Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
From Emma Quayle

Q: Emma,
Love your great work on potential draftees.
As a Sydney supporter, who do you think the Swans will be looking at for their first live pick at 37.
Glenn

A: Hi Glenn, I think they'd love a key back but not sure there will be any there that they like. Maybe a small forward like Jack Lonie. Tom Lamb would be a great pick for them if he gets that far.

Q: Do you think Isaac Heeney will be in the Swans best 22 next year? Will the Swans be able to recruit a tall defender with their first live pick or will it be to late in the draft?

A: Hi Dan. I think they'd like a key back at 37, but I'm not sure how much they like the ones on offer this year. Heeney should play some senior footy next year, I'd be amazed if he doesn't. Might not go straight into the centre square but could start at HF or HB and do his time in the midfield too. He's a very good player.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...at-live-with-emma-quayle-20141125-11t95x.html

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
God I hope we get Lonie. If we dont take him at 37 and considering we are apparently not using our pick in the fifties, if he goes between then and our first rookie pick I will be pissed!

Just looked at Jack Lonie's highlights and to be honest they were not that impressive, nothing to suggest that if he is available at pick 37 we would be nuts not to take him at least.

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
God I hope we get Lonie. If we dont take him at 37 and considering we are apparently not using our pick in the fifties, if he goes between then and our first rookie pick I will be pissed!

If Lonie or Beasley goes between 57 and our first rookie pick I'll be filthy.... Ideally we should take Lonie at 37 and then sit tight and wait to see if Beasley is available at 57

Surely Lamb won't last til 37 - Emma Quayle is smoking something

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Just looked at Jack Lonie's highlights and to be honest they were not that impressive, nothing to suggest that if he is available at pick 37 we would be nuts not to take him at least.

There is a much better highlights video somewhere but I cant find it now. Even this one is better.

Pick Me for AFL Draft Jack Lonie:

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Lonie has been likened to Hayden Ballentyne, so whilst he can crumb he is known as a lead up small forward. Known for defensive pressure. He is still my pick at 37 unless a key back slips
Well I guess we do need a small forward crumber. But he is more a long shot prospect, I guess that's what pick 37 gets us.

Well I guess we do need a small forward crumber. But he is more a long shot prospect, I guess that's what pick 37 gets us.

He is probably the best one in the draft though. Small forwards rarely go in the first 2 rounds

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I doubt he's been mentioned in here but I like the look of Daniel Howe as a utility with the potential to possibly step into midfield rotations in a few years, albeit at his size (192cms) you're taking a gamble on that eventuating. Was second in the kicking tests at the combine and plays as a back flanker - good intercept mark, pretty strong tackler and gets a high percentage of his numbers via contested possessions, he's also spent some time forward this year.... just a thought

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I doubt he's been mentioned in here but I like the look of Daniel Howe as a utility with the potential to possibly step into midfield rotations in a few years, albeit at his size (192cms) you're taking a gamble on that eventuating. Was second in the kicking tests at the combine and plays as a back flanker - good intercept mark, pretty strong tackler and gets a high percentage of his numbers via contested possessions, he's also spent some time forward this year.... just a thought

Such a awkward height though. Not tall enough to be a key position defender and probably does not have the tank to be a midfielder.

37. SydneyDaniel HOWEMurray Bushrangers | 4/12/95 | H: 192cm | W: 85kgDan is another private school boy who came back and played for us as a 19-year-old and was superb. Dan has really clean hands, makes good, quick decisions by hand and foot and executes well under pressure. He showed great vision in traffic, and will hit someone 50 metres away without them having to change stride. He went into the midfield for us this year and was brilliant, including a three-goal game in the final at Visy Park. Played well for Vic Country and three games for Richmond’s VFL team and did well. He has the dimensions and attributes of the new-age big midfielder, and has done everything right. – Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier
– Dan Howe
Position: Utility
Height: 191 cm, Weight: 84 kg, DOB: 12/04/1995
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Plays like:
Looming as the Tom Langdon of this year’s draft, Dan Howe is a tall utility who has really found a home at half back this year for the Bushrangers. In particular, he has starred in the role for Vic Country in the Championships. The 19-year old prospect has gone from rangy forward to a rebounding defender, who – like Langdon – isn’t afraid to take an overhead mark in defence and use the ball confidently by foot under pressure. He links up well with a chain of handballs, and is another player whose lateral movement is quite good. He’s comfortable at ground level, rarely fumbling while also tackling hard and holding his own in one-on-one battles. His instincts as a forward come to the fore in defence, where he takes a higher than average amount of defensive marks. He uses the ball quickly, but his composure in particular is terrific. The way in which he has evolved himself into a more damaging and versatile player since being overlooked last year points to positive signs for further development, in which he’s projected to become a permanent midfielder, or at least wingman. His elimination final for the Bushrangers was his best effort of the year, playing as a goal-kicking, high accumulating wingman who offered drive and an attacking nature blended with supreme TWO - WAY RUNNING ( Horse all over it ).

Is it another Lockyer though , depends what position I guess . Seems to be developing into a mid ( not a bad size mid if capable )

Last edited:

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
37. SydneyDaniel HOWEMurray Bushrangers | 4/12/95 | H: 192cm | W: 85kgDan is another private school boy who came back and played for us as a 19-year-old and was superb. Dan has really clean hands, makes good, quick decisions by hand and foot and executes well under pressure. He showed great vision in traffic, and will hit someone 50 metres away without them having to change stride. He went into the midfield for us this year and was brilliant, including a three-goal game in the final at Visy Park. Played well for Vic Country and three games for Richmond’s VFL team and did well. He has the dimensions and attributes of the new-age big midfielder, and has done everything right. – Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier
– Dan Howe
Position: Utility
Height: 191 cm, Weight: 84 kg, DOB: 12/04/1995
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Plays like:
Looming as the Tom Langdon of this year’s draft, Dan Howe is a tall utility who has really found a home at half back this year for the Bushrangers. In particular, he has starred in the role for Vic Country in the Championships. The 19-year old prospect has gone from rangy forward to a rebounding defender, who – like Langdon – isn’t afraid to take an overhead mark in defence and use the ball confidently by foot under pressure. He links up well with a chain of handballs, and is another player whose lateral movement is quite good. He’s comfortable at ground level, rarely fumbling while also tackling hard and holding his own in one-on-one battles. His instincts as a forward come to the fore in defence, where he takes a higher than average amount of defensive marks. He uses the ball quickly, but his composure in particular is terrific. The way in which he has evolved himself into a more damaging and versatile player since being overlooked last year points to positive signs for further development, in which he’s projected to become a permanent midfielder, or at least wingman. His elimination final for the Bushrangers was his best effort of the year, playing as a goal-kicking, high accumulating wingman who offered drive and an attacking nature blended with supreme TWO - WAY RUNNING ( Horse all over it ).

Is it another Lockyer though , depends what position I guess . Seems to be developing into a mid ( not a bad size mid if capable )

two-way running you say.... It looked reasonable in the video I saw but didn't realise it was a standout

I'm fully on board now, hope we call him out.

Lazar Goz

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Phil Heath
hey guys havent posted in a while, just wondering is we will be taking anyone with our pick #79 seeing as though after we select the 3 academy players we will still need one more spot filled up

hey guys havent posted in a while, just wondering is we will be taking anyone with our pick #79 seeing as though after we select the 3 academy players we will still need one more spot filled up
We have one live pick, pick #37. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back