List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I struggle to understand is how the mail is that no one inside the top ten seems keen on Ellis yet we are? And there are players that theoretically will slip out of the top ten and we have no interest in them?
Do we see something in Ellis that others don't or is it a blunder to be so strong on him?

Obviously I'm just going off what's been said in here lately but it doesn't really add up for me. Like for example if Laverde was available at our pick would we really be passing on him? When he's been considering a top 10 pick for a long time now and Ellis hasn't even been in that sort of conversation.

The thing is, it’s not just FJs decision it’s a list management decision. So guys like Dan Richardson and Blair Hartley would have some input into what attributes of a player should be given a priority.
We just have to see him play if we do select him. Who knows he could be a ripper like Brandon Ellis and not the flop many are predicting.

In fairness I don't think many have predicted him to be a flop, just not a supermegastar like some others are very very likely to be

With the club deciding against doing anything in the trade period and stating that they're investing heavily in the draft this year, makes our picks very important. They've stated for a long time that they've had 3-4 mids in line for our first pick. It makes you wonder who they are hoping to slide.

The thing I struggle to understand is how the mail is that no one inside the top ten seems keen on Ellis yet we are? And there are players that theoretically will slip out of the top ten and we have no interest in them?
Do we see something in Ellis that others don't or is it a blunder to be so strong on him?

Obviously I'm just going off what's been said in here lately but it doesn't really add up for me. Like for example if Laverde was available at our pick would we really be passing on him? When he's been considering a top 10 pick for a long time now and Ellis hasn't even been in that sort of conversation.

As others have posted, the club has said it believes there will 3 or 4 good players they believe could get through to our pick, That would indicate we rate players inside the top 10 and it’s just a matter
of if they will be available. People on here and other forums are just freaking out because of journos constantly linking us to Ellis.

If Ahern is available for instance I think we’ll take him for sure. Why not Weller or Laverde? I believe it’s because we have an emphasis on recruiting players who can win the ball. Not a bad emphasis to have.

This is all just my opinion of course

I agree and have been trying to stress how important this is. Theres obviously a reason why other clubs have by passed him. Same situation as conca all over again. If we dont pick him, he would go around pick 20 onwards.
Really frustrating at times. Almost fell asleep watching his highlights package and hurts to see how much of an x -factor weller/laverde/lever all bring.
Still hoping we get weller but I can just see us getting Ellis. Hope he proves the doubters wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have posted, the club has said it believes there will 3 or 4 good players they believe could get through to our pick, That would indicate we rate players inside the top 10 and it’s just a matter
of if they will be available. People on here and other forums are just freaking out because of journos constantly linking us to Ellis.

If Ahern is available for instance I think we’ll take him for sure. Why not Weller or Laverde? I believe it’s because we have an emphasis on recruiting players who can win the ball. Not a bad emphasis to have.

Can Ahern really win it better than Weller or Laverde though? If we prefer Ahern to Weller/Laverde I'm struggling to see what points of difference there are tbh. What's Ahern got that the other two don't?

The focus on floors would be incredibly stupid if that was the case.

Anybody with any education would know you have to use weighted averages based on probabilities!

Example: Just say we could pick Nick Reiwoldt or Marc Murphy with our pick.

If we ignore ceilings and probabilities of higher levels arguably Murphy has a higher floor than Reiwoldt because Reiwoldt has a bigger chance of being a flop so Murphy's floor is higher. That means you would pick Murphy ahead of Reiwoldt! Picking Murphy ahead of Reiwoldt would be just dumb!

Then this floor argument has another problem. The club is in the business of winning premierships. So ceilings are more relevant than floors because you need guys that excel in GF's. We don't want guys that only help us avoid the spoon!If RFC keep not getting near winning premierships eventually future supporter prospects will look to other clubs remembering no premierships is failure! So the club ultimately goes broke on stupid recruitment decisions!

I get what you are saying about floors and Ceilings but what is your opinion on Walls ?

I know for a fact that if in the slightest chance Peter Wright is at our pick, we will get him. They really rate this kid a lot.

Also, Weller is a huge Richmond fan and likens his style of play to Brandon Ellis and would love to sit on the other wing/half-back opposite him.

The question is whether there is an inside ball winning mid that is worth spending pick 12 on. Or do we add another elite outside player that is a top 5 talent.
Recruiting plans should be adaptable in any scenario. Shouldn't be just narrow minded.

As others have posted, the club has said mark believes there will 3 or 4 good players they believe could get through to our pick, That would indicate we rate players inside the top 10 and it’s just a matter

I am not that keen on Ahern either like one West Coast poster.

If anything the question mark on Ellis is his ability to win the ball. He has a great left foot! But does he have enough pace, reach and ball winning ability to win it at AFL level that's the question mark for me. Just looking at his highlights doesn't seem to have great spring and apart from the ball falling his way doesn't seem that great in contested footy. Does not seem overly aggressive either. Along with that is apparent inconsistent numbers so there could be a big risk he simply becomes a support/link player!

I am not that keen on Ahern either like one West Coast poster.

If anything the question mark on Ellis is his ability to win the ball. He has a great left foot! But does he have enough pace, reach and ball winning ability to win it at AFL level that's the question mark for me. Just looking at his highlights doesn't seem to have great spring and apart from the ball falling his way doesn't seem that great in contested footy. Does not seem overly aggressive either. Along with that is apparent inconsistent numbers so there could be a big risk he simply becomes a support/link player!
Add to this a foot injury.

The question is whether there is an inside ball winning mid that is worth spending pick 12 on. Or do we add another elite outside player that is a top 5 talent.
RecHackman/ plans should be adaptable in any scenario. Shouldn't be just narrow minded.

Exactly can't deal in absolutes conducive to control freaks. You have to give us humans room to grow!

If the inside mids are not there and the outside mids have question marks you have to go for others like KPP, or backman/forwards etc... Some might have the versatility you are looking for like Vlastuin.

You can't compromise on best available!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back