Sando's Sacking Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Blight - 2 flags
2. Cornes - competitive from the start
3. Craig - revolutionised game til finals
4. Ayres - hardened up the side
5. Sanderson - enough said
6. Shaw - terrible

The more I think about it, the less I rate blight. The Modra mistake and leaving after 1 bad year creep up on his two flags as time goes by.

The more I think about it, the less I rate blight. The Modra mistake and leaving after 1 bad year creep up on his two flags as time goes by.
Heard Jars speak at the races on Saturday and he is no fan of Blight. Said he can understand being cut but wasnt told by Blight, hasn't spoken to him since.

Heard Jars speak at the races on Saturday and he is no fan of Blight. Said he can understand being cut but wasnt told by Blight, hasn't spoken to him since.

I don't think it bothers Blighty.

I don't think it was the bad year that made him leave. I have heard people say that he didn't even want to really come back in 98. Once he won the 1st Premiership he'd crossed that off his bucket list and didn't really want to go through the hassle again. Their performance in 99 gave him enough cover to leave and retire, but then the Saints came calling with their million dollar offer a few years later.

2 flags in 3 years not good enough for you?

Sure I hated mods leaving to, but that is a Damn good record!

Disastrous for the club. On one hand, I have 2 premierships, on the other I have a continued good relationship with Jars (bone, tony mcG, ando). What should I do? Do I look after the incumbent power base or do I chase premierships? Not sure he made the right call. Premierships and the jubilation is ok, but not if it upsets some people.

Disastrous for the club. On one hand, I have 2 premierships, on the other I have a continued good relationship with Jars (bone, tony mcG, ando). What should I do? Do I look after the incumbent power base or do I chase premierships? Not sure he made the right call. Premierships and the jubilation is ok, but not if it upsets some people.

It's a business. Cut throat, sadly.

Either the club ignored feedback in 2013, or they didn't have good feedback systems in place, or the issues suddenly arose in 2014. I'm thinking it was feedback systems.
We also had the memory of the preliminary final finish in 2012 plus the Tippettgate/Walker injury 2013. Clouded our judgment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how Jars looks back on his 'refusing to play' theatrics?

That ended his career, not Blight.

I wonder how Jars looks back on his 'refusing to play' theatrics?

That ended his career, not Blight.
He lead a player a revolt against Shaw. Thing was, his reasoning was right. Perhaps his tactics were wrong.

Some of the other leaders couldn't care less. They both made a big song and a dance about not playing the next year. Yet As I understood it before Jarmans revolt, Mcdermott was retiring, his body was no longer up to the pace. I also understand that that Blight gave Mcguiness an ultimatum he couldn't meet. His business or his football career.

Jarman was trouble before Blighty got there and Blighty had foresight to get the club to cut on arrival.
Modra like jars wanted to be a individual with own rules and Blighty again made right decision for everyone to understand how teams win premierships.

It had to happen, if Trigg was still in the hot seat sando would still be there. finally our club has come of age and now this new era will be a better one. Fagan, Roo and Walsh will do the club wonders. Now we just have to get rid of Smart and the club will be really on the right track.
Sando looked way out of his depth sitting in that coaches box, the look on his face, looked like a lost school boy and looked so stressed and worried.
we have the talent in our squad to be a side that should have finished 5th-8th and pushed for a top 4 spot. just poorly coached. we easily should have won 15 games this year. Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, West coast, Richmond and North. We started favorites in all those games.

I'd say the list should read...

1. Blight
2. Craig
3. Cornes
4. Shaw
5. Sanderson
6. Ayres

The only reason I'd rate Shaw ahead of Sanderson is because I feel that even though he wasn't a great coach, he did bring in some top level talent and left the club in a stronger position than when he came in. With Sanderson I feel we sort of broke even and just treaded water. We we're playing very poorly under Craig in 2010/11 so it'd take a brave person to say we actually wen't backwards under Sando. We just didn't really go forward either. Ayres rates last because he actually hurt the club with his shitty recruitment policy.
In Shaws defence he didnt have Rehn for the two years he coached and yes, he recruited very well!

What was Ayres recruiting policy? i cant remember.

7. Mark Bickley
Harsh.

We were fun to watch in his brief stint. Loved that forward line of Tex, Tippett and Gunston. Danger and VB looked much better with more time in the midfield and we even managed to get something for Armstrong. He also tried Mckernan in defence, which failed but at least was an attempt to think outside the square.

Brodie Martin on Vickery was pretty bad though.

I didn't read it as Sando "sooking" about players being less tough. It seemed to me to be (finally) an admission that he had significantly erred in his choice of how to communicate with players.

From everything we've heard, he was everyone's best mate throughout the week, but very rarely actually sat down and spoke with the players as a coach. When he did he just gave them "my way or the highway" directives.

He's now saying that this was a mistake, not that everyone else was too pissweak to accept it. The question now is whether or not it was pointed out to him in the three years he was our coach or not. Are the people who are there to give him feedback incompetent? Or did he simply not know how to accept the feedback or implement the changes necessary?

Lucky for Blighty. I've been wishing Jars would stop talking to us for years.

I didn't read it as Sando "sooking" about players being less tough. It seemed to me to be (finally) an admission that he had significantly erred in his choice of how to communicate with players.

Sanderson is generally well spoken in the media and usually doesn't make excuses for himself. This is why I'm disappointed with his recent interview. He mentioned that old-fashioned, tough as nails coaches have gone by the way side and you need to be able to communicate more with your players, rather than just barking orders. While this is probably true, I don't like the implication that our players aren't tough enough to handle his coaching style. I also think it's laughable he would even consider himself a tough coach. Nothing I saw in his three years at the club suggested this to be true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back