Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

P1020671_zpscd5dca11.jpg

I wonder why? Went on the ground post-game Saturday and the turf was thick and lush
I guess it's probably due to them hosting the Cricket World Cup final next year among other sporting events there, but its been almost a decade since the last redevelopment of the turf.

Eventually replacing patches won't keep up with ageing grass. 8 years of heavy workload, it's time to start afresh.

I really think my club (Port) need to play at least 5 matches here for 2015, as we need to get used to the ground for finals time (at the very least the Grand Final is going to be played at the MCG no matter where we finish on the ladder).
I hope the AFL gives us the max amount of games in Melbourne at the MCG rather than the Docklands or such.

It was obvious in the prelim this year that we didn't understand the swirling breeze due to lack of experience at the MCG most likely.

I really think my club (Port) need to play at least 5 matches here for 2015, as we need to get used to the ground for finals time (at the very least the Grand Final is going to be played at the MCG no matter where we finish on the ladder).
I hope the AFL gives us the max amount of games in Melbourne at the MCG rather than the Docklands or such.

It was obvious in the prelim this year that we didn't understand the swirling breeze due to lack of experience at the MCG most likely.
Around rolls finals 2015.
All 4 week 1 finals are in Melbourne, as the lowest drawing team, Port play at Docklands.

Nek Minnut: "We played 5 games at the MCG this year and only 2 at Etihad, why do we have to play North here with no acclimatisation to the ground? Totally unfair!"

Take what you take and don't bitch about the fixture.

Around rolls finals 2015.
All 4 week 1 finals are in Melbourne, as the lowest drawing team, Port play at Docklands.

Nek Minnut: "We played 5 games at the MCG this year and only 2 at Etihad, why do we have to play North here with no acclimatisation to the ground? Totally unfair!"

Take what you take and don't bitch about the fixture.
That's a bit far fetched... I think if we don't get a home game in the finals then we just accept to play wherever.
All I was saying is that considering we are a chance at the flag next year, that it would be beneficial to get more games at the MCG next year.
Last time I checked Grand Finals are all played at the MCG and not Docklands!

That's all I was saying, I was not "bitching about the fixture" as you put it.... how about you worry about your club actually getting a coach for next year as I doubt you'll need to worry about playing finals, lol

That's all I was saying, I was not "bitching about the fixture" as you put it.... how about you worry about your club actually getting a coach for next year as I doubt you'll need to worry about playing finals, lol
We have a coach
Maybe you should look at filling the vacancy in your box with the recent defection.....
And who knows with this game.

Just look at around 2007.
Geelong misses finals in 06, Wins it all in 07.
Port gets to the GF in 07, crashes and burns in 08.
Things can change in just the 1 offseason.

You never know with this sport. Everyone deserves equal opportunity to play at the MCG. Not just give it to a few teams who should be good.

Given every non-Vic team plays, what, 4 or 5 matches in Victoria each year, they should all get a minimum 2 games at the MCG.
The way the fixture goes though, if you get drawn to play Geelong, Essendon, WB, St Kilda and Hawthorn, you'll likely only get 1 at the G, 2 at ES and one at Simonds. Hawthorn could be at Launceston too. Perhaps your club requested Coll at home, got Melb in Alice/Darwin, etc etc.
Shall we "fix" the fixture even further to ensure that you play at least 2 MCG tenants every year? Put in a request like requesting Coll at home.
If we had a single-round-robin competition, where you play half the teams at home and half away, there'd still be the chance of this happening.
Guess what?
Back in the day when only 1 or 2 clubs played at the MCG, even Hawthorn only played there once or twice a year before the Grand Final!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice idea, although I also think three tiers of membership is good along with increasing numbers. However if MCC members (me) are now sharing the facilities with more people (potentially riff raff!) will our annual fees be lowered?
It is a good idea. I have been on the waiting list for a year and am glad I won't have to wait 17 more.

Don't know about the annual fees.

It is a good idea. I have been on the waiting list for a year and am glad I won't have to wait 17 more.

Don't know about the annual fees.
In years that I was studying full time but still an adult restricted they are very expensive. This year is probably the first in a while though that I won't have got good value out of them as I've moved to the country and can't get to as many games as I used to. In terms of the price coming down, part of a reason I love the MCC is for events like Boxing Day test, which will sell out, if I'm now competing with more people for that seat, I potentially won't get one, so why should I continue to pay the same amount that I was before? If they increase members without decreasing fees it's simply a cash grab in my mind.

Nice idea, although I also think three tiers of membership is good along with increasing numbers. However if MCC members (me) are now sharing the facilities with more people (potentially riff raff!) will our annual fees be lowered?
Got to keep the riff raff out!

I just think all 1st to 5th year members should be limited to say 0-2 guest passes per event, then just increase the % of those members.

Got to keep the riff raff out!

I just think all 1st to 5th year members should be limited to say 0-2 guest passes per event, then just increase the % of those members.
Yeah I like that. Potentially have bookings for reserved seats and visitors passes staggered so full members (not me yet) have premium access to all events, not just the Grand Final.

Does anybody have any idea of the long term plan for the MCG?
Will it have a larger capacity ?
Surely it will always have a capacity over 100000?
what will it look like in 50 years time?
Will it still be 2 main stands getting replaced one after the other ?

I haven’t any talk of the future of the MCG anywhere and it really interests me!

I really also wish the new stand had the extra teir of seating in front of the corporate boxes also!
the extra teir of seating on the Great Southern stand gives the impression of wow! and always wondered why it was completed all the way around!

That's just not going to happen I'm sorry.

How do you guys find viewing at the G during rectangular sports such as soccer and rugby . I'll probably be heading there next year to watch Real Madrid play and also watch the state of origin . But i hear its usually quite bad for viewing rectangular sports .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back