Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the comments on cricinfo, many are saying may Allah bless him.

Well how else would a Pakistani or Bangladeshi pray for him?

Just goes to show that he's getting wide spread support from cricket fans everywhere

Last edited:

Well how else would a Pakistani or Bangladeshi pray for him?

Just goes to show that he's get wide spread support from cricket fans everywhere

James Sutherland mentioned receiving texts from NZ players/staff wishing Phil all the best.

Fox Sports showing tweets from all around the globe from all various forms of sport too.

This incident is bound to have an impact on all fast bowlers out there. Will they hold back on bowling bouncers ?
If Hughes pulls through quickly things will return to normal ,but if things dont pan out... its bound to have some kind of psychological impact on fast bowlers who use bouncers. Will Mitch Johnson (for example) be so hostile in the upcoming matches?

Thoughtful message from the touring Indian cricket team.:thumbsu:

nf203n.jpg

I must admit it's a very anxious wait. I've only had about 2 hours of work that I needed to get through this afternoon but can't concentrate enough to even really start it.

I can't imagine what family and those close to him would be going through.

I must admit it's a very anxious wait. I've only had about 2 hours of work that I needed to get through this afternoon but can't concentrate enough to even really start it.

I can having been through an identical situation. It seems like everything is a blur & time doesn't move.

The 48 hour wait must be horrible.

This incident is bound to have an impact on all fast bowlers out there. Will they hold back on bowling bouncers ?
If Hughes pulls through quickly things will return to normal ,but if things dont pan out... its bound to have some kind of psychological impact on fast bowlers who use bouncers. Will Mitch Johnson (for example) be so hostile in the upcoming matches?

An interesting question. I would think professional quicks would still use the bouncer as they have in the past. As unfortunate as the Hughes incident was, it was an accident, and accidents happen in elite sports. It's just an unfortunate bi-product.

In support of your question, I was playing many years ago on a pitch that was making me look like Dennis Lillee. I was getting balls to lift and fly everywhere. It was dangerous. At one stage I had 4/2 and a couple of other batsmen had to retire hurt. Something inside me snapped. There were only tail enders left, and I was genuinely worried about seriously hurting someone .... so I kept the ball up ... and ended up with 4/30. Just goes to show I just didn't have that killer instinct to play top level cricket :)

We're all human, and things like this really make you think. I'd be very interested in other peoples' thoughts on this.

I think the same happened to Rick Darling in Adelaide in the 1978/79 Ashes series.

My high school art teacher got hit in the temple while fielding at short leg back in the early 80s.

When he finally returned to school, he looked and moved like a stroke survivor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got home about lunchtime and was planning on watching some of the Bushrangers Shield game via streaming while keeping an eye on the other matches and getting through some paper work. Ended up getting nothing done work wise and barely glanced at the Victorian match. The news filtering through just went form bad to worse to the point where I felt physically ill and could not concentrate on anything. Not a particular Hughes fan (but not not a fan, if you know what I mean) but was just stunned by what I was hearing and surprised how strongly it affected me, it was like it was happening to a relative or a close friend. Makes you realise how important sport is in our lives and how much you come to care for the players.

My high school art teacher got hit in the temple while fielding at short leg back in the early 80s.

It would have a huge effect on your quality of life, no doubt.

It's like torture isn't it? I remember what it felt like when my Dad was in a similar situation. The worst thing is you feel so helpless.

It certainly is. It's amazing the games the mind plays on you because you're in a bad headspace.

I think a big congratulations to the cricket fraternity in the way they handled the situation.:thumbsu:

I mentioned that it was the effort of both cricket teams, officials, health practitioners, police, ambo's and hospital staff that may have saved his life.

With head injuries, a minute or two is the difference between life and death.

Absolutely agree with this.
:(

An interesting question. I would think professional quicks would still use the bouncer as they have in the past. As unfortunate as the Hughes incident was, it was an accident, and accidents happen in elite sports. It's just an unfortunate bi-product.

In support of your question, I was playing many years ago on a pitch that was making me look like Dennis Lillee. I was getting balls to lift and fly everywhere. It was dangerous. At one stage I had 4/2 and a couple of other batsmen had to retire hurt. Something inside me snapped. There were only tail enders left, and I was genuinely worried about seriously hurting someone .... so I kept the ball up ... and ended up with 4/30. Just goes to show I just didn't have that killer instinct to play top level cricket :)

We're all human, and things like this really make you think. I'd be very interested in other peoples' thoughts on this.

You're absolutely correct. This is very much the case with tennis as well, when a player is visibly distressed through injury quite often their opponent completely loses their bundle and even the set. It might not even necessarily be out of compassion or concern but it effects you regardless.

A friend of my parents got struck in the head with a cricket ball and died at school...

obviously I never met this guy, but I know his sister well (she's my 'aunty') and I grew up best friends with her kids (so it would've been their uncle who died) - She hated cricket balls and never let us use a real one when we played in the backyard at her place.... which you would understand...

I've never been a fan of cricket balls anyway - was a terrible cricketer so the idea of ever using a real one, and probably getting hit by them, never appealed

this stuff just re-affirms a bit of a fear I've had of them

A hit to his heart doesn't mean it struck him left of centre on the rib cage.

If it hit the neck you'd imagine it could hit an artery.

As far as being hit in the heart playing cricket, you'll find that it's right handed batsmen being hit by a lifter in the armpit. There have been deaths from this happening. I seem to remember a teenager dying some years ago in Victoria.

That faceplant into the pitch was horrifying to watch, perhaps even more than Bianchi's accident because it's such an unexpected sight out on a cricket field.

I lost my Mum after a brain trauma/surgery/coma ordeal so cases like Schumacher, Bianchi and Hughes hit pretty close to home. The 24 hour news cycle desperate for updates stirs up memories of spending days in the waiting rooms desperately hanging on every doctor's update even though you know they aren't going to know any more than last time, desperate for any sort of news but knowing the only way you're going to hear any in a hurry is if it's bad.

My thoughts are with his family, it's a horrible thing to have to go through.

Last edited:
As far as being hit in the heart playing cricket, you'll find that it's right handed batsmen being hit by a lifter in the armpit. There have been deaths from this happening. I seem to remember a teenager dying some years ago in Victoria.
Unfortunately there have been a few.

A first grade wicket keeper in Sydney got hit in the chest in the 70's or maybe early 80's and died on the pitch.

It amazes you to think guys faced up to the likes of Jeff Thomson and co without helmets, and padding about half the size and thickness of today. Scary stuff. Bankstown even demoted Thommo to third or fourth grade once for disciplinary reasons. He was about 20 at the time I think. Insanity sort of stuff.

why did it have to be Hughes, not that i'd wish this upon anybody, and we'd all have the same support if it were someone else, but he was the obvious choice to replace Clarke, just unlucky it wasn't centimetres any direction from where it hit, he'd have been fine.
Hopefully he can pull through and play at the top level again

Hopefully Abbott's still able to bowl as well as he has been, even just able to pitch one short again, it'd be pretty tough to go back to after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back