Past Joel Patfull (2005-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

According to The Inquirer, Joel has taken 45 intercept marks this year, 6 more than any other player in the comp.
Big reason why I have him as our most deserving AA selection. Winning the ball back is vital in modern footy and he's doing it better than any other defender.

He gets another run in this edition about defence as well. Can't complain that it's for basically the same thing, the more recognition Joel gets the better!

Very interesting move for the Pies to play a defensive forward on Patfull. Another sign that he's recognised as a bloody good footballer.

I actually thought it worked for a while as it really exposed the Clarke on Cloke match up as the Pies were prepared to play through Goldsack.

However, I also thought it freed up a guy like Adcock who had one of his best games.

I'm a bit blown away by that. Patfull got tagged.

And still had a good game.

If only we had one either end of the ground.

BwxYx85CAAAW4hc.jpg

Merrett set to remain at Lions

The manager of Lions defender Joel Patfull confirmed that the two-time club champion was looking at a possible move to Sydney, where Patfull plans to live after he retires. “Brisbane control that process because he’s contracted but if there’s an opportunity of getting to a Sydney club, we would look at it,’’ Shane Casley said on Melbourne radio.

Swann said the club would hate to lose someone of Patfull’s experience and there was still a good chance he would be staying at the Gabba. He said all discussions with Patfull had been amicable and there was no bad blood between the defender and the club. Greater Western Sydney is interested in picking up Patfull.

Brisbane Lions defender Joel Patfull far from landing at Sydney Swans

Joel Patfull's manager Shane Casley has poured cold water on the prospect of the Brisbane key defender heading to Sydney next year. News Limited reported that the two-time best-and-fairest winner wanted out of the Gabba and had his heart set on a move to the Harbour City. Casley confirmed Patfull desired relocating to Sydney eventually, but told radio station SEN that a lot of things had to fall into place for that to occur as early as next month. "That's speculation at this stage, Joel is contracted to the Brisbane Lions for next year and we've certainly spoken to them about extending his contract," Casley said. "He's certainly indicated to me and the club that at the end of his footy career he'd like to live in Sydney.

"If there was an opportunity to get to a Sydney club next year we'd look at it but again it would have to be with the total consent of the Brisbane Lions. "At the end of the day, Brisbane control that process because he's contracted." While Brisbane CEO Greg Swann said the club would be loath to lose an experienced campaigner like Patfull from its playing list, he wouldn't rule out trading him if the right offer came up. "He's certainly our premium defender, every week he gets the best opposition forward," Swann told AFL Trade Radio. "We don't have 100 Joel Patfulls floating around this place. "I think we're the third or fourth youngest team so that maturity would be a loss for us but if you got a young guy who might be the next Joel Patfull and can play for 10 years then you might look at that."

When he was first rumoured to of been leaving I didn't want to believe it. Now it's looking like happening I think he is doing us a good deal and we are doing the right thing by him (maybe collingwood should take notes). In saying that its gunna kill me seeing him in a giants jumper next season.

All the best to you Joel Patful you have been one of the best quite archeivers going around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still trying to get my head around him not being in lions colours next year. Glad everyone is happy in the trade and what eventuated for him and the lions.

Kinda have a soft spot for the giants now. Good luck joel.

I think my nan has better facial hair than Phil Davis.

Joel will be really good for them but there's a fair chance Bundy will be better for us.

Still trying to get my head around him not being in lions colours next year. Glad everyone is happy in the trade and what eventuated for him and the lions.

Yeah in all the excitement over Beams and Christensen I keep forgetting we lost Patfull.

Not sure I have properly mourned his loss yet.

Story of Joellys career, consistant player who is constantly forgotten.

BTW he got traded out when this thread was up to page 24. I'll let you guys have fun with that.

Story of Joellys career, consistant player who is constantly forgotten.

"Taken for granted" is closer to the mark I reckon, rather than forgotten.

Tends to happen with the unflashy Mr Reliable types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back