Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Pretty amazing stadium. I've seen the Wallabies and Kangaroos play there a couple of times and the whole experience was fantastic.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
didn't they rebuild the whole stadium as the stands are the same

No, rebuilt 3 sides, refurbished the Western Grandstand which was built in 1994 and the roof is designed to make the ground seem similar on all four sides when the Western side is different to the three 3 sides if looked at closely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang_Park

The stadium is now a 52,500 state of the art all-seater rectangular stadium, a far cry from the former Lang Park oval with two grandstands set back from a perimeter road. The only remaining stand from before the redevelopment is the Western Grandstand. The extension of the facility resulted in the demolition of a number of buildings along Milton Road, including the former Brisbane City Council Trolley-bus depot.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
No, rebuilt 3 sides, refurbished the Western Grandstand which was built in 1994 and the roof is designed to make the ground seem similar on all four sides when the Western side is different to the three 3 sides if looked at closely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang_Park
maybe the base of the original stand,
but the the original lang park never had a triple tier stand

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=110

Suncorp Stadium, traditionally known as Lang Park, is the home of Rugby League in Queensland. A major $280 million redevelopment of the stadium was completed in June 2003 to convert it into a state-of-the-art all-seater stadium. The two year project saw the stadium closed for the duration with all but the main granstand demolished, which was incorporated into the new design.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Pretty amazing stadium. I've seen the Wallabies and Kangaroos play there a couple of times and the whole experience was fantastic.

hello
heading to suncorp for first time ever to watch socceroos v s korea. I will be getting off at roma st station (travelling from the gold coast line).
from what I can see on google maps, its about a 1.3km walk from roma st to stadium - distance no worries, but is it an easy walk? not being familiar with the area (never been there) there looks to be busways and freeways etc, and a few options (on map at least) to get there.

any suggestions? just follow the masses? I assume there will be masses....

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
hello
heading to suncorp for first time ever to watch socceroos v s korea. I will be getting off at roma st station (travelling from the gold coast line).
from what I can see on google maps, its about a 1.3km walk from roma st to stadium - distance no worries, but is it an easy walk? not being familiar with the area (never been there) there looks to be busways and freeways etc, and a few options (on map at least) to get there.

I always get off at Milton, next station up, drops you 200m away from the stadium and there will be masses of people it's one of the most popular for game day

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
hello

Hey man, getting off at Roma Street won't be an issue. For the bigger games, of which I assume the Socceroos game can be included, they close off a route from Roma Street Station all the way to the stadium. You can get off at Roma Street, exit the ticketing gates, and there will be a crowd walking from there to the stadium. The walkway is an easy walk and will lead you to the Caxton Street end, so if you want a few beers beforehand you're in luck!

tl;dr easy walk, no worries

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Went to Brisbane for the first time over the weekend, and while I ended up going with the partner to the ballet instead of the Asian Cup I have to say games at Suncorp really screw up an already muddled mess of a city with road closures. If I was at the game I would boast about its location being so close to the city but my God the people who thought it was a good place for a 50 000 seat stadium must have total disdain for transport.

Went to Brisbane for the first time over the weekend, and while I ended up going with the partner to the ballet instead of the Asian Cup I have to say games at Suncorp really screw up an already muddled mess of a city with road closures. If I was at the game I would boast about its location being so close to the city but my God the people who thought it was a good place for a 50 000 seat stadium must have total disdain for transport.
How was the ballet? I've never been to Suncorp but what's the public transport access to the ground like? How close are the nearest trains or buses??

Back