List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was like that at first to.

Watch the highlights on YouTube mate. Also think long term, we would have to sell the farm like the dogs did including giving up pick 1ish in next years draft and millions to bring one in. Also the next two drafts are full of mids.

I would prefer Petracca. I don't know much about either player, but is Paddy fast and agile, or a dead eye dick?

My biggest worry is this rubbish about personality. If our recruiters made their decision based on who was more down to earth, they will be go down in history as the most amateurish fools in Saints history, against stiff competition.

Also I am concerned that we are ignoring our 'best available' strategy that ensured that we did not trade pick one.

I have The Fear. The fear that once again St Kilda will kiss another golden chance goodbye. This is what people mean when they talk about our culture.

Please get it right Trout, don't screw it up.
So by pick McCartin instead of Petracca St.kilda have kissed a golden opportunity goodbye?
Since when does 1 player make the difference? Especially a player who's never played an AFL game.
This is starting to get ridiculous.

Had my heart set on Petracca for a while now... Here's hoping McCartin is the next Riewoldt!
You might want to abandon hope then...

Might be the next G-Train though...

You might want to abandon hope then...

Might be the next G-Train though...

No, into the future there will be comparisons of potential draftees who it is stated that they "play like McCartin..." :cool:

Where has McCartin now going Pick 1 come from? Seems to be an amazing turnaround in the last 24 hours by the media and phantom drafters. Maybe something happened at Schoolies? Dam them for holding the draft on the Gold Coast :)

Where has McCartin now going Pick 1 come from? Seems to be an amazing turnaround in the last 24 hours by the media and phantom drafters. Maybe something happened at Schoolies? Dam them for holding the draft on the Gold Coast :)

Apparently Petracca told someone to F off for commenting they had the same shoes. He also farts in interviews and elevators.

For anyone worried about McCartin's sometimes shaky goal kicking let's take a breath.

Riewoldt's goal kicking was great early days but he dropped away after the hamstring injury. Understandable that he would change his technique, even sub consciously, because of such a major injury.

His goal kicking this year however was fantastic. He shortened his run up and totally changed the mechanics of his kicking action.

The story supposedly goes that Lindsay Gilbee (one of the best kicks in recent times) was watching players take their set shots. He pulls Roo aside for some tips and over the preseason Roo is a dead eye dick again.

If Gilbee is still with us for 2015 then that's great but at worst Riewoldt himself can pass on these tips to Paddy and help straighten him up a little more.

Overall the best player to compare Paddy to is Tex Walker. Same size, same playing style, same aggression.

The major difference is that McCartin may still have the capacity to grow the magical inch that everyone seems to be freaking out over.

Imagine if he has a Goddard like growth spurt in 3 years time! :eek:

Someone made the Lance Whitnall comparison. That got me worried.
I think it was Defacto (apologies if not), and with respect, it's a ridiculous comparison.

Whitnall had the turning circle of a road train and struggled with his weight because he was lazy.

That being said, has was still an All-Australian (2000) and B&F winner (2006) and kicked 348 goals in 218 games. He was no mug.

Paddy is much more like Fevola in that he is quite quick over a burst, and unlike either is extremely adept when the ball hits the deck. Yes, I think he's too short, but he will be a very very good player when he's the finished article.

I think he looks particularly out of condition in the Champs games partially because of the cut of the guernseys; they were just shocking.

628440-827bda18-1b72-11e4-96c6-79c9953f9ece.jpg

He looks fine there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was Defacto (apologies if not), and with respect, it's a ridiculous comparison.

Whitnall had the turning circle of a road train and struggled with his weight because he was lazy.

That being said, has was still an All-Australian (2000) and B&F winner (2006) and kicked 348 goals in 218 games. He was no mug.

Paddy is much more like Fevola in that he is quite quite over a burst, and unlike either is extremely adept when the ball hits the deck. Yes, I think he's too short, but he will be a very very good player when he's the finished article.

I think he looks particularly out of condition in the Champs games partially because of the cut of the guernseys; they were just shocking.

628440-827bda18-1b72-11e4-96c6-79c9953f9ece.jpg

He looks fine there.

Dark shirts make you look slimmer. #wifetoldmeso

Check him in a white shirt. #lancemccarrtin

I feel slightly better about mccartin this morning. But I want petracca so badly.

Is there hope mccartin will become more agile and less one dimensional? More a question for Rahul here.... With mccartin as he stands right now, does he have the tools to contribute straight away? And does he contribute other ways when he doesn't hit the score board?

I guess I'm worried that he will be a past his prime injury riddled 2013-14 Jon brown. Once the ball hit the deck he was out of the conteSt.

I guess I'm worried that he will be a past his prime injury riddled 2013-14 Jon brown. Once the ball hit the deck he was out of the conteSt.
Absolutely not. He's magnificent below his knees.

And this obsession with 'versatility' is as ridiculous as my irrational issue with KPPs being 195cm-plus; Jack Watts is versatile. Matthew Lloyd was not... Who would you take?

Last edited:
I can't say I'm an expert on the draft, but what worries me about McCartin is that 1. He's not overly tall and 2. He isn't extremely agile. I think to be a gun you need to be one of these things, if not both.

Feel free to change my mind though. Might just needy spirits lifted.

I can't say I'm an expert on the draft, but what worries me about McCartin is that 1. He's not overly tall and 2. He isn't extremely agile. I think to be a gun you need to be one of these things, if not both.

Feel free to change my mind though. Might just needy spirits lifted.
He's a good bloke though.

I love how people are speaking as though Petracca has already played 5 years of AFL footy & is a bonafide superstar already, while also speaking as though McCartin is just the tall kid in grade 5 lunchtime footy that kids only pick because he's big & tall & they can plonk him at full forward to kick some goals....

Both players are guns... I like Petracca as much as everyone else, but i dont get the seemingly hostile attitudes aimed at Pat McCartin

So are we still taking a fat diabetic one dimensional player over a gun midfielder/forward whom almost everyone in has said is the best player in the draft?

Inspirational.
As opposed to the kid who may need a hip replacement next year cos he's a fat 186cm & 95kg+ nugget..... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back