List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

On Ellis, didn't EQ rate him as one of the best kicks in the draft?

Geez we need some of those
No we don't. We need speed no matter how poorly skilled they may be. Just want fast dudes. Keep up bro. :D

I am a huge supporter of Vlastuin. He is our most composed player already and just looks like he belongs there.

From a pure list balance point of view, Grundy was a pressing need. I wouldn't give up Vlastuin for Grundy, and if we had of taken Grundy, I wouldn't give him up for Vlastuin. Both would have been critically important for our list going forward. It's just trying to balance the list going forward.

Just like a Laverde or Weller over Ellis is the smarter list management decision.
Lids is our most composed player imo.

Not sure Lever is a bigger risk than Ellis who has had foot stress fractures. Our KPP stocks are just not talented enough and this is the draft to improve them. Sadly Richmond don't have the courage to improve. Ellis is just another foot soldier type."

I do not believe RFC have an adequate risk management assessment mechanism for recruits. By that I mean they do not accurately and properly value all the risks in the right way. I agree RFC probably overstate the risks associated with Lever and consequently undervalue him due to inappropriate recruitment assessments. I also believe they overrate our current backline credentials. I can say this with reasonable confidence because regarding Chaplin my rating would be closer to that of Port's and their exploitation of him in our last final.

I am happy to run the gauntlet with Lever, like Judd, like Selwood, like Heppell.

Last edited:
Mentioned the other day that a young bloke I know through cricket Pat McKenna has been spoken to by us and others.
Had no idea about his footy but he's the Aus under 19 cricket skipper.
So I asked Rod McPherson about him. He's from the area and I respect his opinion on junior talent more than anyone I can think of.
Certainly as far as people I know but he's a highly regarded person in the caper.
He was emphatic about him.
I think Mr Magic said he was compared to a Steve Johnson type and that's pretty much what Rod said.
Compared him to Breust.
He was encouraged to nominate for the draft by recruiters including ours apparently.
He led the goalkicking from half forward in the seniors for Gisborne in the Bendigo league this year and kicked 9 in a game. Played one under 18 game and kicked 16.
McPherson reckons he's just a pure pure footballer with awesome kicking skills and awareness.
Still young enough that if he doesn't go this year can play TAC cup next year.
Sounds like a great late round pick.
As Rod said he'd love the dogs to take him but they "can't get ******* anything right"
I'll be watching with interest and quietly hoping we take him.
Something I like about kids playing senior footy in the bush and succeeding.

Like I said before, I haven't seen him but if recruitment think he is worth a third rounder or whatever, go for it!

No we don't. We need speed no matter how poorly skilled they may be. Just want fast dudes. Keep up bro. :D
Don't we have later picks we can use on less skilled but still quick players?

Shouldn't we be picking the class players with our first pick?

The thing with Lever is the knee & the associated risk. Our dilemma is that if he wasn't a risk he'd be gone before our pick and the reason he might be available is because he's a risk! Therefore our aversion to risk makes him a no! The only thing we can bank on is that if we take Ellis, every player taken at 13 and below was not on our radar relative to our fall back position. 20hrs and we will know that list.
Was Levers' injury a contact injury or a simple movement injury? The reason why, is if its a contact injury its most likely just a situational injury, but a movement type could mean poor ligament or joint strength(just genetics) and could be a risk. See Patton as to what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to sign up to a site where you can download it from. I imagine it will be pretty time consuming but if you are still interested PM me and I'll give you the link. Otherwise there's this video that doesn't do him any justice.

Don't worry I know most don't them play besides the two televised games, normally I'm one of them but was able to watch a lot more this year.

The second video to me showed while he isn't lightning quick, he certainly isn't 'slow'.

We could nickname him Corey Feldman

36726_pro.jpg

Really hope it's not Ellis.
His a good kick but not great. He is not really inside mid. But doesnt do enough damage to be an outside player and isnt quick. Has foot injury issues and didn't test at the combine.

The second video to me showed while he isn't lightning quick, he certainly isn't 'slow'.

First twenty seconds of the first video put me off. Takes a mark, wants to go, hesitates, slows the play up, waits for an option, goes to kick and falters again.

We already have indecisive players on the list. Grigg, Newman, Houli, Petterd and Morris. Would rather someone who backs themselves in and goes with their gut instinct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back