Would Smith have been AA if Hendo didn't get injured?

Remove this Banner Ad

douglyzia

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think he was earmarked for a midfield role before he was moved to the backlines to cover for Henderson if I'm not mistaken.

Don't think he would have stood out as much in the midfield where most of the AFL's elite talent is concentrated.

The OP makes an interesting point, but Smith is a much, much better player than Hendo will ever be, and certainly has the skill to make it as an AA midfielder given the chance.

I'd prefer Brodie Smith playing the same level of football he played this year on the wing and not getting AA, than this year HBF and getting AA.

Smithers kicking the ball into our forwards instead of out of our backline = boner inducing.

Someone clone him.
Has to have of the most delicious legs in the comp! Surely top 5?

I'd prefer Brodie Smith playing the same level of football he played this year on the wing and not getting AA, than this year HBF and getting AA.

Smithers kicking the ball into our forwards instead of out of our backline = boner inducing.

Someone clone him.

As a left footer. Having one of him on each wing... :rainbow::rainbow::fire::fire:

We've seen nearly nothing of Smith around the stoppages, which he was known for prior to being drafted. Hendo would have to step it up a notch defensively as well as his kicking efficiency to see a full time move for Smith into the midfield. Think he would get lots of attention if he was moved to the wing as he would be the most damaging player on the field. I would like to see how he goes on the ball.

Dangerfield, Smith and Crouch/Thommo in the middle, with Sloane on the wing (loves gut running more than anyone) as well as Douglas.

Still think Danger would get the tag there at the moment so it would be interesting to see how Smith would transition.

We've seen nearly nothing of Smith around the stoppages, which he was known for prior to being drafted. Hendo would have to step it up a notch defensively as well as his kicking efficiency to see a full time move for Smith into the midfield. Think he would get lots of attention if he was moved to the wing as he would be the most damaging player on the field. I would like to see how he goes on the ball.

Dangerfield, Smith and Crouch/Thommo in the middle, with Sloane on the wing (loves gut running more than anyone) as well as Douglas.

Still think Danger would get the tag there at the moment so it would be interesting to see how Smith would transition.
I think we've seen smithers in congestion at stoppages from time to time. Very very effective. His ability to kick around his body (as opposed to say Patty's need for space and straight lines) is exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo has showed brief glimpses in various positions but has never really made a position his own. Mind you, he has had a bad run with injury. If his body can remain sound, 2015 should be a make or break year for him.

I'm so ****ing excited about next season. Smithers is easily my favourite player after the messiah and he killed it in the middle when he had a taste this year. Give him time to make that position his own and just look out. But thats just the beginning. We have some absolute class on board and even though we were s**t the last 2 years you could see glimpses. If Phil installs a hard, uncompromising edge into this group and directs them skilfully on game day, to which everything points he is well equipped to do, then we will be a force next year. I have the same feeling I had when we loosed Craig back in 2011, I reckon we're back. But this time we've got some gun personnel in Roo and Fages behind us looking to improve us constantly and our list is coming into its prime.

Most salient post so far this off-season.
Walsh will make or break Hendo.

If i had to take a bet.... break.
We really don't have any idea about this though, do we? Just because Phil likes to make it tough on the players, doesn't mean Hendo won't thrive in that environment. Phil might be the very thing Hendo needs. And, in any case, we've yet to get an inkling of what the new coach's gameplan/style is going to look like. Who knows whether Hendo is a good fit for that or not? To my way of thinking, he just needs what a lot of players do, a clearly defined role and decent, consistent run at it. Hendo has shown plenty of ability. It just needs to be pointed in the right direction. Hopefully, Phil is the man to do that.

Have been thinking about Hendo's role under Walsh for some reason a bit and I can't help but feel it won't be as a defender. For some reason I think he will get a heap out of him as a wingman or 3rd forward. Dont say that with too much conviction though.

As for Brodie Smith, I don't think he would have been an all-aus midfielder this year but he will be in time. Has some serious weapons.

Hendo, Mackay, Rory, Jaenschy and Smith rotating through the wings, midfield and HB line...
Hendo needs to clean up his disposal and defensive efforts. I could see him playing more forward than back next year thou.
Mackay needs to take the game on more and run both ways.
Rory just needs to keep being Rory. Lead by example Sloanedog.
Jaenschy needs to be more attacking with his kicking and taking the game on.
Smithers needs to get forward of centre, use his speed to get to 55 and let fly a lot more often next season.

Have been thinking about Hendo's role under Walsh for some reason a bit and I can't help but feel it won't be as a defender. For some reason I think he will get a heap out of him as a wingman or 3rd forward. Dont say that with too much conviction though.

As for Brodie Smith, I don't think he would have been an all-aus midfielder this year but he will be in time. Has some serious weapons.
I reckon they'll try and get Hendo as a tall mid.

just a hunch.

We really don't have any idea about this though, do we? Just because Phil likes to make it tough on the players, doesn't mean Hendo won't thrive in that environment. Phil might be the very thing Hendo needs. And, in any case, we've yet to get an inkling of what the new coach's gameplan/style is going to look like. Who knows whether Hendo is a good fit for that or not? To my way of thinking, he just needs what a lot of players do, a clearly defined role and decent, consistent run at it. Hendo has shown plenty of ability. It just needs to be pointed in the right direction. Hopefully, Phil is the man to do that.
Of course we don't know.

I've always said Hendo could be our most damaging player - or our most damaged.

I'm hopeful we can see the best of him.

Just saying if I had to bet definitively one way or the other... I would put my money on him not being able to change his natural tendencies to provide the level of toughness and ability to sacrifice his ody for the team that Phil appears to be looking for.

I'd be one of the happiest to be proven wrong as he has a ton of weapons.

As far as Hendo goes, I think we probably agree. What I'm questioning though is this notion that Phil is going to require a 'level of toughness and ability to sacrifice his body for the team' more so than any other coach. I think it's clear from Phil's interviews that he's going to be a pretty hard taskmaster, he's going to work them pretty solidly through pre-season and he's got a very strong focus on a team-first ethic...But I haven't read anywhere that his gameplan is going to rely on grunt and physical presence. Who's to say that he won't install a fast, free-flowing style of play where a pacy, athletic runner like Hendo will be at a premium? Just because Phil comes across as a tough guy doesn't mean he'll want a team full of tough guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back