Adelaide Oval Review

Remove this Banner Ad

to add to the above I'd like to know if Marty is
1) a paid up member of the Crows, if so how many games he attends.
2) is he a member of a SANFL club and how may games he attends
3) how old Marty is, not in a derogatory sense but his posting on this matter reflects a die hard SANFL club supporter that hasn't come to terms with the direction and change in the footy landscape.

Truthfully what is the point of these questions, I get you don't agree with him but who cares what he answers, it adds nothing to a constructive conversation.

What I would like to know is what happens next year if an agreement is not reached?

now that the SANFL aren't burdened with the debt and overheads of running two AFL clubs

The two AFL clubs generate the vast majority of the SANFLs revenue.

Why you ask, everyone was happy and signed the agreement, now its a free for all bashing the SANFL because of their magical powers to get what they wanted. Forget the SA Governemnt and AFL, they were powerless to stop the Multi Billion dollar corporation from getting what ever they wanted, because of these so called magical powers forcing the entire world to bow to them! A truly remarkable thing are the SANFL!

Come on mate. The deal was only signed because there was a scheduled review. If that wasn't the case, then why does it seem to exist. What is happening now? Is it a review? Has it been going for nearly 3 months? Why are the SANFL going through this process if they don't need to? Why do they seem comfortable being the bad guy?

Come on mate. The deal was only signed because there was a scheduled review. If that wasn't the case, then why does it seem to exist. What is happening now? Is it a review? Has it been going for nearly 3 months? Why are the SANFL going through this process if they don't need to? Why do they seem comfortable being the bad guy?

Sorry Mate, there is no hope in hell of any organisation worth its salt entering into any type of arrangement that will determine their financial futures, on the hope a review which is only a discussion as is proven that its been going for close to 5 months with no resolution.

Would you sign away your financial future because it will be reviewed in 12 months, sorry if you believe in doing business like that, good luck for the future because you will need it!

A Bavarian friend of mine recently boasted that Buyern Munich just paid off their own stadium.
He also mentioned it took them only 8 years to own it outright. Valued around $700M. Not a bad effort

I'm not suggesting AFC are anywhere near as cashed up as the financial giants of German football but the prospect of owning our own stadium one day could be a long term goal. What an asset this could be for a club that was financial enough and bold enough to do so. Obviously this would leave us as the sole beneficiary and in full control.

It would require some very creative financial planning with the help of some generous corporate support.
Perhaps even involve Our cross town friends as Bayern did with a view to eventually buying out their share.

AO is magnificent now but I'm thinking it will age quickly and will need upgrading within 10 years. Who knows how long the "newness"will last! (not long I'm guessing) what with new stadia in Perth and across Australia in the planning and the unfavorable conditions of the SMA, I can see this fantastic stadium very quickly turning into a millstone around our necks.

Sorry Mate, there is no hope in hell of any organisation worth its salt entering into any type of arrangement that will determine their financial futures, on the hope a review which is only a discussion as is proven that its been going for close to 5 months with no resolution.

Would you sign away your financial future because it will be reviewed in 12 months, sorry if you believe in doing business like that, good luck for the future because you will need it!

Well, part of the deal was a review. The contractual obligation of the SANFL is to participate. The review can only be concluded when both parties agree. If they walk away from the review process, then indications are the govt. will step in. Remember the labor govt. in SA has quite a few Power supporters. They were behind the Power moving to AO. They are not going to get Power there only to see them go broke. That will leave egg on lots of faces.

You can laugh and scoff all you want, but there is the political reality.

If you are hinting that you know the SANFL will stonewall, I hope you are correct. As it will trigger changes that will restore some balance in favour of the clubs.

Well, part of the deal was a review. The contractual obligation of the SANFL is to participate. The review can only be concluded when both parties agree. If they walk away from the review process, then indications are the govt. will step in. Remember the labor govt. in SA has quite a few Power supporters. They were behind the Power moving to AO. They are not going to get Power there only to see them go broke. That will leave egg on lots of faces.

You can laugh and scoff all you want, but there is the political reality.

If you are hinting that you know the SANFL will stonewall, I hope you are correct. As it will trigger changes that will restore some balance in favour of the clubs.

I can appreciate this is just your hope & belief on how things might be resolved, but I don't quite follow what experience it might be that you are drawing on to make these conclusions.

the govt is obviously very reluctant (wisely) to intervene, the AFL has limited leverage and the past masters of the difficult negotiation (SANFL) are holding firm.

This has nothing to do with what your personal view might be of what you happen to believe is right, but rather what the underlying leverage is.

One party to seems to hold it, and they also believe they are morally right to use it.

I can appreciate this is just your hope & belief on how things might be resolved, but I don't quite follow what experience it might be that you are drawing on to make these conclusions.

the govt is obviously very reluctant (wisely) to intervene, the AFL has limited leverage and the past masters of the difficult negotiation (SANFL) are holding firm.

This has nothing to do with what your personal view might be of what you happen to believe is right, but rather what the underlying leverage is.

One party to seems to hold it, and they also believe they are morally right to use it.
The puzzling thing is Olsen says there will be a negotiated solution. But his actions are not mirroring his words. Rowie is denying he's an SANFL stooge, but he is marty like in his defence of the SANFL's actions, but he also says the clubs will get more money. I don't know if he is hanging on Olsen's words or he has been privy some information not in the public domain.

Fagan doesn't sound like he'll sign off on something he is not happy with.

Neither political party needs a shitfight over AO. Jay says he won't hesitate to take action if there is not a resolution by Christmas.

Maybe the SANFL was just stalling so they could use some of the extra AO money to pay down the Bank Debt, currently held with Bendigo? Sorry guys, this year's money is gone but next year......???? Not sure, but something is up. Either Olsen is lying about reaching a settlement with clubs or he's maneuvering to buy time.

The bottom line is the state govt. won't want this dispute to draw out into next season. Political pressure will mount. The AFC has nothing to lose, we'll break even again next year if there is no resolution. I can't see us bending over for the SANFL sans lube with Fagan. The situation is much more urgent for Port Power. They *might* break even with their increased membership prices.
In addition the AFL can't afford to have this dispute draw out anymore. They are keen to sell the "game day experience" that AO provides to attract crowds, but no other club is going to do it if it appears to be costing the clubs money. The stinky AO deal hangs in the air and it is unpleasant for all...... Except the SANFL.

100% correct.
However from where we stand, we as in the general public, we have no idea if there has to be an outcome from the review or not.
If the answer is not, then the SANFL holds all the cards, if the answer is yes then it becomes a lot more complicated.

Your comprehension of that is no better than anything else. And you should go read more of it. I have a family member who plays in this League by the way.

It collapsed as a result of the TFL Clubs overspending on players despite dwindling crowds and sponsorship. The Clubs had a $200,000.00 salary cap, the TFL were so piss poor in managing their Clubs that by the end of the 1998 season 8 of them were in crippling debt as the TFL steadfastly refused to address the Club's spending and looking at decreasing the salary cap.

The AFL were that shocked by the Biggs report, which by the way suggested that they start from scratch in a new independent Leage, they intervened. The AFL assuming some control for the back end of 99 season and 2000. At the end of 2000 after crushing debt, through no fault of the AFL, it was disbanded. Through total mismanagement and failing to see that the local State League clubs cannot continue to run at that level of expenditure with the AFL now the biggest part of the sport, their local comp imploded. And that was without an AFL team in the State. We have 2.

Their collapse had nothing to do with wanting to be part of the AFL. It collapsed before the AFL got there, and even they couldn't fix it until trying again 9 years later.

I lived up there in 2013.. I took my kids to watch Nightcliffe play, it was like a Tea tree gully size crowd.
That is about the level they are at.
I went to the grand final there was about 5000 there St Mary's beat Tiwi. It was a good game. nice warm night.
There a long way off anything like an AFL team.

I lived up there in 2013.. I took my kids to watch Nightcliffe play, it was like a Tea tree gully size crowd.
That is about the level they are at.
I went to the grand final there was about 5000 there St Mary's beat Tiwi. It was a good game. nice warm night.
There a long way off anything like an AFL team.
Of course they are and there is a difference between the NTFL teams and the Thunder, the NEAFL team as well but there local league is a well run comp. They became AFLNT in 2002 and the sky hasn't fallen in, far from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we'll be able to sell our tickets back to the club if we can't make a game.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-2015-afl-season/story-fnia3v70-1227134689561

Was interesting to see:
Port Adelaide, which averaged an 82 per cent member show rate this year, may offer any reserved seats sold back to the club to its general admission members before the public.

Adelaide’s member ‘show rate’ ranged between 85-90 per cent this season and chief executive Andrew Fagan said his club had pushed for the concept.

100% correct.
However from where we stand, we as in the general public, we have no idea if there has to be an outcome from the review or not.
If the answer is not, then the SANFL holds all the cards, if the answer is yes then it becomes a lot more complicated.

Sadly I think you're on the money that the SANFL holds all the cards.

The SANFL were never going to release the clubs from Footy Park unless there was something in it for them. The unfortunate thing i suspect is that to get the SANFL to agree to move to Adelaide Oval that they have been given carte blanche control of the stadium during Winter and they have just as much grasp and control over the revenue from Adelaide Oval as they did with Footy Park.

That is the confusing bit as the fact that they are engaging the clubs in the review seems suggest otherwise, but exactly what is not clear.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-26/better-cut-close-for-sa-clubs

Adelaide Oval, which McLachlan labeled "an unbelievable success" has not yet translated into profitable match day returns for the Crows and Power, who are presenting a united approach in their discussions with the SANFL, the AFL, the Stadium Management Authority and the South Australian government.

"It is clear in the clubs' view and this is shared by the AFL, that the allocation hasn't been right," he said.

"We are still in productive discussions with the SANFL and I am confident we will get there."

That is the confusing bit as the fact that they are engaging the clubs in the review seems suggest otherwise, but exactly what is not clear.
I believe the two(?) AFL clubs managed to wrench this concession out of the SANFL as their price to accept the deal. Unfortunately they weren't able to go the extra metre and get a commitment from the SANFL to rectify any short comings highlighted in the review. Hence the stalemate. It is going to take a pretty big stick from someone to convince the SANFL to give up any of it's hard won gains.

I believe the two(?) AFL clubs managed to wrench this concession out of the SANFL as their price to accept the deal. Unfortunately they weren't able to go the extra metre and get a commitment from the SANFL to rectify any short comings highlighted in the review. Hence the stalemate. It is going to take a pretty big stick from someone to convince the SANFL to give up any of it's hard won gains.

Hard Won?

And if no agreement is reached what happens next year?

And if no agreement is reached what happens next year?
We will still be playing at Adelaide oval... But members encouraged not to buy food & beverages...

Reality is the sa government &/or Afl will srep in beforehand.

We will still be playing at Adelaide oval... But members encouraged not to buy food & beverages...

Don't buy food anyway. It's way over priced and way under valued in taste. Have not done so for 10 years.

Not sure if reducing the SANFL's income stream would work if they have a guaranteed minimum, as we keep getting told.
Also hard to work out if there is or isn't a bona fide side to this as the clubs seem to think.
That would make it very interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back