Games & Recreation Photography: Who's into it what Camera and Lens do you have and show us some of pictures thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just started getting into astrophotography

Camera is a Canon 700d with a tokina f 2.8 11-16mm , am doing an under the stars workshop next april to improve my skills

blurred.jpg mallemw.jpg

They're fantastic MannumPower.

I've got a problem with my lens. 2 spots appear in every pic and I've wiped inside and out and can't get rid of it. I can't see it on the lens. Is it a possible scratch?
Thanks, I'm assuming you've tried another lens in your camera and there is no issue as it could be something in the camera body causing it. What are you using to clean the lens with?

A couple more I took a month ago, I really struggle getting the stars in focus, the shots look ok now but when you zoom in some are way out of focus.

lagoon.jpg reedy.jpg

Looking into a new camera.. thinking a Canon 60D.. thoughts?

I have found the best place to do camera research is www.dpreview.com . You can compare all the different cameras side by side which helps in making your choice. In hindsight I wish I went for the Canon 7d but being new to the whole dslr thing I'm still happy with my choice, a full frame camera would be even better for my type of photography.

I have found the best place to do camera research is www.dpreview.com . You can compare all the different cameras side by side which helps in making your choice. In hindsight I wish I went for the Canon 7d but being new to the whole dslr thing I'm still happy with my choice, a full frame camera would be even better for my type of photography.
Thanks for that link. What are you currently shooting with if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, I'm assuming you've tried another lens in your camera and there is no issue as it could be something in the camera body causing it. What are you using to clean the lens with?
I only have the one 55 lens.. Have taken it apart and cleaned everything I could with a clean rayban softclof. Probably ****ed up there somewhere.

MannumPower, are they single shots, or has the foreground been overlaid with the shots of the night sky?
They are single shots, probably 25 to 30 sec exposure . I haven't purchased any post processing program's yet, hopefully they come at Xmas then I can start improving the end product

They are single shots, probably 25 to 30 sec exposure . I haven't purchased any post processing program's yet, hopefully they come at Xmas then I can start improving the end product
That's pretty cool then. I always assumed shots like that were all post processed in some way. I've never managed a shot like that as the foreground light always tends to wash out the night sky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's pretty cool then. I always assumed shots like that were all post processed in some way. I've never managed a shot like that as the foreground light always tends to wash out the night sky.
Post processing would most definitely improve the final picture, but the key is playing around to get the settings right and a really dark sky. The standard dslr kit lenses are ok but a fast wide angle lens is much better as it allows more light in so you can see the smaller stars.

Post processing would most definitely improve the final picture, but the key is playing around to get the settings right and a really dark sky. The standard dslr kit lenses are ok but a fast wide angle lens is much better as it allows more light in so you can see the smaller stars.
Yeah I think my equipment isn't quite there yet. I've got a wide angle lens but it ain't fast. I did get some good shots from the middle of Africa, but they were sky only, no foreground.

I only have the one 55 lens.. Have taken it apart and cleaned everything I could with a clean rayban softclof. Probably ****** up there somewhere.
It's almost certainly on the camera sensor.

You need something like this to clean it - http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod3448.htm

But read up on the net before cleaning the sensor. You can * the camera completely if you're not careful. It's all basic stuff once you know it but some people might not realise how sensitive the sensor and the regions around it can be.

Anyone recommend a good tripod, I have a dick smith one and the plastic is breaking and when fully extended it can't hold the weight of my camera with the tokina lens. Don't really want to spend more than $200 but am keen to see what others are using.

Anyone recommend a good tripod, I have a dick smith one and the plastic is breaking and when fully extended it can't hold the weight of my camera with the tokina lens. Don't really want to spend more than $200 but am keen to see what others are using.
I bought a Gorilla Pod SLR-Zoom for my trip through Africa and I still use it. Its pretty good, though it does struggle a bit with my 70-300mm zoom lens. No issue with my wide angle lens though. It's really versatile as it can be put/wrapped around anything, you don't need to rely on a flat surface for stability.

There is a more heavy duty one in the range that can cope with up to 5kg.

Tossing up between a Canon 60D pre-owned as they are about $700 cheaper and a Canon 1200D brand new.

Thoughts?
have you thought about getting a grey import? You are buying from overseas you don't get an aussie warranty but it is still under warranty but overseas, the cameras are a lot cheaper. I can pm you a couple of websites to check out. I have bought my last two cameras this way and have had no issues at all. Have bought my lenses this way too, although the lenses weren't a lot cheaper. It is a risk to take but I got my 700d twin lens kit for about $790 and myer were selling the same one the other day for $1400 (probably cheaper at teds or diamonds).

Also bought a tripod yesterday, a manfrotto, holds up to 3.5kg so should be much better than my el cheapo one. will try and get my camping pics up too. Posted them on my facebook page but not here.

Took this last night with my Trusty D5100 and 18-140mm lens

DSC_0026-1_zps1d4cadc9.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back