Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There must be 3 or 4 players in the draft that are going to go around the 10-30 range that are really messing up the order because nobody can really tell where they should land exactly due to the fact they have been out for massive parts of the year due to injury. Really is muddying the waters. That to me can only be a good thing for us.

There must be 3 or 4 players in the draft that are going to go around the 10-30 range that are really messing up the order because nobody can really tell where they should land exactly due to the fact they have been out for massive parts of the year due to injury. Really is muddying the waters. That to me can only be a good thing for us.
Marchbank, Goddard, Wright, Langford and Weller are the ones I'm not sure about.

Walker is on track to play 250 games for the club.

We'd love to select such a 'bust' with every selection we have.
My reasoning is that I would hope a pick 2 would deliver at least an all Australian and club BNF. But given it now looks like an incredibly poor draft year I reckon we have come out okay.

My reasoning is that I would hope a pick 2 would deliver at least an all Australian and club BNF. But given it now looks like an incredibly poor draft year I reckon we have come out okay.
As B&S said Walks was cheated out of AA twice and came second in the B&F just last year.

Well he was robbed of the All Australian that year he kicked 50+ goals as a half forward. The year before that he was on track to be AA CHB before he hurt his shoulder again. Remember him destroying Hawkins in one game.

Well he was robbed of the All Australian that year he kicked 50+ goals as a half forward. The year before that he was on track to be AA CHB before he hurt his shoulder again. Remember him destroying Hawkins in one game.
Was robbed in making the AA squad last year too.

Every club is always a winner. Think about it..............What's the worst that can happen for any team?

Every club will at worst, get the player they rated at their selection, so the they'll either say, "we got who we wanted" or "we did better than we expected" :)

They can't lose.

ha, yeah I know. I was unclearly referring to supporters of clubs rather than the officials. There seems to be about 30 players that you could throw a blanket over so we're all going to nab one or two of them (except Port) and walk away as winners. I'm predicting little post-draft banter (crazy, I know) bc everyone seems to rate almost everyone about the same for the first 30-35 picks. It's strange situation unlike any other draft yet. It will be interesting to see in a few years whether it shows as being a strong crop or a weak crop.

..........in other words everyone. :)

Can't see what there isn't to like about him unless his back is an issue.

Would be happy with Marchbank at #19...........and Garlett..........and Menadue.........and Viojo-Rainbow.........and Ahern.......and De Goey.......and Ellis

Any of those 2 would be a pretty could net result for us.
Thought you were a big fan of Lamb?

Kinda wish still had pick 7. We have to rely on a lot going our way and player we want slipping to 19

You are kidding me!

If we take phantom draft of Callum Twomey as an example, the trade looks like:
Hugh Goddard for Jaksch, Wiley and Marchbank. And if not Marchbank, it will be a very good player.

As good as Goddard may become (or whoever drafted at 7), I think we nailed this trade!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are kidding me!

Hugh Goddard for Jaksch, Wiley and Marchbank. And if not Marchbank, it will be a very good player.

As good as Goddard may become (or whoever drafted at 7), I think we nailed this trade!
Yeah that really is an excellent point. I have seen people saying Ahern could fall to us and I have also seen phantom drafts of De Goey and Goddard in the in the mid to late teens. Twomey has these players pushing up to 5 and 6 in the draft. Fair to assume we have really made an excellent educated decision regarding the talent of the draft knowing that we haven't dropped much off in the talent stakes between picks 7 to 19, and in addition have picked up Jaksch and Whiley. Really a super trade on face value. We will have to wait a few years to see how the person we picked at 19 turns out comparatively to who fell between pick 7 to 18 and who we might have been able to take, but as I say on its face value it seems like we have come out well ahead on this trade.

Ok about 36 hours to go. It's hard to ignore all this Marchbank talk. Do we really need another 3rd tall in defense is the question. We already have White filling that spot along with Jones as the 3rd tall up forward. Depth wise we have Jaksch and Giles, and injuries aside I feel like that is enough.

Person I want to fall to us that fills the need - Nakia Cockatoo
Person I would take a chance on - Tom Lamb
Person we won't take but would have been a get - Touk Miller

Yeah that really is an excellent point. I have seen people saying Ahern could fall to us and I have also seen phantom drafts of De Goey and Goddard in the in the mid to late teens. Twomey has these players pushing up to 5 and 6 in the draft. Fair to assume we have really made an excellent educated decision regarding the talent of the draft knowing that we haven't dropped much off in the talent stakes between picks 7 to 19, and in addition have picked up Jaksch and Whiley. Really a super trade on face value. We will have to wait a few years to see how the person we picked at 19 turns out comparatively to who fell between pick 7 to 18 and who we might have been able to take, but as I say on its face value it seems like we have come out well ahead on this trade.

Ok about 36 hours to go. It's hard to ignore all this Marchbank talk. Do we really need another 3rd tall in defense is the question. We already have White filling that spot along with Jones as the 3rd tall up forward. Depth wise we have Jaksch and Giles, and injuries aside I feel like that is enough.

Person I want to fall to us that fills the need - Nakia Cockatoo
Person I would take a chance on - Tom Lamb
Person we won't take but would have been a get - Touk Miller
If we do take Marchbank, it's because we think he is capable of playing KPP IMO.

Thought you were a big fan of Lamb?

Not unless we somehow take him. :)
Wasn't a fan in September and nothing has changed for me to have become a fan today.

Knightmare has his final Phantom out and has us taking Lever @ #19 & Maynard @ #28
Would be pretty happy to get Lever here. Not the mid we're after but has everything else going for him.

Your reasoning for Walker being a bust is that he's never been named an All-Australian?

Each to their own but I prefer to judge a player's worth on their contribution to the club on and off the field, rather than relying on the likes of Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett and Luke Darcy.

You are kidding me!

Agree wholeheartedly. Will go a step further and say it could turn out to be the best pick 7 ever.

To be fair he never actually concluded that Walker was a bust...

So pumped for tomorrow night. Can't wait to wildly celebrate each of our selections before finding out who they are via bigfooty.

Less than 36 hours to go now.
In full countdown mode now.

Agree wholeheartedly. Will go a step further and say it could turn out to be the best pick 7 ever.

What people also miss to understand, is that we would have also had to find another two players for the list to be completed.

Instead of having Jaksch and Whiley, who look more than capable of forging AFL careers, we would have had to unbalance the list further using either #79 & #97 in the ND or picking up another 2 rookies.

GWS also have an ordinary development program for now and the guys we've acquired will benefit greatly from being pushed in ways they hadn't been before.
That's not guesswork either. Jaksch has been genuinely surprised at the difference in training regimes.........shocked actually :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back