Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

and Baseball style, didn't need the players permission to trade them.

No, that part I do not like, we do not live in a totalitarian society ... thankfully.

I'm not saying I want it. Just for it to work. I hate the thought of it.

I believe it should just be draft picks that could be traded on the day of the draft. This would include picks from future drafts.

If we took Petracca with 2 GWS could with live trading, offer us 4 and 7. The issue though is that our recruiting staff probably haven't prepared for the situation where they have picks 4 and 7, and aren't going to make a snap judgment to trade Petracca and then use 4 and 7 without the proper research (unless GWS had told them well ahead of time). Same goes for trading of future picks, but with even more uncertainty.

If we took Petracca with 2 GWS could with live trading, offer us 4 and 7. The issue though is that our recruiting staff probably haven't prepared for the situation where they have picks 4 and 7, and aren't going to make a snap judgment to trade Petracca and then use 4 and 7 without the proper research (unless GWS had told them well ahead of time). Same goes for trading of future picks, but with even more uncertainty.
If the system was in play then all clubs would be prepared for all scenarios well in advance.

P4&7 would be easy in any event. Clubs know and have interviewed the top X picks. It's picks +35 that would get tough!!

live trading would make the draft so much better. GWS would jump at the chance to get pettrecca and melb would get better with 2 more top 7 picks....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could understand one or maybe 2 players not coming on but everyone of there early picks have failed! Like I said most clubs would have selected those players around those picks. To me that's there develpment program not so much there recruiting.

This shows me that the wrong players were picked ( and probably the system mis-ratedthe players ). Nothing new about this as clubs still stuff first round picks - Clubs like Sydney/Hawthorn/Collingwood who allegedly have excellent development systems have had their shares of misses - Recruiting is an inexact science.

Live trading would be a great initiative. Plus I like the idea of future first round picks being allowed to be traded.

I like it too but how does that fit in with father-son picks in the following year. You can't trade out of a future draft to avoid paying within the required round next year. Although I suppose that could be part of the equation but it doesn't make sense to me.

I like it too but how does that fit in with father-son picks in the following year. You can't trade out of a future draft to avoid paying within the required round next year. Although I suppose that could be part of the equation but it doesn't make sense to me.
Excellent point!

I reckon that makes his Phantom Draft of Laverde at pick 14 even more bemusing. I know he may have more info through his insider contacts, but the last I heard West Coast were very keen on him if he was still available.

You never know I guess he has abit of Atley about him. In 2010 draft Essedon was going to take him and even prematurely released a video of their recruiter doing an interview on him then all of a sudden Heppell slides and he goes 9 places lower at 17

Top shelf mids a far safer prospect than a top shelf KPF prospect too. Especially one that has diabetes. Petracca is not your dime a dozen midfield talent. Best available goes pick 1. Petracca IMO is best available.

Just my opinion. I am sure the Saints team know a s**t ton more than I do.
We took mids in last years draft and apparently next years draft is full of mids too.
Would rather Petracca, but can definitely see why the club are taking paddy.

Fremantle FC has interviewed, visited and graded eighty players for this draft.

They are quite prepared.

McCartin at number one - Will be the best forward in this draft and could prove to be the best player. A bold move by the Saints.

Agree, I think its the correct move for them.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how James Frawley = Christian Petracca.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back