Opinion Poll - Who do we select with Pick 10 in the 2014 AFL National Draft?

Who do we select with Pick 10 in the National Draft 2014?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone but Durdin.

Reminds me of James Sellar.

Ok then, I went Goddard but he maybe out of reach, so how come this guy who was ranked as high as P5, and our resident geniuses had him well in front in our poll, could be concluded now as mere tripe?
Surely not! I doubt it.

Last edited:
Some posters are getting a bit antsy, just remember 1 more sleep.
What is even more amusing is people are getting antsy over something they have no control over (unless there is something someone wants to tell us).

While I may find myself a bit disappointed with some of the names that might be called out (I'm looking at you Jordan De Goey :straining:) at the end of the day I'll back in the professionals who have spent hours upon hours watching these guys live and on tape, who have gone out and spoken to these kids personally aswell as their parents and their coaches and know what type of players Scott and co are looking for.

What is even more amusing is people are getting antsy over something they have no control over (unless there is something someone wants to tell us).

While I may find myself a bit disappointed with some of the names that might be called out (I'm looking at you Jordan De Goey :straining:) at the end of the day I'll back in the professionals who have spent hours upon hours watching these guys live and on tape, who have gone out and spoken to these kids personally aswell as their parents and their coaches and know what type of players Scott and co are looking for.

Us fans always get rilled up by things that we have no control over. In the end all football is 44 guys chasing a ball for a couple of hours. I like to think that all of the passion of the supporters adds to it even if it manifests in a tangential way like a 40 page dissuasion on a specific draft choice.

I wouldn't place much stock in Twomey's PD (who I think is an ordinary 'expert' at the best of times) as I can't see GC taking Wright, he may well go before us but it will be to GWS, not GC, if so.
Hmmmm, I don't know how I should take this statement considering he has selected Durdin at #10 (which I have as well) and later on went on to suggest we might have some interest in another kid I like in Billy Evans.

I might take your slagging off of Twomey as a slight on myself P_O if I was the sort to take things to heart. :D

Funnily enough he also did something I think is possible having the Saints pick McCartin with their #1 selection.

I think they might be able to nab someone like Blakely with their next pick giving them a power forward AND an inside, clearance mid.

As you know, I consider Blakely to be just as capable as Brayshaw so if I was a Saints fan I'd be pumped with that.

I know passing over Petracca could cause the Saints a lot of blowback as he is the best mid in the draft but you don't get another crack at a McCartin type player at 20 or 21.

Looking forward to tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Look at Ahern NSFB
Bit SJ like.

Then look at Garlett to see who we could have 'possibly' got at 21. :(
As I've said elsewhere a few weeks ago. He'd have the best foot skills at the club.
Left and right foot.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine
He looks like a highly skilled, goal kicking midfielder.

Good to see him kick the goal from the pocket with a drop punt. Shows good technique, looks a tidy player.

Has the draft started yet:drunk:....

I have changed my mind too many times now on who we should pick and I have resigned myself to the fact that I have no f***in idea who we will pick.

Still think we should go tall Defender with the amount of tall talent available early in this draft (next years draft seems midfielder heavy so we should be able to pick up a quality mid then)

Think I am leaning towards Lever. Knee injury aside, I think he is the pick of the KPDs.
Looks a talent. Can shutdown on his opponent and can be dangerous on the rebound (same style of play as Scarlett). Even though he may lack the size to play as the number one key defender (Not saying he won't or can't) I still believe he would be the perfect replacement for Mackie, playing as an attacking defender who sets up from defense as well as being able to play on talls and smalls.
His leadership shouldn't be underrated as well. Captaining Metro in an U18's game last year as an underager says a lot about his leadership qualities and personality.

I like Goddard as a smooth moving Key Defender who has the size and strength to be able to play on the big Key Forwards and would be a perfect Lonergan replacement. Unfortunately word is GWS are pretty keen on him so he may be gone by then.

We have been linked to Peter Wright of late and he definitely looks like he has massive upside. Guys his size with his abilities don't come around often and it's hard to tell if he's too good an option to pass up should he get to us or if it's a bit of a risk drafting a ruck with our first pick. A young ruck is a high priority so maybe we will crazy not to grab him....just can't make up my mind on him yet.

Even though I think we should go KPD I certainly wouldn't be opposed to De Goey. Definitely has a lot of Bartel about him and a big body, strong marking, aggressive mid would go down a treat. Collingwood look likely to snap him up at 5 and if not GWS are in the frame. If Laverde slips past Collingwood and GWS he would also be hard to look past.

Pick 10 will get as a quality young player either way so I'm looking forward to tomorrow night to see who will be heading down the highway to join the Cats

Late mail is that we are into Marchbank at 10.

I would place him behind Lever, Durdin, Goddard as key defenders and he is also considered a third tall.

If true - I don't think it will justify our draft pick/Adelaide trade as Marchbank was likley to fall to as far as Carlton at 19!

Late mail is that we are into Marchbank at 10.

I would place him behind Lever, Durdin, Goddard as key defenders and he is also considered a third tall.

If true - I don't think it will justify our draft pick/Adelaide trade as Marchbank was likley to fall to as far as Carlton at 19!

I like Marchbank but he is undersized to play true KP in the AFL. Also tested slow for speed at the Combine. I can't imagine we would take him at 10 having traded to get there. Wouldn't make sense. I wouldn't read too much into this rumour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too.

But there's no harm in preparing myself for another deflating surprise.
Interestingly I was thinking the exact same thing this morning re. Marchbank. Picking him up at 10 when he'd be there at 14 seems like the kind of thing we'd do.. Unless he's rated more highly by recruiters than by the media which is entirely possible.

Brett Anderson's last Mock Draft has us with:

10. Geelong: Sam DURDIN - West Adelaide | 6/6/96 | H: 198cm | W: 88kg
Sam is from our Riverland country zone and comes from a small town before relocating in Adelaide three years ago. Has played senior footy for us and will probably end up being a key defender because he’s got great hands and is a very good defensive mark. Won the best player award in the Under 18 Grand Final this year and has great potential is a very exciting prospect. – West Adelaide football manager Andrew Marks
In the mix: Peter Wright, Hugh Goddard

http://www.sen.com.au/news/2014-afl-mock-draft-40

Brett Anderson's last Mock Draft has us with:

10. Geelong: Sam DURDIN - West Adelaide | 6/6/96 | H: 198cm | W: 88kg
Sam is from our Riverland country zone and comes from a small town before relocating in Adelaide three years ago. Has played senior footy for us and will probably end up being a key defender because he’s got great hands and is a very good defensive mark. Won the best player award in the Under 18 Grand Final this year and has great potential is a very exciting prospect. – West Adelaide football manager Andrew Marks
In the mix: Peter Wright, Hugh Goddard

http://www.sen.com.au/news/2014-afl-mock-draft-40

That is almost the perfect draft for me.

Anyone? Gee you must not rate him. Three out of four phantom have us taking him now.

Anyone should know he's a top prospect, you're not considered a P5 if it's not warranted with what's known these days.
They know everything about these kids and he's the SA standout.

Last edited:
That is almost the perfect draft for me.
Agree. I'd lean to Lever over Durdin but apart from that, where do we sign!?
Durdin the quality KPD we need, inside mid Gore a good get at 47, would love to snag Jackson Nelson, think he will be a decent player & Butler at 59 I'd be OK with. McGrath would be the other I'd fancy with a late pick.

Agree. I'd lean to Lever over Durdin but apart from that, where do we sign!?
Durdin the quality KPD we need, inside mid Gore a good get at 47, would love to snag Jackson Nelson, think he will be a decent player & Butler at 59 I'd be OK with. McGrath would be the other I'd fancy with a late pick.

I have similar thoughts. Like the look of McGrath too.

Anyone should know he's a top prospect, you're not considered a P5 if it's not warranted with what's known these days.
They know everything about these kids and he's the SA standout.

Height , matched with skill and athleticism , I thing we would have trouble disputing the wisdom of his addition....but he is not super star. (yet)

I think the issue is we have been deprived of high end picks for so long. Being so good onfield has meant us being like a retiree with a metal detector looking for Gold in an old panned out area , scrapping upmthe dregs after the big boys have already been thru.

And we have done well at it overall ...sure we can debate we like D rather than L for instance but you and I know that generally we have done alright with pickings we have had. But now this year we get to 10 and we start tasting elite talent... the issue is this year the top 20 or more are very even ...probably more even than in the history of the draft. I cant remember a draft when so many player have dipped and bounced like this year pre draft. It may or may not be a great year to have 1,2 or 3 (is it ever a bad year?) but I have heard it said that 4 or 5 players from last years draft would be P1 this year.

And so it is with Durdin , go back have a look at the preblurb before the u18's , and as you say , they were linking him to 5ish . I have also heard it said that both Durdin and Goddard rating varies from club to club ( a bit like on this board) from being a very early pick to much, much later. How an expert could rate either of them much later than 20 I dont know but I guess bagains get to 20-30 each year and thats why. If anything this year seems a good year to have a few extra picks in the top 30 , so Im sure we will all watch who goes at 15 and 21 as both pick were ours originally.

To me Durdin has the look a good Key back , a bit more attacking than Goddard but thats not so bad. Scarlett was a pretty attacking FB as well. IF and lets not forget its an IF , we get him I expect him to be a good pick for us. It would set us up to not have to worry about talls for the percievebale future , and considering next year is speculated as a mid feilders draft may not be so bad.

Last edited:
Interesting that a couple are now saying GWS may take Marchbank instead of Goddard, so he may be on the table for our pick after all.

Well firstly only Luenberger, McEvoy Kruezer were top 10 in the last decade, and are hardly superstars for injury or another. The others were either before a decade ago, Gorrange hasnt done anything and Zach Smith wasn't in the draft. The better rucks in the AFL were late or rookie picks, except Natanui.

Secondly, grabbing a key defender isn't stretching. They are ranked around our pick and Lever would've been top 3 if it wasn't for injury.

If we wait another year, Lonergan will retire and we will be left with a zero gamer and probably a 5 -10 gamer (Kolo). We will leak goals like a running tap. Meanwhile Wright will be stalling in the VFL behind Vardy, Stanley, Hawkins, Clark, Blicavs, Kersten, and maybe Simpson (if around), not to mention Walker.

Just my opinion too, I just think Wright will not solve anything until 5+ years (when he may or may not make it) whilst we have glaring holes on our list widen when they shouldnt be. I think it would be a poor list management decision. But it will be interesting to see what Wells does.

Been trying to tell him this for days, won't listen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back