Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
we need a bullocking ball winning electrifying inside mid who kicks goals. his name is Cockatoo. We dont need half fwds half backs and wingman to mould into inside mids in 3 to 4 yrs time and might be a flop. laverde is nothing like stevie j. Hes more a half back, but has shown he can play in front of his opponent and take a chest mark. I do not see the freakish ability in him at all. I see more freak in cockatoo. actually I see every trait in him we need and what a lot of teams have. He will be a fan favourite and afl icon. if we ever wanted to win more ball in the middle in 2015 and take pressure off shuey etc we would take cockatoo. He is the DAMAGING mid we so crave. So many players have injuries early. majority get over them. Would we change our mind on having Darling now going through foot fractures or would we change our mind on Nic Naitanui having gone through groin adductor injury. Im behind the Cockatoo 110% I see parts of all the best players In him.

I'm starting to think you are Nakia, so I'll address you, you aren't as good as you say!!!

others may say different. even ones who will go higher

I like your passion, I really do but if the choice was Laverde or Cockatoo we'd be stupid to take Cockatoo.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Roll on this time tomorrow... Put us out of our misery so we can prepare for the meltdown.

Big Tones

All Australian
Jan 10, 2013
watching Rabbit
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U
A lot of the time its the reverse actually. Once they add more mass, a lot of the players become a little slower. I know for a fact, Smith and Schoefield have lost some of their pace since coming in to the AFL.

Indeed, Hutch would also have lost a bit as he's bulked up since we took him into the system.. Having said that he is quick enough when he goes to tackle opposition players - can recall him running down a few last season, and making the tackle count.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
Re: Laverde vs Cockatoo.

The problems with Cockatoo are obviously that 1) he doesn't have much exposed form and 2) he has had recurrent injury problems.
Laverde and Cockatoo offer the same basic traits that we're looking for; they're big and athletic with at the very least decent skills, and while they aren't full time midfielders now, they have the tools to potentially play at a high level there.
The difference is that Laverde doesn't have those problems. He's got the abilities without the high amount of risk.

If there's a choice between the two it's a no-brainer for me.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool

The problems with Cockatoo are obviously that 1) he doesn't have much exposed form and 2) he has had recurrent injury problems.
Laverde and Cockatoo offer the same basic traits that we're looking for; they're big and athletic with at the very least decent skills, and while they aren't full time midfielders now, they have the tools to potentially play at a high level there.
The difference is that Laverde doesn't have those problems. He's got the abilities without the high amount of risk.

Cockatoo has a contested game though.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

Cockatoo breaks out of packs with pure pace, strength in the mould of Shaun/Peter Burgoyne and ala Judd.

I haven't seen Laverde do it in congestion though.

That being said the risks with Cockatoo are very very high.

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Aren't North pretty set on getting Cockatoo? Surely this makes him out #1 target?

Just because the only highlights of the last two seasons were times when we trolled NM, doesn't mean that we should skip Laverde if he slides.

I'd be estatic with Laverde, pleased with Degoey and happy with any of Cockatoo, Weller or Duggan. Outside of those 5, Lever is the only other potential slider who wouldn't disappoint me somewhat.

Jun 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Cockatoo breaks out of packs with pure pace, strength in the mould of Shaun/Peter Burgoyne and ala Judd.

I haven't seen Laverde do it in congestion though.

That being said the risks with Cockatoo are very very high.

The only risk I see was his previous foot injury. WC would need to do their homework on that and get confidence. It was stated that it was the sort of injury that after surgery and rest it return back to 100% condition. The concern about lack of recent exposed form is almost meaningless.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The only risk I see was his previous foot injury. WC would need to do their homework on that and get confidence. It was stated that it was the sort of injury that after surgery and rest it return back to 100% condition. The concern about lack of recent exposed form is almost meaningless.

Yeah he's not as bad as Tom Swift who didn't even play for two years. Cockatoo was out for the year, came back and tore it up.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
The fact that he did not play in the U18 carnival is also a risk, in terms of exposure

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Looking forward to the invariable meltdowns regardless of who we pick.

If we pick someone who was meant to go top 5 the response will be: "There must be something wrong with him, our recruiters are clueless"

Get someone who is meant to go outside top 20: "Our recruiters are clueless old muppets"

Get someone around the mark: "We should have taken more of a risk"

Get a risky pick: "This will fail, why didn't they just go (x player)"

Whoever we pick: "He's good, but I was really keen on (x-player) who I think will be better".

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
Just because the only highlights of the last two seasons were times when we trolled NM, doesn't mean that we should skip Laverde if he slides.

I'd be estatic with Laverde, pleased with Degoey and happy with any of Cockatoo, Weller or Duggan. Outside of those 5, Lever is the only other potential slider who wouldn't disappoint me somewhat.

Happy to call Laverde as being a better pick than Dom Sheed (a renown junior accumulator who hasn't reproduced this at AFL or WAFL level with the WAFL GF being a real disappointment).

Laverde and if not available then Cockatoo. Cockatoo might be a of a stretch but I'd rather take a stretch with a firm top 15 player as opposed to some of WTF moments with previous picks in the 20's and taking players that could have lasted to rookie level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back