International Tennis Premier League

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is an ordinary idea. The format itself sucks and will need to grow quite a lot if it wants to be around for a while. Players always complain about how long their seasons are but they decide to go and play this. I'm guessing the top guys will make sure they are there for the Abu Dhabi payday as well. Either players will take it seriously and contradict their lengthen the off season claims or more likely the players will not take it seriously and the event will become a joke.

players complain about how long the season is but Nadal is rumored to be paid over $1mill per match (and each match is only 1 set!). So he will end up playing 6 sets for $6 million dollars. almost impossible to refuse! plus its not much physical effort. i think they train more than that usually anyway hehe.

i think the main complaint about the length of the season is the length of the compulsory season. the masters events are compulsory (and worth a lot of ranking points). they should make the masters end before the us open (in other words, there should be less masters events).

the way it is now, nadal has to choose between his health and the #1 ranking. he's heading for a 4th year-ending #1 (that puts him only one behind federer).

IMO the format is a brilliant idea. Like World Team Tennis and that has been going for ages. Nice change from the standard 3 or 5 sets. There is actually some team strategy involved.

IMO the format is a brilliant idea. Like World Team Tennis and that has been going for ages. Nice change from the standard 3 or 5 sets. There is actually some team strategy involved.
i agree and its fun how you have such big names in the one team. Nadal and Sampras in the same team!

The current season just can turn into a bit of a bore-fest. If it wasn't for the on court logos its hard to distinguish one tournament from another at times. And with courts becoming more and more standardised and suited to base line sluggery, its no wonder something like that has come about to try and wrest back waning interest in the sport.

F*ck off some of these boring and unattended 250 and 500 tournaments (and maybe a 1000 tournament ie: the diabolical Madrid Masters) and get around it I say!

So the IPTL starts in 3 days. Interesting format. Kinda looking forward to it. Does anyone know if its televised?

So Ivanovic beats Serena in an exhibition in straights, destroys Hantuchova and Sharapova at the ITPL and then loses to Mladenovic. :rolleyes:

Players seem to be giving the tournament a great wrap. Big crowds, and exciting format. Could be the start of something

Why the hell wasnt it on tv????

Players seem to be giving the tournament a great wrap. Big crowds, and exciting format. Could be the start of something

Why the hell wasnt it on tv????
Not much interest from the Aussies that would rather watch repeats of Golf every two hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was shown in the UK - watched some over the weekend.

Actually really liked the format - as someone above said its a good change up from the dime-a-dozen, same-same tournaments you get on the tour now that the majority of courts/playing styles are the same across the board.

Nearly got a semi on Sunday when the Poo was playing Rafter - with both serving and volleying on every point.

This tournament has been really great and format is exciting. I have been keeping up to date with the itpl channel on you tube. Tennis is usually a very individual sport so this is a great addition. Great to see players of different nations bonding and getting along. Hope this gets some free to air coverage next year!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back