.

People like to have a bitch fit about him winning the Australian of the Year award as if he won it purely for the Collingwood recipient, taking out the stupid amount of community work he has done and what the AotY is all about (taken shamelessly from wikipedia: "offers an insight into Australian identity, reflecting the nation’s evolving relationship with world, the role of sport in Australian culture, the impact of multiculturalism, and the special status of Australia’s Indigenous people") which he covered pretty well. If people bothered to do their research:
"An Adnyamathanha man, Adam Goodes is a champion Australian Rules football player with the Sydney Swans. Adam holds an elite place in AFL history, winning two Brownlow Medals and two premierships. He is a four-time All-Australian, member of the Indigenous Team of the Century, and has represented Australia in the International Rules Series. Adam is proud of his Indigenous heritage, and is actively involved with several Indigenous sport and community programs. He has spent time working with troubled youth, including those in youth detention centres. Together with his cousin and former teammate Michael O’Loughlin, Adam established the Go Foundation which empowers the next generation of Indigenous role models in all walks of life. Adam co-chairs the foundation, focused on promoting education, employment and healthy lifestyles. Adam is a great role model and advocate for the fight against racism both on and off the field and is admired by a great many people around the nation."

They'd probably find he's done some great things off-field.

I got annoyed by his comments about Eddie post that racism scandal (ie: who cares if your relationship is severed?) but he's done a *load more than I have(and probably a good 95% of people who whinge about him) for the surrounding community so I'm comfortable with the fact that on occasion he might be a bit of a dick on the footy field.

Nor do I about Lumumba.

The way Goodes goes about his off field work and opinions is patronising, to say the least, it can create harm. Lumamba is harmless, so therefore on the self righteous tool of a social campaigner stakes, IMO Goodes has him covered comfortably.

"Create harm"? Really?

Re the golf commentating Peter Donergan or whatever his name is, is the ultimate talking head.
He's tailor made for the mute button. The dribble and repetition of the obvious is nauseating.
Like I said tailor made for the mute button. Past players like Finch and Grady only have to
make an informed comment and Donergan parrot's it ad nauseum

I call bullshit.

Donegan is an excellent commentator - one of the best and most versatile in Australia. He's covered the athletics at the olympics, state league footy, golf and racing. It's a shame we don't hear him calling the AFL.

I call bullshit.

Donegan is an excellent commentator - one of the best and most versatile in Australia. He's covered the athletics at the olympics, state league footy, golf and racing. It's a shame we don't hear him calling the AFL.
He does call AFL footy for Croc Media which can only be heard in regional centres and not Cities

I call bullshit.

Donegan is a *******.

Just like the rest of them.

"Create harm"? Really?

Maybe create harm is a but much, but his attitude and words burn more bridges than it should, considering the cause he is aiming for. When the guy accepts his Australian of the year medal by saying he doesn't like or agree with Australia day, even calling it invasion day, it does not endear him as a champion of the cause.

I'm not saying he is a s**t bloke, but the way he conducts himself off the footy field, I'm not a fan, and he is no better than Lumumba in the self righteous stakes.

I'd argue he's worse.

When the guy accepts his Australian of the year medal by saying he doesn't like or agree with Australia day, even calling it invasion day, it does not endear him as a champion of the cause.

I agree with him. Come at me. :)

And yeah, because the aboriginal cause has gained so much ground over the years by just sitting back and copping their medicine. But like you said, Lumumba is ok because he's "harmless". Perhaps the idea here isn't to be so "harmless".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with him. Come at me. :)

I agree Finny. If you were an indigenous Australian Edgie you may not be so hot on Australia Day either. Maybe do a little bit of reading about white settlement in Australia and then you might not then expect the indigenous Australians to be grateful about Australia Day and what conditions and changes it brought with it.

Things we learned from the IRS on Saturday;
  1. Not being allowed to gather the ball whilst on the ground allows for a more flowing game
  2. Build it and they will come. Kudos to the WA public for applying the ECG to IRS, but credit to the AFL moreso for ensuring that the best players possible are playing
  3. If Cameron Ling was a coach, his creed would be to "kick it to the top of the square"
  4. Wingard is the most freakishly talented player in the AFL right now
  5. Dangerfield is over-rated. Ok, we already knew that
  6. Extreme pace is a weapon that can't be taught

Things we learned from the IRS on Saturday;
  1. Not being allowed to gather the ball whilst on the ground allows for a more flowing game
  2. Build it and they will come. Kudos to the WA public for applying the ECG to IRS, but credit to the AFL moreso for ensuring that the best players possible are playing
  3. If Cameron Ling was a coach, his creed would be to "kick it to the top of the square"
  4. Wingard is the most freakishly talented player in the AFL right now
  5. Dangerfield is over-rated. Ok, we already knew that
  6. Extreme pace is a weapon that can't be taught

1. Only really works with a round ball as there is a kick option that is predictable.
2. YES!
4. He was great!

I'd like to add the obvious part of the AFL and the players taking it seriously means the fans will. Tying it to the AA honour is so sensible, it should almost be a criteria of AA in a particular year to make yourself available. As long as they are single game series this shouldn't be an issue and the cap gained IS the AA honour.

The international rules game was probably my most enjoyable live sporting experience. Such a young crowd and with no one really caring who won everyone was just having a blast. Watching so many big names, including three from Port, play a short sharp game was incredibly entertaining as well.

One downside, everyone was too merry and the line for a beer simply wasn't worth it after quarter time.

Would not hesitate to go again.

Last edited:
Leigh Matthews got it right when he said Goodes is a protected spieces - back in 2007 or so. He does acts on the field that the MRP ignore as does the tribunal if he gets that far. He is a bit of a snipper on the field but the cynic in me and probably Matthews, reckons he gets special treatment because he is a brownlow medalist, he is a good black role model and no way would an AFL body suspend Oz of the year.

sorry Adam but I will call the big KPPs - Gorillas whatever their skin colour.

I like to think that him doing his PCL at footy park in 2013 was a bit of footy karma for the several times he got away with belting Matt Thomas.

The international rules game was probably my most enjoyable live sporting experience. Such a young crowd and with no one really caring who won everyone was just having a blast. Watching so many big names, including three from Port, play a short sharp game was incredibly entertaining as well.

One downside, everyone was too merry and the line for a beer simply wasn't worth it after quarter time.

Would not hesitate to go again.

The biggest problem facing the world today, indeed the greatest social injustice known to man is having to line up for beer.

I'll vote for any political party that can fix this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back