List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it depends on what stevens means in his tweet about a late testing curve ball with Petracca, is there something there that could turn melb off?

I think the only curve ball was the hip injury. Clubs get petrified with hip injuries as players often take ages to recover if at all.

Dees took Toump after a hip surgery and he has been an absolute flop.

Still...hard to see both clubs passing on Petracca...he's just too good.

I guess it depends on what stevens means in his tweet about a late testing curve ball with Petracca, is there something there that could turn melb off?

I really can't see it, McCartin to the saints always made sense and would be a surprise, but not a shock, Melbourne passing on Petracca would be extremely odd for mine and there is no way they don't want Brayshaw..

And if Twomey is right you could say that with Pickett, Ahern, Goddard, Langford and Steele on talent were pretty much bringing in 5 first rounders

I have the love for Ahern that abounds in others, but that wouldn't be a bad pickup, Goddard and Langford being utility types, maybe tall mids.
If we got Pickett, Goddard and Langford I wouldn't mind who we picked at 6, that's a great get, and there has to be knowledge some picks are made with the eye to trade either that player or the guy he replaces on later.. We are still a few year off any kind of list stability.

I still hope we grab Daniel at 23 and really create some news, but I can't see it

I think our recruiters think our inside mids are good, our elite runners are good but our we're light for small forwards.

If Dev got injured we would be reliant on Lamb, Sumner and Palmer which whilst serviceable is hardly a fear to opposition defenders.

With Pickett and Ahern we will become very unpredictable. No they won't compile 25+ possession games but they will provide X factor, speed and a point of difference.

It's exactly what we need to compliment what we already have.

Should be good drafting I reckon!

Everyone seems locked into Pickett at 4 which would see competition for the small forward spot next year with Lamb, Palmer and authors although depending on Picketts size could determine how many afl games he plays
I can see the club going Goddard and Lever or possibly Durdin as I see the defence as an area needing strengthening after losing Frost and Jaksch and the amount of injuries the Club had during the year and the extra time it takes for these players to mature
KPDs Davis maybe ?s due to Kidney 3rd tall Patfull 2 seasons left?
Mohr 2015 injured Plowman Nicknamed WTF
Corr will he develop fully Buntine Tall enough?
Haynes
other possibles I see are Tomlinson, McCarthy and Finlayson
if we add 2 of the 3 from above would give great depth and options in a couple of years when the players are further developed

Everyone seems locked into Pickett at 4 which would see competition for the small forward spot next year with Lamb, Palmer and authors although depending on Picketts size could determine how many afl games he plays
I can see the club going Goddard and Lever or possibly Durdin as I see the defence as an area needing strengthening after losing Frost and Jaksch and the amount of injuries the Club had during the year and the extra time it takes for these players to mature
KPDs Davis maybe ?s due to Kidney 3rd tall Patfull 2 seasons left?
Mohr 2015 injured Plowman Nicknamed WTF
Corr will he develop fully Buntine Tall enough?
Haynes
other possibles I see are Tomlinson, McCarthy and Finlayson
if we add 2 of the 3 from above would give great depth and options in a couple of years when the players are further developed

Outside of Goddard theres a bit of talk that we will add a couple nsw/act lads to address our key def depth either as very late picks or thru the rookie draft. As far as far as Pickett goes for mine he is very much a need as neither of Sumner or Lamb have come on the way we would like and with Pickett's lightning speed could see him picking up a number of games as the sub and that extra leg speed could make a difference in some close games.

Pickett as a sub would be a real worry for other teams especially late in the season with opposition players carrying a few minor injuries.

I think Toby's future is dependent on a matter currently before the Courts. Otherwise, given the effort he put in following the Club imposed suspension, I think he's here for the duration.

I don't know - he's just ultra competitive by nature. Leon Cameron said as much at WaterWorld training day where he was trying to win every event.
But if that's what he gets up to in Melbourne maybe he better stay here.

I think the only curve ball was the hip injury. Clubs get petrified with hip injuries as players often take ages to recover if at all.

Dees took Toump after a hip surgery and he has been an absolute flop.

Still...hard to see both clubs passing on Petracca...he's just too good.

If it is a hip. I'd take Pickett and hope the continual drop scares off the Pies (just like in Draft Day) and we pick him at 7.

Langford at 23 is good value but at 190cm and only 73kg, he's a few years away. In Twomey's draft both Connor Blakely and Reece McKenzie are available.
I'd take either of them. McKenzie is a 196cm 106kg beast KPF and Blakely is a smooth inside mid who could probably replace Greene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emma Quayle has her top 30 players out. Very different. Players we're linked to:
Wright at 2, Laverde 7, Ahern 9, Lever 11, Steele 12, Pickett 13, Langford 17, Goddard 23, Blakely 29.

I've been watching all these little video clips of the potential draftees and the only one that has really impressed me has been Pickett. Wright if we want (yet another) big man, but the others.... (Leverde, Weller, Goddard, Lever, Brayshaw De Goey etc etc) toss a coin. They all look ok, we don't really need any of them, whoever we pick up will be welcome and do alright, but there didn't seem to be any particular stand out among them.
You don't really need any type in particular so speculation picks with huge upside seems a plan.

Picket - could be a game changer
Ahern - so composed and hits the scoreboard and let's face it best score wins.
Wright - scary is his potential, I don't understand the slider talk and would have no hesitation in your position.

Looks like it's basically official McCartin will be pick 1 for St Kilda...wonder if it turns out another Watts/Natainui moment??

Unfortunately that compo pick for Frawley means there is no positive impact for us however :-(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back