List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only issues with McDonald is he's not very athletic.

He's not that quick and he doesn't have a great vertical leap, which is pretty important in spoiling a marking contest. I'm concerned he will get torched a bit on the lead with AFL delivery.

He does have good natural size, decent hands and is a pretty good kick for a 197cm key defender.

I read a report in one of the papers that stated the exact opposite. Supposedly had good closing speed and atheticism.

Not judging one way or the other as I have never seen him apart from a couple of pictures.

I think the whole concept of the "oldest list in the AFL" is a bit of a beat up. I don't see it as a flag or bust situation at all. We all know that there is very little between the average age of a number of clubs' lists. Take out Boomer, Petrie, Spud and Waite, and we'd drop down 6 to 8 spots. But having these 4 players on the list doesn't mean we can't have some really talented youth on the list, and more importantly in our best 22. When you look at it from that angle, Luke McDonald, Atley, Turner, Brown and possibly Mullet are all under 22 and either in our best 22 or on the verge of it. Add to that pick 16 this year, who is likely to push into the side, as well as Dumont and Wood who will play games, and we may have more young players playing most weeks than some teams outside the 8. Not to mention the fact that our B&F winner is just 23, as is our vice captain.

There is no doubt that we have some positions that need attention, and Boomer and Petrie are still hard to replace based on what we know today. But most clubs have these type of issues.

Emma Quayle from The Age take on The Draft.

They're well placed now to use that selection (as well as their first pick) on a bit of dash and creativity.​

I hope Emma is right about that. I don't know enough to get hung up on kids' names, but I would really love to see us bring in some high quality dash this season, given where our list investment has been up to now - and it sounds as though there will probably be some exciting prospects to choose from at both of our first two picks.​

Late mail is Weller to Essendon, Laverde to West Coast.

Our first pick is going to be very interesting if we pass on Weller.

I rate Weller the best outside mid in this draft.
The "real" mail can be about the top few picks and what these clubs will do. How can one speculate on who Essendon gets, given 16 other picks have to happen before them? Any number of scenarios can unfold that will change what happens at pick 17. I think who ever is saying Weller to Essendon is basically an Essendon supporter hoping he gets through to them.

Would GCS seriously opt for Cockatoo over the local boy Weller?
In saying that, Weller is not THAT local. He moved to Gold Coast from Tassie quite recently when his brother was drafted by the Suns. He has no real attachment to Gold Coast, especially given his brother now plays for St Kilda.

My ideal draft would be....

16 - Cockatoo, Weller, Ahern or Garlett
25 - A second of the above if still available, or Oscar McD
36 - Tom Lamb

That said, last year I was utterly bewildered when we picked Ben Brown, and look how that turned out. I'll put my trust in our team.

In saying that, Weller is not THAT local. He moved to Gold Coast from Tassie quite recently when his brother was drafted by the Suns. He has no real attachment to Gold Coast, especially given his brother now plays for St Kilda.

I get that but he is at least somewhat established there. It'd be a big call to ignore that if both he and utensil are thought to be of a similar standard. This all presumes both are available at pick 15 of course. I guess we can't really lose if that's how things pan out anyway.

From a flight risk point of view I would think that Cockatoo is the safer bet for GC. I'm not expert, however I would think that an NT kid for welcome the warm climate of QLD.

Correct me if im wrong but didn't Mav Weller have problems fitting in at the Suns and wasn't very well liked by a lot of the players up there? Would his brother feel comfortable going to the same club, and would the Suns players feel comfortable with him coming in?

Not sure where that has come from.

Through reading Lachie's story since moving to QLD, it sound slike he feels part of the club at GC anyway. I think they will take him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like any of the following

16. Cockatoo, Garlett
25. Cockatoo, Garlett, McKenzie, McDonald, Vojo-Rainbow
36. McKenzie, McDonald, Vojo-Rainbow, McLean, Lonie, Daniels
That said, last year I was utterly bewildered when we picked Ben Brown, and look how that turned out. I'll put my trust in our team .
I thought the same thing.

No doubt about it, a;

16: Weller/Cockatoo/Garlett
25: Cockatoo/Garlett

Combination would be the stuff of dreams, absolute robbery.

No doubt about it, a;

16: Weller/Cockatoo/Garlett
25: Cockatoo/Garlett

Combination would be the stuff of dreams, absolute robbery.
Wondering what are the chances of getting two of those with 16 and 25. Don't seem all that high to me, but hope it happens.

Wondering what are the chances of getting two of those with 16 and 25. Don't seem all that high to me, but hope it happens.
Yeah, hopefully we get one of that group.

Then the conversation moves to the likes of Maynard, Blakely, Menadue etc at 25.

Wet dreams in TPA's case.
Wet dreams in all our cases toes. If we got Nakia and Weller we've committed robbery.

The table (and all our homes) would turn into this

McDonaldCelebration.gif

Is it just me or does it feel like this year there is less chance of us being disappointed? Seems like there should be at least a few decent players available to take at each one of our picks & regardless of what's taken ahead of us we should come out content with the talent selected.

Wet dreams in all our cases toes. If we got Nakia and Weller we've committed robbery.

The table (and all our homes) would turn into this

McDonaldCelebration.gif
I will never get sick of that gif.

If it was included as part of the NMFC gif of the year comp it would have sh/t it in.

Is it just me or does it feel like this year there is less chance of us being disappointed? Seems like there should be at least a few decent players available to take at each one of our picks & regardless of what's taken ahead of us we should come out content with the talent selected.
Yep, hence the comments about it being a deep, or even draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back