No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a ridiculous premise for the players to take a deal. Hird would walk if he knew the players were about to accept penalties and therefore be branded cheats for the rest of their lives. It would be beyond stupid, if I was a player's parent/agent I would be livid. This then opens up the club to further litigation. At the moment the players seem unananimous that they will fight the charges based on the summary of evidence so far presented.
Put yourself in the player's shoes and I would tell the club and the AFL to go and get farked.

Respect Ivan as a poster but think he is well off the mark with his post - Deals would have been on the table from the day EFC's and Hird's case was thrown out of the Federal Court - People are forgetting that ASADA and the AFL must jointly offer a deal - The players have no reason to accept a deal because of ASADA's weak case which will surely fail at the anti-doping tribunal - The AFL have no reason to accept any deal/plea bargain from ASADA - People are forgetting that ASADA and the AFL are avowed enemies.

Bill Jennings is the third candidate crossed off my list as well as Catherine Lio and Paul Cousins. Single issue candidates are a big fail in my eyes.

Last edited:
Respect Ivan as a poster but think he is well off the mark with his post - Deals would have been on the table from the day EFC's and Hird's case was thrown out of the Federal Court - People are forgetting that ASADA and the AFL must jointly offer a deal - The players have no reason to accept a deal because of ASADA's weak case which will surely fail at the anti-doping tribunal - The AFL have no reason to accept any deal/plea bargain from ASADA - People are gorgetting that ASADA and the AFL are avowed enemies.

Bill Jennings is the third candidate rossed off my list as well as Catherine Lio and Paul Cousins. Single issue candidates are a big fail in my eyes.

Seems to be the way we elect governments in this country.

I've felt for a while that ASADA will drag their feet to try and force players to take deals.. least they should suffer next season under this cloud again..

The key is whether the AFL allow this.. or whether they continue with the tribunals.. either ASADA fronts up or they * off..

I can see players taking NRL style deals though.. makes me sick.. but I can see the logic.. the figures being rumoured are 2 weeks.. and they are allowed to resume training 1 month before the suspension ends. So essentially they are 'away' from the club Jan-Feb and then back into training March.. Playing end of April.

The whole thing has stunk for a while.. and the stench is just getting worse and worse..

*I would find it hard to believe the club would 'push' sanctions.. opens them up to a host of legal/ethical issues down the track.. so I find it highly unlikely that the club would see this as the best case scenario.

I've felt for a while that ASADA will drag their feet to try and force players to take deals.. least they should suffer next season under this cloud again..

The key is whether the AFL allow this.. or whether they continue with the tribunals.. either ASADA fronts up or they * off..

I can see players taking NRL style deals though.. makes me sick.. but I can see the logic.. the figures being rumoured are 2 weeks.. and they are allowed to resume training 1 month before the suspension ends. So essentially they are 'away' from the club Jan-Feb and then back into training March.. Playing end of April.

The whole thing has stunk for a while.. and the stench is just getting worse and worse..

*I would find it hard to believe the club would 'push' sanctions.. opens them up to a host of legal/ethical issues down the track.. so I find it highly unlikely that the club would see this as the best case scenario.
Where would this put Hird in your opinion Fines?

It's time for the club to stand united. ASADA drag their feet, good on them. It changes nothing with respect to the case, the evidence, the outcome.

I wish the greater public could see this for what it is. My issue is the AFL are playing along as it's their ticket to get rid of Hird should the players decide to end this by taking a suspension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the players take a deal, why should James hird be sacked???
NRL players took the deal, their coach has served his suspension and is now back at the helm.
Yet there is no media outlet asking for him to be sacked.

If the players take a deal, why should James hird be sacked???
NRL players took the deal, their coach has served his suspension and is now back at the helm.
Yet there is no media outlet asking for him to be sacked.

Players getting suspended (even voluntarily) - "it's just not a good look" and proves the supplement program was systematic team doping and was masterminded by one JA Hird.

Hird said he'd take full responsibility.

Hird said he'd step down if any player was suspended.

Caro & Barro would be vindicated and clambering to the top of the highest soapbox imaginable.

NO DEAL!

The way ASADA has manipulated the timeline on this "investigation/prosecution" is downright sickening. To think a model litigant would leverage provisional suspensions by dragging out the tribunal process after over 18 months of preparation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish the greater public could see this for what it is. My issue is the AFL are playing along as it's their ticket to get rid of Hird should the players decide to end this by taking a suspension.
I'm not so convinced the AFL are playing along - I would have thought that they'd be wanting this saga to end ASAP, and the way for that to happen is to have the tribunal hearings convened ASAP, clear the players and move on.

The only way I could see the AFL caring more about getting rid of Hird than ending the saga ASAP would be if this has become a personal vendetta for Gill / Clothier / et al.

I'm not so convinced the AFL are playing along - I would have thought that they'd be wanting this saga to end ASAP, and the way for that to happen is to have the tribunal hearings convened ASAP, clear the players and move on.

The only way I could see the AFL caring more about getting rid of Hird than ending the saga ASAP would be if this has become a personal vendetta for Gill / Clothier / et al.

I think the AFL are seeing how far they can push this. They don't want next season impacted by this, but there's a chance they can "get their man" so they are rolling for now.

Further to this, I would have thought it would be in McLachlan and Clothier's interest to ensure Hird stays at Essendon. The minute Hird leaves the employ of the club and is no longer under control of the AFL, brings a situation where there is nothing stopping Hird taking legal action against the AFL and issuing subpoenas to Demetriou, McLachlan and Clothier. We have seen the lengths they will go to in avoiding taking the stand in a proper court under oath.

Either force Hird out or don't. Stop using the players, this is their livelihood and not a game. Fact is the AFL had the chance to force Hird out indefinitely but they instead chose to suspend him.

The AFL would never have tried to immediately cut the cord on Hird's coaching career as Hird would have taken it straight to the Supreme Court and would have all the AFL execs and commissioners on the stand.

What the AFL want is to tarnish and discredit Hird to the point where his position becomes untenable.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/essendon/news/2014-11-26/little-responds-to-article-in-the-age

In response to an article written by Caroline Wilson in The Age newspaper today, Essendon Chairman Paul Little has made the following statement.

“The article suggests the EFC paid $25,000 towards Mark Thompson’s AFL fine, when the Club had consistently said it would not pay the fine,” Little said

“This assertion is wrong. The truth is that the EFC contributed nothing towards Mark’s $30,000 fine."

“The article also suggests Mark Thompson was sacked. This assertion is also wrong. The club and Mark held many discussions about a role next year but were unable to reach a position that would satisfy both parties.”

“We were very clear that any newly created role needed to have purpose for Mark and add meaningful value to our football club. Our discussions with Mark were held professionally and respectfully”

“Mark is a much loved and respected Essendon person. He will always be welcome at the Essendon Football Club."

Hope it;s ok to lift stuff from Francis's posts on BB - I hadn't heard of this before, has got me scratching my chin...

AFL Medical Officer, Dr Peter Harcourt

On 19 October 2011 (the first day of 2012 pre-season training), Dr Bruce Reid phoned the AFL’s medical officer, Dr Peter Harcourt, and told him that Dean Robinson had given the Essendon players a substance called Tribulus without his permission. Dr Reid was not only concerned that he had been marginalised but that Tribulus was a WADA prohibited substance. Marginalising Dr Reid was a possible breach of the AFL’s Anti-Doping Code, and Dr Harcourt was required to report the possible breach immediately. Clause 4.6 of the AFL’s anti-doping code says: “Where reasonable and as soon as the AFL becomes aware that apossible [my emphasis] Anti-Doping Rule Violation may have occurred, the AFL will immediately advise ASADA of the possible violation. The AFL will provide ASADA with all information pertaining to the possible Anti-Doping Rule Violation.”

Dr Harcourt failed to report the matter to ASADA. Like Clothier’s inertia, if Dr Harcourt had fulfilled his responsibilities, the whole saga may not have occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back